Cuba - Information on locations, guides, resorts for a Oct/Nov trip?

A buddy and I are considering a fishing trip to Cuba this fall and hope some of you could help out.
I have searched the site and got some great info.
Researched (googled) cuba fishing and found some good info.
Avalon, seems to dominate the guide business?
But are there other options? smaller operators?
Locations? Atlantic or Caribbean side? West or East end?

Like the idea of fly fishing salt estuaries or inshore (like Bermuda, Cabo, Turkey). Can you stay at a location to offer both?

Not really looking for the Hemingway experience, but rather consistant tarpon, bone, etc.

Would go for a week and hope to fish 3-4 of those days.

Thank you.

I just returned from Cayo Santa Maria which is on the north coast. I did some internet searching before I went and it was all pretty accurate. Cayo Santa Maria offers estuary, inshore, and offshore fishing.
The guide services are limited to what the government authorizes and there isn't really much choice. My trip was with the family so I couldn't spend too much time away fishing.
I did fish from shore near the resort, on the causeway, and from a Hobie Cat.
I brought cheap telescoping rods with me to ease transport.
I didn't really care if they made it back. I also brought an assortment of lures. I wasn't fly fishing.
The locals thought all my gear was a little light. I had 20 and 25lb steel leaders. They also weren't impressed with the lures....they were bait fisherman.
The Hobie Cat operators at the resort were very interested in fishing. Technically for them it's 'under the table'. They charged $20 per hour but it worked out to more like $10.
They had their own mix of heavily used gear and the guy I went out with knew what he was doing.
Overall, I had a good time fishing there and will do it again. Traveling with the gear was easy. Day 1 I'd start walking around the resort with a fishing rod...I missed some fishing opportunities learned from staff because they came up too late in the trip.
Fishing gear is hard to get like everything in Cuba so bring extra to barter/tip/share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalku

I just returned from Cayo Santa Maria which is on the north coast. I did some internet searching before I went and it was all pretty accurate. Cayo Santa Maria offers estuary, inshore, and offshore fishing.
The guide services are limited to what the government authorizes and there isn't really much choice. My trip was with the family so I couldn't spend too much time away fishing.
I did fish from shore near the resort, on the causeway, and from a Hobie Cat.
I brought cheap telescoping rods with me to ease transport.
I didn't really care if they made it back. I also brought an assortment of lures. I wasn't fly fishing.
The locals thought all my gear was a little light. I had 20 and 25lb steel leaders. They also weren't impressed with the lures....they were bait fisherman.
The Hobie Cat operators at the resort were very interested in fishing. Technically for them it's 'under the table'. They charged $20 per hour but it worked out to more like $10.
They had their own mix of heavily used gear and the guy I went out with knew what he was doing.
Overall, I had a good time fishing there and will do it again. Traveling with the gear was easy. Day 1 I'd start walking around the resort with a fishing rod...I missed some fishing opportunities learned from staff because they came up too late in the trip.
Fishing gear is hard to get like everything in Cuba so bring extra to barter/tip/share.

hey sierra, I'm going to be a Buenavista in August - any general tips to save me some hastles? I wouldn't mind fishing, but won't bring anything with me so be more along the lines of charter or hire a guy to take me out for fun (my suitcase gets filled with the snorkel gear!) How did you do with the food? I hear that is the big challenge!

This was the third time we've been to Cuba. I've never really had an issue with the food before but this time it bugged me. I ended up happiest getting made to order food at the buffet...eggs at breakfast, fried rice at night, etc.
Like I said, Day 1 make it known you want to fish. There will be locals at the resort who fish.
I recommend the Hobie Cats. We went out to the offshore reef and beyond to find fish.
If Buenavista doesn't have any guys I can recommend The guy at our resort.
There is only one marina in Cayo Santa Maria. You can book charters at the resort but I found you can get better prices cutting out the middle man....same for taxis and almost everything in Cuba.
Check online. There are seasons for the different fish...like here. Oh, and the resort kitchen will cook a catch for you and/or there are always
Locals to take any catch.

Deewar
Don't count on local gear...you should bring your own to be certain about condition (***leave your hooks in your checked baggage or security will take them away). Food is usually adequate at hotels and sometimes good but don't expect gourmet! Be a bit cautious about getting someone to cook your catch...Ciguatera can be an issue...depending on the hotel, staff may not cook your fish (e.g. barracuda).

The Hobies are an option but generally seem to focus on reef fishing. "Consistent" tarpon/bonefish requires a bit more organization. An area like Santa Maria/Las Brujas offers excellent tarpon (big) but the rates have skyrocketed. Cayo Coco/Paredon/Romana/Cruz offers excellent bonefish and opportunities for permit and tarpon - but again Avalon and similar outfits prevail (some suggestions that Avalon is jacking their prices up substantially for 2016). Cayo Guillermo provides good opportunities for offshore including wahoo and sailfish depending on the season. For consistent bonefish and tarpon I would look at Las Salinas/Rio Hataguanico (near Zapata National Park). Excellent opportunities for bonefish (Salinas) and tarpon (Rio). Avalon is in the area but there are locally operated options (via Felipe Rodriguez Alonzo but I dont have contact details). I think they will do day trips but it is a long drive...I would suggest staying in the area (e.g. Playa Larga Hotel). Access via Varadaro or Havana. I would strongly suggest contacting someone like Fish Tales Fly Shop in Calgary (403-640-1273). They have been doing trips to Cuba for 15+ years and should be able to help. Talk to Terry, David or Nancy.

Hemingway marina in Havana ask for Willy. Wahoo bloodbath last time I was there 300 4hours.

Back