Crossing the USA/Canada Boarder and Fishing

Rockfish

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Proposed+border+Canada+border+stirs+controversy/8275624/story.html

If the USA were to see crossing the border into Canada and the USA as a cash cow it could have some interesting ramifications for Americans wanting to fish in Canada and British Columbians shopping in Washington State.

All governments like new revenue streams and Canada may decide it wants a cut also.

Could also cause Canada to rethink letting US sport boats crossing the border at sea and fishing without first landing at a Canadian port (already somewhat controversial) and paying up.

This seems like a bad idea all around and hopefully the US will rethink this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The American border toll is just another example of a government shooting itself in the foot. Once they realize how dependent many border towns are on Canadian shoppers, I'm sure they will change their minds. I'm sure Canadian retailers are hoping they do start charging, the more the better. At any rate I hope we don't buy in to this foolishness.

I think this is just a reaction to the failure of our government to pass a sensible budget. I rather doubt anyone is seeing this as a cash cow but rather border patrol is continually being asked to do more without being provided the funding to do it. In such an environment, fees might look like a sensible option to an administrator - e.g. the costs be passed on to those who use the border crossing. IMHO, just like toll roads, such scheme are a failure of government to fund basic infrastructure. However, as long as we live in an environment where the government is crippled by an agenda to keep taxes low for the very rich, we can continue to expect more "fees" to get passed to the "end users" (read - alternate way of taxing the regular guy).

Just like the airport fee now charged to every passenger going through. A veritable gold mine. In short a good way of paying for things but it comes from our pockets and the governments still ask us for the same as before and show even less accountability. :(

Back