Daddys Toy rebuild project photos, June 2011- March 2012

daddystoy

Here are a bunch of photos of the mid 70's 18.5' Double Eagle that I rebuilt. My son who is doing a automotive mechanic apprenticeship rebuilt the engine with guidance from an experienced mechanic he was working with. It was a helluva a learning experience for me and him. Would I want to do it again? NOT LIKELY! But you never know! I could say a lot more but have a look and enjoy. Possible video footage to follow. http://s1343.beta.photobucket.com/user/dshirley4687/library/Boat rebuild project

Very nice job.... A lot of satisfaction there when she was done I imagine.

Thanks for all the compliments! There is definately a sense of pride you get after finishing. I still like to look back at the pictures. The crazy thing is I still dream of getting a 21' ish boat which would mean my pride and joy would go up for sale. I am having a hard time of letting it go just yet. We'll see.

Awesome project and workmanship! I like that you kept the original color as well. It looks like it catches fish too? Well done......:cool:

Just out of interest, how's the engine cooled? I'm just wondering about that with the aluminum manifold on the iron block.

The engine has fresh water cooling. There is a picture (or two) of the heat exchanger. It always had fresh water cooling and there never has been a problem with heating issues. I put 57 hours on the rebuilt motor in the 2012 season and all seems to be running fine. That is the only thing I didn't replace with the rebuild but my plan is to put a new one on for this season. I just feel with everything else being new I might as well replace the heat exchanger. I've owned the boat since 2001 so I know that the heat exchanger is at least 12 years old without having anything done to it, so I feel it's time to replace it. Considering that overheating could ruin all the hard work on the new engine I think it is money well spent.

looks awesome! very clean professional job.......makes me think I should give my double eagle a going over :)

Thanks. What do you have for a Double Eagle? I have to give credit to a buddy, Mike, who let me use his shop and was the main man in doing the fiberglass and gelcoat for me! I needed a hand in this area and he was the guy for the job. I worked with him and learned a lot, to say the least! I built a 10.5' hydroplane back in my high school days but doing this was considerably more involved. I am a carpenter so doing all the grunt work and wood work was right up my alley. I've been messing with this boat in some form or another for the past 11 years so I was comfortable doing all the different aspects of work involved.

Hey Dadstoy, my boat is also a 18.5. Hardtop cut out replaced with canvas. Inboard removed and podded.Currently in the process of changing layout inside boat. Made some adapters to relocate riggers on odd shaped gunnels. Made a removable fish cleaning station, wash down pump this weekend...... Wish I could decide what to do with seating :/

Good to hear you have kept your 'eagle all this time and still like fishing it!!!

I would be interested in seeing some pictures of your ride, especially your removable fish cleaning station. Sounds like you have done quite alot to your boat as well. They are a great boat for their size. There are times I think it would be nice to have all that deck space the inboard takes up. But in saying that I do like the inboard for a variety of reasons.

I'll snap a pic Dadstoy.... Super easy to make. You could whip one out in no time :)

Well done! A job like that takes a lot of patients.

Back