Cowichan River Chinooks for sale

bigsbee

Question: Are the Cowichan Indians allowed to sell chinook salmon speared in the Cowichan River below the silver bridge? I was leaving the Cowichan District Hospital today and was told there were a couple of people selling salmon in the rear parking lot. I went back there and there was a woman and a young fellow selling springs and sockey out of the back of a van. I asked him what he thought of the return and was told the were lots coming back and they had got 30 springs that day. I didn't ask where the sockey came from. The low water conditions were a concern I told him. I asked him if they were allowed to sell them and the they said yes. I wonder how many can be sold, who polices this and is there a limit or is it carte blanc. I go over Cowichan every day and I imagine it's a struggle for the fish to get to their spawning grounds without the added irritation of a spear flying at you. Any thoughts?

Just yesterday I was below the Silver Bridge about a 1/2 mile watching a young native guy jigging with a spark plug
and a big butt treble hook.After watching him pull three fish out of there in about 30 mins. I'd had about enough.He told
me that he had caught 12 fish that morning,and was still at it as I left. Every spring had a chunk or to out of it,
either by a seal or a natives spear. Those fish don't have a hope in hell,and it makes me sick!!

Just yesterday I was below the Silver Bridge about a 1/2 mile watching a young native guy jigging with a spark plug
and a big butt treble hook.After watching him pull three fish out of there in about 30 mins. I'd had about enough.He told
me that he had caught 12 fish that morning,and was still at it as I left. Every spring had a chunk or to out of it,
either by a seal or a natives spear. Those fish don't have a hope in hell,and it makes me sick!!

It's tradition they've been using spark plugs and trebble hooks for countless generations.

1235297-in_before_the_lock_kitty_super.jpg

Good timing with the meme Lorne :D

I am so pissed off too,,,, How could Indian understand about chinook and coho population . The chinook and coho are our sports fishing valuable . They are very lowest population than other species of salmons.

I agreed with you High Five, They will be wiped out and we will never see they will show up in the future!!!

That run will die and we cant do anything about it... Several anglers have asked them to stop...and as far as I knew they were not doing it everyday.... Its a shame. I am not understanding how the chief is allowing this to go on. They need to be protected this is no good... As for selling yes thy will sell them to people, but that is really there right to do so unfortunately... I am more pissed off at the stupid people that go down there trying to get fish from them. People just don't get it. I am glad we have an interpretive center that just opened in Cowichan Bay. That way when the last salmon finally heads up the river I can show my kids how they were all wiped out. I really wish you guys could have seen this area in the 80's it was unbelievable fishing to see it decimated it is sad. That river was stuffed with fish now look at it.

I also fished the Cowichan and the Bay in the 70`s and 80`s, it was good fishing although some locals will tell you stories of what the old days were like. I think, regardless of what race you are, given the opportunity some people will fish for their own gain even if it means wiping out a run.

Discus 'I am so pissed off too,,,, How could Indian understand about chinook and coho population . The chinook and coho are our sports fishing valuable . They are very lowest population than other species of salmons.

I agreed with you High Five, They will be wiped out and we will never see they will show up in the future!!!'

You need to educate yourself. They understand because they have been fishing here for THOUSANDS of years. Just because they turn a blind eye dosnt mean they dont understand. You said it, for lots of people its a 'sport' to them its there main food source and some only means of making money. (not getting into why and making inflammatory comments)

That run will die and we cant do anything about it... Several anglers have asked them to stop...and as far as I knew they were not doing it everyday.... Its a shame. I am not understanding how the chief is allowing this to go on. They need to be protected this is no good... As for selling yes thy will sell them to people, but that is really there right to do so unfortunately... I am more pissed off at the stupid people that go down there trying to get fish from them. People just don't get it. I am glad we have an interpretive center that just opened in Cowichan Bay. That way when the last salmon finally heads up the river I can show my kids how they were all wiped out. I really wish you guys could have seen this area in the 80's it was unbelievable fishing to see it decimated it is sad. That river was stuffed with fish now look at it.

