Crabs..boil or steamed?

Steamed the four i got yesterday for the first time, always boiled previously. I never boil again
awesome yes once you try it never go back lol now you can experiment ad more of what you like or omit its way easier steaming enhances the flavor boiling you really take out alot of flavors, thats why steamed veg tastes better then boiled, ask any chef

I was taught a long time ago to steam , never looked back to me cooking food with guts in it is gross ...
So here is what I was taught by one of my instructors 30 plus years ago
for say 4 crab cleaned
I segment the crab into pieces throw into good size stock pot.
Put on stove turn to full
Add 1 cup of white wine
2 lemons into wedges
dash of olive oil
about a tbsp of fresh ginger grated (best way to store ginger is freeze it then grate frozen)
add your fav herb dill,cilantro,rosemary
dash of S & P.
cover when it starts to steam shake pot every couple mins try and rotate the crab around to coat all the good ness
takes about 7 mins once steaming
then start eating a nice baguette to dip into the juices is a must as well.

Enjoy
Good Luck Wolf
I had this last night for the first time ever, talking about going to the next level. Like to experience this at fish camp, Cheers!

I do something similar to the Chinese stir fry recipe in my 21" wok and 65,000btu single burner set up. I have everything prepped and ready before I start. 1/4 cup peanut, canola or grapeseed oil (I mostly use grapeseed now but whatever you use make sure it has a high smoking point), 6 or 7 large garlic cloves cut in half and 6 or 7 slices of ginger 1/8 to 1/4" thick, cleaned crab cut into 1/4's with body parts attached (bigger crab works better I don't use any under 1 3/4 lbs for this recipe), crack all the leg shells except the tips with a cleaver or whatever you use, make up your finishing sauce , mine varies but usually a combo of blackbean sauce, sambol oelek and or scirracha, sweet thai chili and some sesame oil. about 6 or 7 scallions cut lengthwise and cut to about 2" lengths. I also have another 4 or 5 cloves of finely chopped garlic I throw in about a minute before I add the sauce and scallions.

so to start I heat the oil then throw in the slabs of garlic and ginger for a few minutes tossing and pressing them to squeeze the goodness out I do this till they start to burn a bit (few minutes), then scoop them out, now your oil is heavily infused with garlic and ginger, now throw in the crab and stir fry for about 10 minutes or a bit more depending on size (make sure leg shells are cracked) I have a lid and will leave it for a maybe a minute but not too long, once done (it's pretty much completely cooked) add the finely chopped garlic for a minute stirring then add the sauce and onions and continuously stir for a coupla minutes till all thoroughly coated and sauce is heated, now you're ready for 1 delicious messy meal, lol. most company and family rave about it being the best crab they've ever had. I'll try and load some pics 20220619_181345.jpg20220619_182506.jpg20220619_183901.jpg20220619_185011.jpg20200808_195419.jpgOh and don't forget to scrape all the goodies at the bottom of the wok all over the crab before serving.

I do something similar to the Chinese stir fry recipe in my 21" wok and 65,000btu single burner set up. I have everything prepped and ready before I start. 1/4 cup peanut, canola or grapeseed oil (I mostly use grapeseed now but whatever you use make sure it has a high smoking point), 6 or 7 large garlic cloves cut in half and 6 or 7 slices of ginger 1/8 to 1/4" thick, cleaned crab cut into 1/4's with body parts attached (bigger crab works better I don't use any under 1 3/4 lbs for this recipe), crack all the leg shells except the tips with a cleaver or whatever you use, make up your finishing sauce , mine varies but usually a combo of blackbean sauce, sambol oelek and or scirracha, sweet thai chili and some sesame oil. about 6 or 7 scallions cut lengthwise and cut to about 2" lengths. I also have another 4 or 5 cloves of finely chopped garlic I throw in about a minute before I add the sauce and scallions.

so to start I heat the oil then throw in the slabs of garlic and ginger for a few minutes tossing and pressing them to squeeze the goodness out I do this till they start to burn a bit (few minutes), then scoop them out, now your oil is heavily infused with garlic and ginger, now throw in the crab and stir fry for about 10 minutes or a bit more depending on size (make sure leg shells are cracked) I have a lid and will leave it for a maybe a minute but not too long, once done (it's pretty much completely cooked) add the finely chopped garlic for a minute stirring then add the sauce and onions and continuously stir for a coupla minutes till all thoroughly coated and sauce is heated, now you're ready for 1 delicious messy meal, lol. most company and family rave about it being the best crab they've ever had. I'll try and load some pics View attachment 81374View attachment 81375View attachment 81376View attachment 81378View attachment 81380Oh and don't forget to scrape all the goodies at the bottom of the wok all over the crab before serving.
Mmm sounds delicious. Try garlic toast. Seems odd but definitely great to sop up the sauce.

I don’t cook my fish with guts still inside; same with crab. Off with the carapace, chop body in half, clean out gills and yuck, then drop into a pot of boiling water. I’ll have to try steaming; the less water used, the less flavour and nutrition is washed out of the meat. Stir frying would be much better in that regard. Speaking of retaining flavour, moisture, and nutrition; by far the best tasting crab I ever ate was placed on bricks on a dock, and roasted with a tiger torch. Eaten on the spot. Absolutely no need for any spices or condiments. Massett, 1970’s.

Sorry but going to head off course a bit. Could a guy grill live dungeness. Say clean them of course then pop them on the grill on the boat, thoughts ??

Well, I just steamed my first ever crab. Kept 4 from Pedder today so had to give it a try to see what all the fuss is about. Cleaned them as noted in some of the posts. About 1/2" of water in a pot with a handful of salt and nothing else. Brought it to a boil and popped them in for 12 minutes. 1st impression.......the meat is softer than when I boil the whole crab but no where near salt enough for my liking. I would be lying if I said it tasted better to me but I will give it another try with my next batch. The Boss hasn't tried them yet so I will see what she thinks..

Will adding more salt make them taste saltier or won't make much difference given that they are steamed and not boiled?

For those of you that "yuk out" because you don't want to cook them whole, with the "guts" in, I was wondering how you cook lobster?

I'm a whole boiled guy myself. Tried steaming them both with plain salted water and then with herbs, wine whatever. Much blander than boiled whole crab. And yeah, I love me some of that crab hepatopancreas like some others on here.

not one recipe said use water.? use the recipe I have provided there is no water just wine....try it you may like it mikey!!! LOL LOL
You may have missed but here's two that mentioned water. Several others mentioned steaming but didn't say what they used. The reason I used water is that I was trying to do a comparison so I used water and salt and only that, because that is what I use when I boil them whole. The Boss tried them last night and saw no difference in texture or taste other than saying they are way to fresh,,,,,needs more salt.

Next batch I will break apart and boil with lots of salt as another guy posted to see what it's like. Who knows, the batch after that I may try them in wine as you suggest but I like crab, shrimp, lobster etc to taste as "natural" as they can. Salt water from the ocean was how we grew up doing it.

"I remove the back shell and guts and steam in about 6 oz of water or gingerale"

"I almost always steam in a seafood steamer with water, a little white wine & garlic."

Sorry didnt see but why use water blllahhhh LOL
use wine just try my recipe just once its not like you cant get more crab ...

Back