Custom moocher build

Burban

Hey all,

My spring'n partner and I are treating ourselves to a couple of custom rods to be wrapped by a friend of mine. Our component supplier is recommending we go we an EVA lower handle to reduce wear on the cork from the pressure of being in a rod holder. We have our hearts set on the cork look, I don't think I can bring myself to put a black EVA lower handle on this rod.

I was thinking about this prior to ordering the components, and I've been looking at my current rods handles. I have a Trophy rod with classic cork and it has a permanent but slight dent in it, I have a Diawa rod with an EVA handle which also has a dent. Then I have 2 Trophy's with what I believe is high density composite cork that doesn't show any dents and is very very dense but looks like cork.

My question for you guys who've had custom mooching rods built is what cork or material did you use for your lower handles?

Secondary question - does anyone like a specific rod holder that is less hard on cork over time? A couple different holders we were looking at:

http://www.folbe.com/fishing-rod-holders/advantage-rod-holder/view-all-products.html

http://scotty.com/product/no-222-sidewinder-sidemount-2/

http://scotty.com/product/no-470-rocket-launcher-with-locking-sidedeck-mount/

I think Id rather live with the dent and hope nothing drastic happens then go with the black EVA. Or try and find some HDCC rings which I haven't looked into yet.

Thanks all!

I have scotty hps with the pro pack and they haven't done any cork damage.... I prefer them over any other rod holder ive used and I also believe they are easier on the cork...pro pack is the 470 rod holder just setup differently.... I run trophy titans

Thanks Fishin Solo... your referring to this setup?

http://scotty.com/product/no-1106-depthpower-downrigger-36-60-2/

I don't stack usually so I could just swap out the stock holders for the rocket launcher type. I was thinking already they would be easier on the cork as well just by looking at them, but I'm wondering what the general consensus is on them.

yeah that's the ones. The 470 holder came on my scotties it'svirtually the same holder except has a stainless wrap on it.

If you like go with composite cork lower handles. That being said good quality cork will last a long time before they get chewed up. Eva foam grips are super lame on custom rods.......just don't do it.

Gotta agree, EVA sucks
Butt sections of all my customs that require the "cork look" get a blond burl cork, it ads a bit of weight over natural cork but its negligible for a rod that sits in a rod holder.
Another option if you aren't stuck on the traditional cork look is the carbon or composite butt sections, these hold up to pretty much anything and in carbon weigh the same as cork.
Another benefit of carbon or composite is that it will slide out of the tube (rocket launcher) style holder much easier when torqued under pressure than cork.

@noluck Which model of Folbe do you run, the F500 series that mounts to your downrigger boom or do you have it rail/gunnel mounted? I would get the boom mounted since I already have Scotty mounts on my gunnel.

All the pics and the vid I watched are levelwind's. Do rods with mooching reels face backwards easily enough? I suppose you just have to adjust them properly so they do.

@Sr SQ Thanks, when we told them we had our hearts set on cork and didn't want to go the EVA route they recommended burl cork as well. We've been looking at carbon as well, but aren't quite sold on the look for this particular build.

edit: we don't mind composite cork, and we like the carbon handles its just not what we were envisioning for this build.

Last edited:
I would second the carbon fiber rear grip, and use an x-flock wrapped EVA for the foregrip. I've built all my "rod-holder" rods with that combo, and the carbon fiber is bullet proof and performs better than anything going in and out of the holder.

Now if you simply can't live without a cork look, then I would second the recommendation of a burl cork rear grip, maybe even with a burl foregrip as well, depending on aesthetics. It's harder, more dense, and as mentioned above heavier. You can do some really interesting things with burl. I like a rich burl grain, accentuated with "tru-oil" coats and sanded down. Looks sharp. Let me know if you want a pic or example, I have a few laying around. Sky's the limit when it comes to building. . .have fun!

fb

Here's a couple moochers with the carbon fiber rear grip and x-flocked eva foregrip. One piece of advice if you build, don't skimp on the reel seats! The one set up as a casting rod is a jigging rod, with the tru-oiled burl cork. The tru oil gives it a protection layer, and gives it a bit of a wet look, which brings out the grain. Bringing out the grain, NO DOUBT, helps you catch more fish :D
IMG_20170210_204125795_zpshldw2rj1.jpg

IMG_20170210_204152601_zps5oqdhj4w.jpg

IMG_20170210_204222011_zps6qa8avea.jpg

IMG_20170210_204213837_zpsw6x1xetc.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Fishbadger, appreciate it. I do like the looks of your carbon fibre builds, and the burl looks good with the tru oil coating.

I think it will come down to a game time decision when we get to his shop and line up the materials in person, but we are leaning towards the burl for this build. The carbon fibre handle will look nice with my gun metal grey Trophy Tyee reel so Ill keep my eye on that for the next build for sure. I'm configuring my handle to be a medium heavy centerpin rod for springs in the river as well which is why I'm also leaning towards the burl.

We do like the look of the boom mounted Folbe's and will likely be ordering a set of those as well.

Thanks for the input everyone, if anyone else has any custom build experiences feel free to add, I appreciate it.

A mooching rod or a centerpin rod requires two hands on the rod at times.The comfort from having cork insulated handles in the cold is great ,DSCF2075.JPG aswell as a anti vibration when in the rod holders.The dent you will learn to love.

well if your going live bait mooching i might just lend you one of my 10'-6 one piece hand built glass job nothing like it
but then it would spoil you for anything else .....

Thanks for the offer Wildthing lol, although there some very successful live moochers in my neck of the woods we are trollers... haven't gotten into live bait.

Id also have to have a one-piece sticking out the back window of my shortbox F150 if I were doubling it as a CP rod as I intend too, haha :D

Thanks again for the input yall.

Back