Where to take a first time fisher (child) in Campbell River?

suburbboy

Hi folks,

While I’m not expert, I love to fish and try to get out pretty regularly.

My 12 year old cousin is coming to visit us while we’re on vacation in Campbell River and wants to try fishing. I suggested chartering (since I only have a canoe) but the family is resistant. I’m wondering if any of you have suggestions of where I could take him (with the canoe) to jig for some rockfish, or if I should try my luck on land (like fishing from the pier).

Thanks

Agreed pinks right along the island highway. When your in they won't even need waders. They are usually running solid in august. Get up early

Last edited:
I would’ve thought it’d still be on the earlier side of things, which is why I figured rockfish would be more of a sure thing (and easier for a 12 yr old first timer).
Is it predicted to be a good return by mid July this year?

i’m with you get a charter. spring salmon open up for retention july 15th and i’ll tell you nothing will break the spell of “screen time” like getting a kid hooked on fishing. it’s all my 13 y/o wants to do now.

That’s exactly what I’m trying to convince the family on, literally got into a bit of a tiff over it last night. Just need an option in the event that doesn’t work out.

I’ll certainly be fishing for springs in the salt out of CR, the weekend after (with friends).

I’ve got a fair bit of experience ocean canoeing (including multi-day trips), and caught a fair amount of small (under 2lb) fish off of it. Was considering somewhere calm like Browns Bay, under 500 metres from shore (wind and tide dependant ofc), because I know ppl fish off kayaks there. Figured somewhere something like the Tyee Club exists has gotta have some opportunities for non-motorized fishing.

Ofc if you have other thoughts that might be something to reconsider.

You seem to have no idea how easy it is to get into trouble . Browns Bay ? Try that when there is a strong NW going against a fast ebb. A canoe IS a recipe of disaster.... Find a safer place for the 12yr old.

But yes I think I’ll stick to land given I’m not super familiar with the waters, and in light of your strong recommendations
some of the tides, currents, and rips around CR can be terrifying even in a 20’ boat; the other guys warning you are legit. having said that, if you stick close to shore in front of CR say in front of Big Rock launch, look for the dwindling kelp beds , and you can have some fun jigging for kelp lings with a youngster.

Back