Cowichan Bay /Saltspring Area

alley cat

Went out today down to Hatch Point and thence out to the bank and around in the general vicinity of Mill Bay over to Saltspring and back , there are absolutely millions of f.....g salmon , chums and coho jumping everywhere , sad part tried everything and not one bite ! ! ! !
The coho were still quite bright and of a good size , I wonder where the Port Renfrew ones are ? Called out to a friend in Renfrew again and he tells me that some were taken of the Bouy 3 days ago but since then nothing, seiners were out test fishing and nothing !
Not to berate the point but anyone else get out in the Mill Bay/ Cowichan Bay area today and achieve any success ?

AL

just a hunch Al, but if those fish are mostly Chum,headed for goldstream,cowichan rivers they are awaiting the "sex & death" stage...
there was another topic here a while back and the fishermen
seemed frustrated that there were fish everywhere, but no biter's.

In the deeper water areas closer to the Saltspring side they were predominantly Coho, I even rummaged around in the bottom of the the 3rd tackle box and found a silver metric spoon and whipped out the spinning rod and tried that to no effect.

Nice looking fish though , wondering how they and all the other species are going to make out when the rains come and the levels rise.
I think they will destrot each others redds in the mad dash , unless there is a biological trigger which hold one specie back for a length of time ?? Who knows ?

AL

Hatch Point towards Cow Bay hatchery only , Hatch Point towards Bamberton etc , 1 wild allowed is the way I read it Poppa S.

AL

well I'll have to check that out then, I can't believe nothing would work though, what type of gear did you through at them?

Army truck hootchies , A.T. spoons , Krippled K spoons , flash tails , bait , herring and anchovie , herring strip behind a dodger , varied coloured flashers , speeds and leader length also varied along with inside and outside turns , you name it; and 40 plus years of other tricks thrown in.......... plus bucktails in grey ghost , green , blue - green and then tried purple haze hootchies and other colours up to and including all black and all white........... zip , zero , nada, it was one day for the fish to look and laugh(if fish laugh!).
Didn't get out today but leaving for Renfrew Thursday morning early and staying for 2 days in the rain , praying for low wind conditions to see if the coho will move in around the bay and bouy area.

AL

Thanks for the post AC.
Thought of going out but too damn frustrating to see the fish, but not be able to entice a bite.
Any chance of late running springs still around in the narrows?
Thanks

Alley Cat, did you try down around 100 120 on the rigger? Were there many seals around on top? thx.

Went down to 135 ft , there were a lot of seals but when I was there they were concentrated on the West side of Saltspring.
Will probably go out again on Tuesday to see if I can find out a combination that will work , got my curiosity aroused now after looking at all the posts and suggestions , most I have tried but an old Commercial friend of mine told me to try an oil slick hootchie( trolled medium slow) and lengthen the leader to 34 ins behind a dark blue flasher with silver on both sides, gonna give er go.

AL

Good luck. I heard some Vancouver area locals had a hard time getting the school of Chum jumpers off Bowen to bite this weekend.

I like the 34 inch leader idea. Maybe a quick dodgey troll will appeal more to their strike instinct than their appetite, like a Small (2.75), fast, glo Army truck Gypsy spoon, behind dodger.

Yeah , funny you should mention the dodger , I was toying with the idea to give that a try , you know impart a different action to the presentation and something out of the ordinary just might provoke them to hit it .

AL

I'm gonna drop in the inlet this weekend and see if those are chum are still around and if I can find the right combination.

Anybody wanna through their 2 cents in on what might work?

pink houtchies green flashers . as many dumy flashers as you can.
lines 30-60 40-70.
troll under 2mph about 1.5

ya I was thinking of trying pink - black squirts and maybe few different spoons and apexes, but I like the dummy flashers tip too.

Back