Currents off of Sooke (General Area)

Newf

Crew Member
Talked to a guy today who recently bought a boat, keeps it at Cheanuh, and wants to try halibut fishing. He's not new to fishing just hasn't anchored for halibut. He has an anchor system from Trotac. He wanted to know what folks use to check currents in the general area of Sooke. Can anyone help so I can point him in the right direction?

Fed him with the little info that I know but did recommended that he go with a guide or someone familiar with the area and learn the safety aspects of anchoring before trying it himself.

Thanks Kinetic. I use Dairiki.org and Race Passage for where I anchor but didn't see a location for up in that area. I mentioned the current atlas to him so maybe he will pick one up.

Thanks Kinetic. I use Dairiki.org and Race Passage for where I anchor but didn't see a location for up in that area. I mentioned the current atlas to him so maybe he will pick one up.
It goes as far as Otter Point, and i've used it for as far as Jordan River (adjusting time).

Depending on what head unit he has, you can access real time tide data on them. I was just checking out JDF east, race rocks and Constance bank on my Lowrance hds live from my driveway in the Okanagan.

Murrays table always for southern JDF. You can get the book at Trotac and use atlas. Very accurate and good to be familiar with as beginner.

It is extremely handy for salmon fishing as well just to understand what currents are doing visually.

Murrays table always for southern JDF. You can get the book at Trotac and use atlas. Very accurate and good to be familiar with as beginner.

It is extremely handy for salmon fishing as well just to understand what currents are doing visually.
I use this as well, just get the yearly updated page guide thingy for the book. Works great, somtimes you don;t have to move to far to not be trolling backwards!

Back