Cowichan River

Of course it is worth it. You'll find some info on the web. There's even a rough Cowichan map in the fishing regs. Drive roads, find access's, try somewhere different every outing. Before you know it, you'll have you'll have it figured out. People generally aren't that tight lipped about the Cowichan, especially when you meet them on the river.

Agreed. Perhaps most importantly, some personal effort and time has to be put into discovering the river. You can often find a pointer or two in these forums, but nobody is going to lay it all out for every passerby to find here or on any other public forum. As eroyd suggests, however, anglers are generally more forthcoming if you happen to meet them somewhere along the river.

Excellent! Thanks guys.

In the regs it also states the Cowichan is 10hp on parts. Which parts, other than in Lake Cowichan where it is posted. "speed restriction (8 km/h) & engine power restriction - 7.5 Kw (10 hp) on parts", if this "on parts" is not specified can you run a jet on the Cowichan legally? What are the thoughts?

No jets on the Cowie. No preferential guide treatment on the Cowie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw one stranded jet on the lower cowie several years ago. I assume one was used recently to transport the new fabricated bridge to it's location along the footpath. Fisheries I imagine runs one.

I have also seen one on the San Juan years ago. I think he was cutting maple burls. Pretty skinny river for power boats.

I would just like to see it in writing, something that is official stating no jets on the Cowichan. That's all.

If you go deep into the Transport Canada site you'll find...

4Xt3Soq.gif

;)

I've never thought jet boats illegal on the lower river, just unpopular. Getting bombarded with lures, rocks etc. would sure suck the fun out of it.;)

A 9.9 on a zodiac will get you up and down the Cowichan nicely if you know how to drive it. Nice water above Stolz late Febuary, early March...shhhhhh

I think jets would be ideal, and I'd have no problem with them between Heritage Rd. and tide water. It would be good to have some eye's on the very bottom end.

Gave it a go today.Water's lookin' nice.Hit three different spots in the canyon,but no steel lovin'.Beautiful day for fishing
though.Warm and not a breath of wind.More rain coming later in the week so think I'll hit it hard for the next few days.

Back