Coyote spoon size

abbyfireguy

Which is the preferred coyote spoon size for fishing Barkley Sound from Pilland that area out past Bamfield but not off-shore.
Maybe out as far as Whittlespoon???
A 4" or 5"??

Thanks

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

quote:Originally posted by abbyfireguy

Which is the preferred coyote spoon size for fishing Barkley Sound from Pilland that area out past Bamfield but not off-shore.
Maybe out as far as Whittlespoon???
A 4" or 5"??

Thanks

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)
I am assumming you are targeting Coho? I VERY seldom use them while targeting Springs on the WCVI (aah, again I assume you are talking about summer</u>?). I do carry both and I usually start with my 4", but if I don't get results with that, I immediately switch to the 5". But again, I only use them for Coho!

5.0's work year round for us , typically my best , go to , atleast this year , even on Springs , our 2 largest winter derby fish were both caught on 5.0 ' s, cheers , FD..:) green,green , more green ....

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

I agree with green. A 4 in Watermelon seems to be my go to spoon for the area. Seemed to do better than the 5 in whenever I was using both sizes. Done well with a green/white and cop car. I seem to prefer 4 in unless the bait are large.

match the hatch..
KINGS love small spoons if the bait is small.
Coho Killers are named wrong..
4-5" Coyotes in the light green and glow crackle - get the silver flashtail blade also :)

""Chinooks"" here in b.c. hammer the spoons on the West Side.. I will have to agree on the green. Watch the conditions, everything has it's time given weather and water. Last season seemed to favour a 4.5" Gypsy flamin hans. Green, white, red length wise.. At Whittlespoon (spell check[B)]) it seemed to be the first hour, then it was the soft plastic, and of course a lethal roll on the other side..
Try it all..dirty:D

quote:Originally posted by Dirtdog67

""Chinooks"" here in b.c. hammer the spoons on the West Side.. I will have to agree on the green. Watch the conditions, everything has it's time given weather and water. Last season seemed to favour a 4.5" Gypsy flamin hans. Green, white, red length wise.. At Whittlespoon (spell check[B)]) it seemed to be the first hour, then it was the soft plastic, and of course a lethal roll on the other side..
Try it all..dirty:D

I agree with you all, especially if you are fishing the Banks! But, I believe the farther north or when you get away from the Banks, the spoons are less effective, especially for the summer run of non resisdent fish? For example, I have not had luck at Wya, using spoons? Do you use them there? Are you guys using them deep?
These are questions... not statements. :)

And... I really like the statement "Try it all" :D

Match the hatch....start the season with 3.5 and move up as the bait gets bigger. It is a good practice to gut a few fish to see how big the bait is, and use that as your guide for spoon size. As Chad says, all the colours work depending on time of year, weather etc. I'm a big fan of Coyote Spoons as my number one choice, but those gypsies work great as well.

Back