Custom boat ...or "off the shelf"...?

Seafever

Sure...you can go down to the boat dealer...and there's a nice brand new aluminum (fill in the blank) on a trailer, turn-key and basically ready to go.....for x amount of dollars, and the x is usually a high amount.

Now instead of that, you go to an aluminum boat builder and you :-

(a) use a plan from one of his stock hulls and then change things around to your liking......such as adding a cuddy, lockers, storage, splashwell and what-have-you....even maybe changing the hull thickness

(b) you go there with your own hull design and have it built your way from the ground up...

Are we talking comparative dollars to the off-the-lot boat? (I'm guessing probably not)

Way higher?

Getting sick of looking at boats that are overpriced and nowhere close to my needs or wants......possibly thinking of going plan (a)........

Anybody done this recently? (I know people have).........

I'm thinking in the 18 to 21 ft range........

Who do I sign the estate over to?..............:cool:

How about getting a slightly used one ... half brand new lot sticker price.
Use the savings to finish/mod it your way or just compromise... theres no such thing as a perfect boat, ask JAC
cheers

There's not much around used that I want on the lots . What little there is, is way overpriced and doesn't have what I would like.

Most of the stuff I see on Craigslist is just somebody's worn out weird wreck but they want too much for them . (up here)......and still not to my liking.

Can't be bothered doing the "states" thing......although I see people have great success with that sometimes.....

Lots of old fibreglass boats around used........but I'm not going fibreglass.......

I have done 3 project boats since 1993. Each one had a different purpose and I couldnt find what I wanted any other way.
You will spend more, but how much depends on your ability to do some of the details yourself.
Especially with aluminum hulls - great if you can weld yourself or have a friend..but paying shop rate?? I would be careful then, because there is always changes to be made as you go

Designing boats from scratch is the most expensive way to go, better to go and take the best-for-you existing design and tweak it from there.

When we went searching for new hull designs, even way back in 1992, we found most boat builders would only tweak their existing hulls just a little bit, and it was hard finding a builder to take on building a boat from scratch. The current builds are designed by Cope but built buy a third party, which means that you are not stuck on just one builder, you can send the design file out to a half dozen builders for pricing, timing of the build, and whether or not they are willing to work with a new boat design (you would be surprised how many do not want to use or work with a designer or architect). The upside to this is that you get a custom boat, built to your spec's and needs, plus the enjoyment of spending money:).

Used boats do hold their value, I have sold 6 of my 19's in the last year, for very close to what I was asking. Had a few emails from people telling me good luck in selling them as they thought the price was too high, but when you go to replace a boat like that, you find out what it really costs to build and outfit them. Prices have definitely increased over the last few years for a custom boat, mostly due to materials and labour, as we are competing with the oil patch for welders, so shop rate has increased, it takes a good wage to keep a good welder. Nobody works for free and sometimes the cheapest is not always the best:). Same old story, my stuff/labour is worth what I am charging, but your stuff/labour is way to high and you must be crazy for asking/charging that. LOL

I saved by doing all the rigging and finishing myself; I do save some money doing it, but mostly do it because all boats are outfitted and finished the same way and if there is a problem, I know where to start, plus I actually like doing it:). It takes me at least 40-50 hrs to install the interior, all the electrical, tabs, steering, fuel systems, and other toys (wash-down, fish locker macerator pump, fishing equipment, etc).

Boats suck up money, something I have learned (the hard way:)) over the last 30+ years of having them. Always amazed at some people who will buy a $700-800 rod and reel combo but will not put a VHF radio on their boat or even have quality mooring ropes to tie up with, something I see up here in the harbour all the time.

Hope I didn't rant, but have spent a fair bit of money and time in the last 4 years designing and building our new boats, thought I would just give you my honest opinion of what it takes to build from scratch. Lot of effort to get them to this stage, but anyone who has had a chance to ride in the new hulls have been extremely impressed, and that is what counts on my end.

Good luck in your search:)

Regards,

Fishyboy

I just had a custom hull built by Northwest aluminum craft and did all the rigging, glass, paint, wiring, EVERYTHING myself. Saved a ton a got exactly what i wanted. Im not done yet but water tested on the weekend and she ran amazing. Alot of hours invested in her so far, and alot more to go.

Started out like this. IMG_3983.jpg

And now looks like my sig pic. Coming along nicely i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coachman very nice and the way to go if you have the knowledge=you made my lottery boat. Seafeaver have you looked at Copes plans with material and you build? Order the plan and build with all extras you want. Just an option I was informed of, not a task I would take. A great idea to plan.

HM

Thanks.

Seafever. What is your budget.?

hi Coachman,
what did the bare hull run ya if you don't mind me asking? can pm if you prefer. interesting. I have a fully fitted boat but like new projects and that would be a good one!

You'd have to contact doug at NWAC for the cost of a hull. Out of respect for Doug and his business, hope you understand.

certainly do... makes sense,
thxs for the reply,

How about getting a slightly used one ... half brand new lot sticker price.
Use the savings to finish/mod it your way or just compromise... theres no such thing as a perfect boat, ask JAC
cheers

This is true. But everyone seems to think you have to lose money on boats, you don't!!! If you find the right boat at the right price new or used put in a little elbow grease use it for a season and sell it your can put a Couple K in your pocket. There is no perfect boat this is a absolute true fact you need to think really hard on what and where you will use the boat and find the best boat you can within your budget that will fit your needs. I love boats and have learned much from the different boats I have owned and worked on?

I agree 100% with JAC it is the same way I look at it. I can't justify spending too much money on boat I barely use but customize it for what you need/want and know if the boat can hold the value of the money you are putting into it and like JAC says there is not perfect boat. I do enjoy making changes on my boat but mostly esthetics and if I had a shop I would do more extensive modifications but they have to be practical not just for appearance although I do like the boat to look good, it is not the priority. I call my the "di-stresser" because I work on it partly to forget my work (Site Supervisor for the building of 20+ houses at a time).

Back