Cruising to Gulf Islands 1st Time

GearFly

For the last two years I have been restoring a 1986 22’ Olympic Hardtop Twin Outboard (2 stroke) cabin cruiser. Live in Oregon and have had her in the salt a couple of times, solid boat. The purpose of the boat was to be able to sleep two and go island hopping, fishing, crabbing, prawning, and scuba diving before we got too old to enjoy it. The time has come and we are planning a 2022 voyage from Anacortes WA to the southern gulf islands (south of Nanimo and North of Victoria). We have about 10-14 days including a day of trailering on each side. I have a lot of questions:

1. What is the best time to go given the above objectives? The shoulder seasons of either June or September seem appealing.

2. Recommended prawn gear (we crab in Oregon, but no shrimp/prawn populations within reach) for a first time setup.

3. is there a place to download coordinates for Rockfish conservation areas or marine protected zones ( want to avoid these areas)? Have a North American Navionics Gold card.

4. We fish for halibut here only in spring in about 250’ and drift (drag bottom) with current to catch them. What is the technique around the islands, how deep should I be prepared to fish?

Thanks for reading.

GearFly

We will likely be under restrictions for Chinook from April 01 to July 15 in that area.
Catch and release only.
Halibut on the inside is scratchy, Lings, rockfish and crab should be good.
Prawning will open to commercial fisheries June 01 ( i believe) which may impact
productivity.

In terms of groundfish carefully check the location of RCAs -Rockfish Conservaton Areas they are widespread on the Inside.

September would be my choice.

You might want to consider the West Coast of the island or further up the inside where there are less restrictions. The gulf islands are beautiful and a lot of fun to explore but fishing opportunities are become more scarce. Like others have said the prawning is useless once the commercial guys get out there. If Halibut is the goal then stay further South or on the outside. Plenty of opportunities for Lings all around the gulf islands but they're closed from Oct 1st to March 31st. Salmon fishing will likely be closed again from April 1st-July or August. Download the Fishing BC app. You'll be able to search regs off a map. It's far from perfect though.

I would favor September for weather, and if you are keen on prawning, some sites are starting to recover from commercial opening by then. Prawning during commercial opening in June is not worthwhile.

One thing to bear in mind is our weather in June can be a roll of the dice. Despite the heat this past June it is not the norm. It can be quite wet.

@Bugs is bang on about prawning.

Anchorages and moorages will be likely much more quiet after Sept long weekend.

There is a book out there about anchorages in the Southern Gulf Islands you may want to search for if you don't already have it.

I've spent years in the Gulf Islands and early September is a good choice. Forget prawning and hali fishing. Crabbing is okay - near estuaries in the eel grass. Remember to get your saltwater license. Go to DF0 online for the RCA's and check closures but consider targeting Lings. Again, check for closed areas such as Pender Bluffs and for seasonal openings for salmon but definitely rig up for those. Occasionally lings are found trolling for salmon.

Clear customs at Bedwell Harbour. For markets, sightseeing and pubbing, Ganges is cool. Sidney and the Spit is also worth a look. Montague Harbour is a popular anchorage. I wouldn't miss a visit to Mayne, Pender and Galiano, either. Lots of information online.

You might want to consider the West Coast of the island or further up the inside where there are less restrictions. The gulf islands are beautiful and a lot of fun to explore but fishing opportunities are become more scarce. Like others have said the prawning is useless once the commercial guys get out there. If Halibut is the goal then stay further South or on the outside. Plenty of opportunities for Lings all around the gulf islands but they're closed from Oct 1st to March 31st. Salmon fishing will likely be closed again from April 1st-July or August. Download the Fishing BC app. You'll be able to search regs off a map. It's far from perfect though.
Firstly, thank you all for the rapid And detailed responses.

Rain City what would be considered further South for Halibut? South of Victoria? What are typical halibut depths in your areas? Sounds like September is the time to go. Also seems like prawns and ling cod should be the emphasis, with potentially some salmon fishing depending on regs.

We are planing on nightly moorage (slips) as opposed to anchorage for two reasons: get off the boat w/o a tender and the ability to make reservations.

As this trip developed I am sure I will have more specific questions.

Thanks again for the good start.

GearFly

Firstly, thank you all for the rapid And detailed responses.

Rain City what would be considered further South for Halibut? South of Victoria? What are typical halibut depths in your areas? Sounds like September is the time to go. Also seems like prawns and ling cod should be the emphasis, with potentially some salmon fishing depending on regs.

We are planing on nightly moorage (slips) as opposed to anchorage for two reasons: get off the boat w/o a tender and the ability to make reservations.

As this trip developed I am sure I will have more specific questions.

Thanks again for the good start.

GearFly
Correct, off Vic. I have no experience fishing them though myself.

Also I'd say that having just a first stop planned is great but keeping the schedule open to new options after that is key. Some of my favorite anchorages and adventures were found after meeting people at the dock and hearing about their favorite spots.

Depending on where you plan on going I would launch in Bellingham or Blaine as they are closer to the Gulf Islands.

For the last two years I have been restoring a 1986 22’ Olympic Hardtop Twin Outboard (2 stroke) cabin cruiser. Live in Oregon and have had her in the salt a couple of times, solid boat. The purpose of the boat was to be able to sleep two and go island hopping, fishing, crabbing, prawning, and scuba diving before we got too old to enjoy it. The time has come and we are planning a 2022 voyage from Anacortes WA to the southern gulf islands (south of Nanimo and North of Victoria). We have about 10-14 days including a day of trailering on each side. I have a lot of questions:

1. What is the best time to go given the above objectives? The shoulder seasons of either June or September seem appealing.

