cowichan chum

I went out from mill bay on friday Beatiful day if you like rain and wind ,as soon as we got out of mill bay seen some rise so we droped the lines trolled over infront of P bay after a couple hours headed toward cowichan bay and then back .nothing .
as soon as we packed up sun came out and wind stoped .nice.

Lots on the sounder around 250-300 ??
Had a 300lb sealion following about 5 feet behind the boat running into our lines for about 45min
no other boats fishing .

seals seem to be eating good.
Chris

I was spotting lots on the sounder as well.Deep too.Even tried dragging some bucktails around in the bay.Should have gone for winters.My journals show good fishing as early as Nov.1.up to 15 lbs.
Need to replace transducer for bridge sonar first.Don't like to guess when dragging gear around on bottom.

it must be something in the water

Knuckle,
"My journals show good fishing as early as Nov.1.up to 15 lbs."

Is that for the bay or on the out side .

do you think those are spings we were seeing on the sounder ?

Chris

that is mostly in the Narrows.

You think they're springs in the narrows? Awesome weather for taking a quick trip to see.....
You have to fish deep for winter springs right? No chance of shallow fish at all?

winter fishing is better here than summer fishing.More consistent.What i've done in the past is pull out my charts and look for an area of flat sandy bottom with a good contour of about 100 - 150 ft.Go there and drop the gear down.Vary between deeper and shallower till my gear bounces then go deeper again.Sansum is good,so is deep cove,Pat bay,Sidney/Swartz bay areas and Tent Island is good to fish while waiting for prawns.
Eric,your in Crofton,right?I would go to Tent or even try across the way to Saltspring.Booth inlet?Check your charts for the bottom type there.Lots of flow from Sansum narrows.If your not set up for deep trolling,try a jig and jerk fish.Right off bottom.Use your sonar to locate bait.Remember,these are 'feeders'.
Don't forget to check for closed 'rock fish areas'.

love winter springs in the narrows , well i`m off 2 dominican republic for sun and deep sea fishing heard it`s gonna be a good session .

tight lines

quote:
love winter springs in the narrows , well i`m off 2 dominican republic for sun and deep sea fishing heard it`s gonna be a good session .

tight lines
we want pics!

Back