Cuttlefish Hoochies?

Red Monster

Does anyone use cuttlefish hoochies? Any tricks for using them? Maybe I'm overthinking it. lol

In Bamfield my buddy cut a hole in the side of the hoochie head for running the line through instead of the normal way, and that action really worked. I bet a cuttlefish moves a bit differently than a regular octopus hoochie through the water? I think they're a bit bigger too. Thoughts?

The offset hole for the line does work good, you have to play a bit and track results, but it does give a more erratic action. Going all the way to the side might not be necessary, just offsetting it a bit makes a difference, can always be moved again.

The owner of the Seabeam Resort in Bamfield introduced them to me ten years ago and they are about all I use if fishing with hootchies. I run them with a single hook and ball swivel with one bead. The swollen look is interest. I run about four feet of 50# leader.

The owner of the Seabeam Resort in Bamfield introduced them to me ten years ago and they are about all I use if fishing with hootchies. I run them with a single hook and ball swivel with one bead. The swollen look is interest. I run about four feet of 50# leader.
Does your hook reach the back of the skirt? I can appreciate a 50 pound test transferring all of the action to the cuttlefish hoochie.

Thanks, I think I'm on to something worth trying here. :cool:

Any thoughts on leader length for cuttlefish? Longer or shorter than hoochies? Other ideas?

Any thoughts on leader length for cuttlefish? Longer or shorter than hoochies? Other ideas?
I make sure I use at least 40lb test and sometimes 50 fluorocarbon. Stiffer-seems to give a better action and I shorten up a bit but only an inch or so especially if I have bulked it up with mylar or hair.

I make sure I use at least 40lb test and sometimes 50 fluorocarbon. Stiffer-seems to give a better action and I shorten up a bit but only an inch or so especially if I have bulked it up with mylar or hair.
I used 50lb fluorocarbon, and it worked well, but the leader may have been a bit too long, longer than for regular hootchies. I think I'll try 40 to 42 inches this summer. I found some 60lb fluorocarbon I can try; it looks quite stiff.

I'll post some images later when I get some bigger crimps. I think we need a lot more rigged cuttlefish hoochie images around here, an under valued lure?

I used 50lb fluorocarbon, and it worked well, but the leader may have been a bit too long, longer than for regular hootchies. I think I'll try 40 to 42 inches this summer. I found some 60lb fluorocarbon I can try; it looks quite stiff.

I'll post some images later when I get some bigger crimps. I think we need a lot more rigged cuttlefish hoochie images around here, an under valued lure?
I just use 60 lb mono and a 44 inch leader with cuttle fish. Works for me with the speed I like to troll at

After tying up the hootchie I wrap my leader 3.5 times length ways around the flasher which makes about 38,39 inches. I prefer tandem 4/0 or 5/0 gammy and I tie so the hooks are off set from each other. I also like to pull a few tentacles off to make the hootchie sparser, mostly use good glow beads to bring the bottom hook just past the tentacles.

I use glue to attach a smiley blade to the hoochie then string in the leader with the hooks but not too successful staying on there, not much sticks to silicone hoochie
Having the smiley blade makes an erratic action, great without a flasher but a dummy close by
This one I used SS wire to run through the lure and now stays put and attaches to a swivel and an 5/0 VMC open eye, also I never have to fix the 3 pink beads and the skirt stuffed inside after fighting a fish because before when the fish runs it slides to the flasher
20230207_131708.jpg

Last edited:
I use glue to attach a smiley blade to the hoochie then string in the leader with the hooks but not too successful staying on there, not much sticks to silicone hoochie
Having the smiley blade makes an erratic action, great without a flasher but a dummy close by
This one I used SS wire to run through the lure and now stays put and attaches to a swivel and an 5/0 VMC open eye, also I never have to fix the 3 pink beads and the skirt stuffed inside after fighting a fish because before when the fish runs it slides to the flasher
View attachment 89435
Do you tie your leader to eye that is through the smiley blade? Do you have a picture of the hook end I’m a visual learner lol.

Do you tie your leader to eye that is through the smiley blade? Do you have a picture of the hook end I’m a visual learner lol.
I clip a snap swivel to tame the action, if I just tie a leader, it makes it more erratic

Attachments

• 20230207_131806.jpg
    20230207_131806.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 90
Back