Cowichan River

Does anyone know if this "food permit" is a fact?If so,I'll personally confront these individuals about their actions and
report them to the proper authorities.Would the fisheries office have any info on this?I feel like I need to do something.It just disturbs me so much it's unreal!

it is a fact. I have a few FN friends on the island and they sometimes apply for food permits on other water rivers on the island. As well, spoke with COs and they tell me how frequent they bump into FNs without a fish for food permit. So they just pay the fines and re-offend.

Anyways, based on the 'Aboriginal Communal Fishing Licences Regulations' a FN needs authorization to fish under a band's Communal License, which they are allocated a set number of fish within an annual schedule. And from what I found, steelhead cannot be targeted. I have only read amendments where they are only allowed to be a by catch and cannot be sold. Another interesting fact that the communal license even has a maximum number of members permitted to utilize the communal license at one time. They are even restricted to time and location to where and when they can exercise their license.

Here's the link to the agreement Aboriginal Communal Fishing Licences Regulations

Last edited by a moderator:
Was unable to talk to a CO today,but had an interesting chat with a DFO officer on the phone this morning.He said that
they are aware of the netting going on and that it has been approved and being monitored by the CO's as steelhead are
a provincial jurastiction.He couldn't give me much more info as to the spearing and angling retention going on,but
thought that this would also be OK as it is in their aboringinal rights to do so.I sure hope Derby has some better news
for us.Thank you Derby for your efforts!

Was unable to talk to a CO today,but had an interesting chat with a DFO officer on the phone this morning.He said that
they are aware of the netting going on and that it has been approved and being monitored by the CO's as steelhead are
a provincial jurastiction.He couldn't give me much more info as to the spearing and angling retention going on,but
thought that this would also be OK as it is in their aboringinal rights to do so.I sure hope Derby has some better news
for us.Thank you Derby for your efforts!

With all this negotiating it would seem we haven't come far. Friends, this is the same basic statement we were getting 30 years ago. Gov't's argue over jurisdiction, responsibility and can't/won't do anything about it. First nation's can't/won't control their own rebellious members, who think it's big a funny game. They're laughing at us and it's justified. Hooray for political correctness.

Flame me if you want. I'm beyond sick of this crap.

With all this negotiating it would seem we haven't come far. Friends, this is the same basic statement we were getting 30 years ago. Gov't's argue over jurisdiction, responsibility and can't/won't do anything about it. First nation's can't/won't control their own rebellious members, who think it's big a funny game. They're laughing at us and it's justified. Hooray for political correctness.

Flame me if you want. I'm beyond sick of this crap.

Are we able to control our rebellious members?

Are we able to control our rebellious members?

At least "our", (ie. everyone else) can be charged and convicted.

I'm with BGM - it's the natives fish. If they want to destroy the run and let them rot in garbage bags then it's their right!

Pretty much there too, ready to throw in the towel. Unfortunately by screwing themselves they're screwing everybody.

I'm with BGM - it's the natives fish. If they want to destroy the run and let them rot in garbage bags then it's their right!

I disagree,PS.It should not be their right to do such a thing.This is 2015,not 1815 and such things are not now moral or
ethical in our modern society.It may have been the way they did things before we showed up,but the time is long
overdo for these people to quit living in the past and start becoming equals in the now with no special treatment
or privileges.To just stand back and watch them wipe out this run of fish is just wrong on so many levels.

I disagree,PS.It should not be their right to do such a thing.This is 2015,not 1815 and such things are not now moral or
ethical in our modern society.It may have been the way they did things before we showed up,but the time is long
overdo for these people to quit living in the past and start becoming equals in the now with no special treatment
or privileges.To just stand back and watch them wipe out this run of fish is just wrong on so many levels.

What about all the runs we wiped out due to modernization, industry and resource development. We just stood back and watched it happen. Of course, that was then and this is now, I agree, but to generalize about 'those' people when we know it's individual idiots acting on their own that is contributing to this problem will not help matters I'm afraid.

Totally agree, BGM. There are idiots among every group. What makes this situation special and most concerning is that all officials look away incl. Chiefs and elders. And this at a point where there are no reserves left in the fish stocks. If the natives demand to be outside Canadian jurisdiction then PLEASE act upon your self-demanded responsibility and police your own kind for the sake of the fish and the environment that you cherish in general at least as much as us. Please show us you can do that and all is good! The "just because I can" attitude of a few idiots needs to be controlled or we will lose a lot.