Is the Chief supposed to know every sale? Does Harper allow poaching amongst the white folks? Not every leader can control what the people they govern do.

Fishstalker:-to listen to most media types you'd think the Indians (sorry....aboriginals) were as poor as church mice.

If it wasn't for scooping fish they'd be flat broke.

Not so according to my sources........I was told by a politician that if a native decides to become anything that requires a university education or schooling of any kind, it will be paid for by our government in total at no cost to the native.
I wonder how many of them take advantage of that instead of living on "Indian Time" (as they themselves call it).

In Port Alberni the council members get 150 bucks for going to a meeting....however the native Bamfield representative, when he attends same meeting, gets 1500 dollars.

The natives have actual "tribal police".........never see 'em around though.

The Navajo nation in the states has a it's own highly professional police force that deals with game and poaching offences on a daily basis.

The natives here get all kinds of financial breaks.......

I don't think selling fish back in the pre-explorer days was a "tradition'.......they didn't have the customer traffic.
Maybe a little bartering here and there between tribes.....and save some for food.

Wow....... how did we get from "Cowichan River Chinooks for Sale" to this.. I'd say its getting a little bit racist for a public forum. A few Chinooks being sold out of an SUV doesn't account for why salmon numbers in many areas of BC are dwindling. Surely a few spears being thrown at salmon isn't the cause! Ya its frustrating to hear about over harvest, illegal harvest, inhumane harvest blah blah blah.... Non aboriginal Canadians are the main factor in why there are problems in the first place..... anyways... it sucks that Canada is so pisspoor at managing wild salmon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Chief supposed to know every sale? Does Harper allow poaching amongst the white folks? Not every leader can control what the people they govern do.
Big Green Machine....dont know what to tell u! As far as i know Natives r only allowed to catch fish for food, not for sale! DFO wont do nothing about it tho!
If the FN get priority cause its their right to the salmon, maybe they should make it their right to pay for some of the costs/conservation, us "white folks" pay for u too be able to keep fishing! " white folks" should put up a blockade and not let natives use our roads or any of our " white infrastructure, or supermarkets, gas stations". Were all equal and we should have 1 set of laws that everybody has to follow! Defend the FN all u want, its not gonna get u any sympathy on this forum

Why bother trying to save anything anymore? Keep spearing until they're ALL gone. Every single last one of them.
Enough about being politically corrrect. What the native spearfishermen are doing in the Cowichan is utter BS.

Dave

Wow....... how did we get from "Cowichan River Chinooks for Sale" to this.. I'd say its getting a little bit racist for a public forum. A few Chinooks being sold out of an SUV doesn't account for why salmon numbers in many areas of BC are dwindling. Surely a few spears being thrown at salmon isn't the cause! Ya its frustrating to hear about over harvest, illegal harvest, inhumane harvest blah blah blah.... Non aboriginal Canadians are the main factor in why there are problems in the first place..... anyways... it sucks that Canada is so pisspoor at managing wild salmon.

thanks Hambone - however, when it comes to the decimation of a stock, it looks like this - a few thousand springs (if lucky) try and make it up the Cowichan, yet there are hundreds of FN's spearing, jigging, and netting with everything including the kitchen sink. It dont take long to realize that an already critical run is going to the ******* without a community respect and conservation of the run!

I hear ya man.... The fact that the springs are being killed like you explain is upsetting.... I just think posts like Seafevers are way out of line.

Regardless of what was in todays Times Colonist some members of the local band are still spearing. I saw a guy yesterday along Allenby road in ankle deep water just below the counting station with spear in hand. What with the sea lions, the afore mentioned and the poor control of water at the weir it looks like this year will be a writeoff. Lots of coho at cherry point and in the bay so lets hope for some heavy rain to get the fish up.

Back