2. Recommended prawn gear (we crab in Oregon, but no shrimp/prawn populations within reach) for a first time setup.

3. is there a place to download coordinates for Rockfish conservation areas or marine protected zones ( want to avoid these areas)? Have a North American Navionics Gold card.

4. We fish for halibut here only in spring in about 250’ and drift (drag bottom) with current to catch them. What is the technique around the islands, how deep should I be prepared to fish?

Thanks for reading.

GearFly

Thanks for reading.

GearFly
I would launch in point roberts. It puts you in the perfect starting point to hit the Canadian and Us islands. Fishing will be open in the states for at least a week. July 1st- 8th. Before the pandemic I fished out of point Roberts. Crossing over to active pass is fast. From there you could boarder check at Pender island or if you have nexus call in. I love fishing in the US side. But with all the restrictions it's more challenging. So I have both licenses. Orcas island has a ton of cabins with docks. You should book soon, last year it was hard to find places to stay. US or Canadian sides.
To answer you questions, I'd go in September. Leave the prawn traps at home, bring the crab traps. There are apps that tell you what area you're in and the general rules. I trust the guys on here. If I wasn't sure I'd dm a guy local to that area. Halibut is a challenge. I generally only fish salmon but when i fish around susha island (spelled wrong) I usually get lingcod. Gulf islands are also good for lings.

Lots of good info above. I would only add:
- Navionics charts already have the RCA's on - for the past several years - they are marked in faint red lines. Look at the online regs and RCA maps, and then at your charts.
- Gulf Islands [or almost any] marinas will be quieter in June or September, and as others have said, the weather and fishing will both probably be better in September. Gulf Islands are packed with cruisers in the summer months.
- If you want a wilder experience with roughly comparable water conditions, trailer to Port McNeill, and fish Queen Charlotte Straits and the Broughtons - far less traffic, far more fish, including halibut. We like to mix nights at anchor with marina nights for showers, laundry and an occasional meal off the boat.

with roughly comparable water conditions
I love the Port McNeil/Telegraph Cove area and definitely the fishing and wildlife viewing is far better than the SGI. However, in no way would I consider the water and weather conditions comparable. Queen Charlotte Strait can get downright nasty with extended gale force winds for days on end. The weather and temperature conditions are vastly different IMO. The average temperatures are no where near as warm on the north island. If sunbathing is your thing you won't likely be doing any in those parts. Another thing to consider is, depending on the time of year, pea soup fog could sock you in for days.

I love the Port McNeil/Telegraph Cove area and definitely the fishing and wildlife viewing is far better than the SGI. However, in no way would I consider the water and weather conditions comparable. Queen Charlotte Strait can get downright nasty with extended gale force winds for days on end. The weather and temperature conditions are vastly different IMO. The average temperatures are no where near as warm on the north island. If sunbathing is your thing you won't likely be doing any in those parts. Another thing to consider is, depending on the time of year, pea soup fog could sock you in for days.
There are definitely differences in average temperature, and rainfall -- but from a risk perspective, I'd take my family cruising in the Broughtons as readily as in the Gulf of Georgia. NW winds in Georgia Strait can bring 4' breaking seas day or night, and I've ridden 5-6' crap in a SE in July. Both areas rarely blows for days - unlike Johnson Straits!

These are what I'd call roughly comparable risks between the two areas. I consider either one a better bet for family boating than the west coast, and a worse bet for fishing. For my family, Queen Charlotte Straits and the Broughtons have been the compromise destination of choice for 30 years.

Last edited:
Prawning and halibut are good in March and early may. After May halibut are there but more dog fish, bring salmon headsLook at deepzoom for a couple of days where the currents drop to well under 1kn for a couple of hours.

for prawns I would bring weighted traps 5-10lbs of weight each trap, two strings of two at least450-500 feet of line. Look for other traps and around Saltspring.

Constance is likely the easiest place to drift/back troll but also north of discovery inside of the shipping lanes, some do the seperation zone but not worth the stress in my opinion. 250 is a good depth but like Scott I’ve been fishing 300 plus w success at times. We anchor but only do that after being trained by a pro, I showed a buddy 2-3 times and he almost killed a few out of province boys and lost a 1k anchor system, but I blame the trainer.

My Navionics has the rock fish zones marked but also Print out https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s18-eng.html

September is a great time to go as well!

April may and June is a pretty good time to fish in the gulf islands. Hali should be good out off Victoria if down that far and salmon fish can be as good as it gets up towards Nanaimo. Problem is most likely non retention for salmon but if your just looking for fun the action can be non stop. Prawning is good may and start of june. Weather can be pretty nice end of April and may June can be really hit and miss.

Prawning and halibut are good in March and early may. After May halibut are there but more dog fish, bring salmon headsLook at deepzoom for a couple of days where the currents drop to well under 1kn for a couple of hours.

for prawns I would bring weighted traps 5-10lbs of weight each trap, two strings of two at least450-500 feet of line. Look for other traps and around Saltspring.

Constance is likely the easiest place to drift/back troll but also north of discovery inside of the shipping lanes, some do the seperation zone but not worth the stress in my opinion. 250 is a good depth but like Scott I’ve been fishing 300 plus w success at times. We anchor but only do that after being trained by a pro, I showed a buddy 2-3 times and he almost killed a few out of province boys and lost a 1k anchor system, but I blame the trainer.

My Navionics has the rock fish zones marked but also Print out https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s18-eng.html

September is a great time to go as well!
Where is Constance?

Back