What about all the runs we wiped out due to modernization, industry and resource development. We just stood back and watched it happen. Of course, that was then and this is now, I agree, but to generalize about 'those' people when we know it's individual idiots acting on their own that is contributing to this problem will not help matters I'm afraid.

Are we not all a part of "We"? Who did not, or would not of benefited from modernization, industry and resource development. Members of my extended family who are "First Nations" certainly have no problem falling old growth timber, driving around in $80 g pick-up's or enjoying, more than most, the luxuries of modern western living. I would quit singling out any "race" to blame, because "We" are everyone. The courts should see us all as equal and fry those individuals that blatantly destroy resources.

That kind of sounds familiar...like something Stephen Harper would say. Can't give any details, but just trust me... why can't details be released? The people who are apparently working on this are supposed to be representing all rec anglers yet nothing can be said?!?! Sounds fishy, pardon the pun. Where's the transparency? And don't say it could compromise the process...that's bs.

This one is both dealing with Provincial & Federal deptments so this is even more detailed, complex and layered .....The Cowichan river issue in my option just may go beyond the Cowichan valley... Its easy for u to say u understand how the SFAB & SFAC process works, it's another to be involved in..... in those processes it's about relationships & trust and the right people in the right places..... but U do need to remember none of us are paid to do what we do.... so comparing all of those that are actively involved to Harper is a tad offensive...What I can report we are making head way slowly at least un wrapping layers... will let u know as I can with what I can.....

There's a lot of good folks working on this issue..it's near and dear to many that have angled the Cowichan...:)

This one is both dealing with Provincial & Federal deptments so this is even more detailed, complex and layered .....The Cowichan river issue in my option just may go beyond the Cowichan valley... Its easy for u to say u understand how the SFAB & SFAC process works, it's another to be involved in..... in those processes it's about relationships & trust and the right people in the right places..... but U do need to remember none of us are paid to do what we do.... so comparing all of those that are actively involved to Harper is a tad offensive...What I can report we are making head way slowly at least un wrapping layers... will let u know as I can with what I can.....

Well said derby you don't have to explain...The majority on here and many in valley which we live are aware and appreciate what you are doing..... There also a lot of us on here that do a great deal more than sitting anonymously on computer complaining... These issues need solutions and the SFAB need our support.... Those kind of posts/attitudes get us all no where. Hey I am as frustrated to hear that is going on, but newsflash been going on for years this is not the first year....Let the people who need to work on it work on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Like! .....................

Totally agree, BGM. There are idiots among every group. What makes this situation special and most concerning is that all officials look away incl. Chiefs and elders. And this at a point where there are no reserves left in the fish stocks. If the natives demand to be outside Canadian jurisdiction then PLEASE act upon your self-demanded responsibility and police your own kind for the sake of the fish and the environment that you cherish in general at least as much as us. Please show us you can do that and all is good! The "just because I can" attitude of a few idiots needs to be controlled or we will lose a lot.

Well said,calmsea.Someone has to be able to hold these people who choose to abuse their rights accountable.Up to this point it hasn't been happening,and it gives the people who are watching this go on the opinion that if the
hierarchy of the tribes doesn't put their foot down,they must condone it.Like you said,if you want to live outside of
our jurisdiction,then take care of your own riffraff!!

Yes, lots of discussion of this issue and it will be taken off line to work on an alternate approach to engaging they key players in a process similar to one working on the Fraser River...link to a news story that explains very briefly.

http://www.theprogress.com/news/272029131.html

Its always better to try to engage in meaningful discussion to resolve these issues. The Peacemaker's approach is working well on the Fraser and is bringing both recreational anglers and FN people together to resolve issues and find ways we can work better together. This was a huge initiative for the BCFDF among other organizations, and is now on the radar following discussions this past weekend.

Yes, lots of discussion of this issue and it will be taken off line to work on an alternate approach to engaging they key players in a process similar to one working on the Fraser River...link to a news story that explains very briefly.

http://www.theprogress.com/news/272029131.html

Its always better to try to engage in meaningful discussion to resolve these issues. The Peacemaker's approach is working well on the Fraser and is bringing both recreational anglers and FN people together to resolve issues and find ways we can work better together. This was a huge initiative for the BCFDF among other organizations, and is now on the radar following discussions this past weekend.

Couple wild steelhead killed at bible camp today, caught on roe. A friend sent me this. Disgusting and a f#*king joke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 259
"friend"......

THISGONBGUD.gif

Back