Cowichan Bay Crabs

B

bbronswyk2000

So I finally got out on the salt for the first time since moving here. First thing we did was drop the crab traps. I dropped them just to the right of the Cowichan Bay boat launch in 50-70 feet of water. Than we went for some cod. Got a couple and I just ran around enjoying the beauty of the area. We come back to the traps 4 hours later NOTHING!! I was using chicken backs and necks. Just one red rock in two traps. Is their a certain area in the bay thats better than others? Any help is appreciated.

You should run down the bay a little. Don't want to get flamed for step by step directions, but my dad and I have crabbed cow bay for years. He was out on Thursday and did well, he said that it didn't get good until after the flood had started for awhile. We only leave the traps 20- 30 mins as the bait will be cleaned out.

Email me directly if you need further assistance.

As I emailed you before with explicit instructions where to go , please reference the original post and see where I told you to try.

AL

I find spring and fall are the best in the Cow Bay area, however, you can still get them in mid summer in fewer numbers. As others have said, go further down the bay on the right side, can't miss the other bouys farther down. I usually set for approx 2 hrs and when I don't have left over salmon heads, tails, etc, I will use chicken backs. Make sure your gates are working well.

Thanks for the great information. Hopefully I will be back out in a couple weeks. Had a slight problem with the trailer yesterday that will keep me off the water for atleast a week.

Going out for some bass now on Shawnigan with my other boat.

Back