Crab survey - how many unders to keepers?

I

Ian

Just curious how success varies..

I fish the burrard inlet out of Port Moody for dungies with 2 blue danielson traps and seem to average 7-10 unders for each legal crab. Had my best single pull on saturday with 18 after an hour, 2 keepers.

Survey says?

Ian

That ratio seems about par for that area. I have set a few traps around Cates and the point to the east and done slightly better at times but have also pulled traps with up to 20 unders and no legals. This area has had such heavy pressure, it really should be closed for a year to let them develop a little in average size.

my traps in the douglas channel two hoops pulled every 25 minutes in most good crab arease i get about 50% usualy 8 to 10 and four our five are keepers. but it all depends on the area, some places i get way more keepers and others way more unders. it probanly has somthing to do with the feed.

Not to start bashing anyone but the problem in our area is more because of the practices of certain ethnic groups . If they keep the unders too, how the hell to they ever get to be legals?

It varies in my area S.V.I. , however yesterday the ratio was more
like 10:1.
Seems to change seasonally and with different tides.
Also, i find the winter crabbing is much better than summer.
I have tried many different baits, but chicken backs out perform them all !

The area I crab is odd. I rarely see a female and about 80% are keeper size. I throw back the females, small ones and the soft shelled legal ones (the ones that just molted). Anyone else try and avoid the soft shelled ones?

quote:Originally posted by Pablo2079

The area I crab is odd. I rarely see a female and about 80% are keeper size. I throw back the females, small ones and the soft shelled legal ones (the ones that just molted). Anyone else try and avoid the soft shelled ones?
Deffinately! All you get is salt water anyway. They are usually big crabs and they will firm up quickly if left.

Try LOTS of FRESH bait (fish carcasses) to get larger crabs. Smaller ones need to survive on less tasty foods. If the crabs can't get at the bait to feed, they simply leave the trap. Yes, they can work the doorways.

Nanaimo its about 10:1...funny though, I don't see too many going back over the side from many boats...maybe they know something I don't[B)]. As for throwing back the females, I think its the law now.

Back