Courtenay Area Crab and Prawns

LouDogII

Hey guys, can anybody tell me if there is any crabbing and prawning in the Courtenay area? Might be moving there in the near future, just like to know how I'm going to spend my weekends.

I hear there is good salmon fishing around Campbell River, is there any salmon off Comox? What months/seasons do they run?

Any help is appreciated.

Coming up from Victoria, Eman. This past summer was my first year on saltwater (since I was a kid in Nova Scotia), not a good rookie season I'm afraid. Will be bringing a 542 Campion boat up with me and hope to improve my record in your area.

Slowly got rigged up over the year, but now I have to work on finding the fish and actually getting out on the chuck. Are there Crab and prawn areas close by?

Scooter

Hey Scooter: As much as I love living in the Comox Valley and enjoy it's endless outdoor activities. I find it difficult to recommend the fishing in this area, over where you are now. That's not to say there are not opportunity's to be had, it's just getting to be a little tougher to expect good fishing on a regular basis. While there are crabbing and prawning opportunity's available. Sometimes this info is tough to obtain from a distance and is usually available from tackle shops and boatramps when you are in this area. I understand your frustration in not having a good rookie season, but that's what it was. I'm sure if you apply the same learning techniques in your area, tackle shops, boatramps etc. you will have a much better second season. There are lots of very skilled fisher folks on this forum that have provided volumes of info already on this site. Try looking through some of the old posts, there you will find tons of info from your area as well as areas all over the Island. If you are intent in coming to the Comox Valley area let me no when and I will do everything I can to help you have an enjoyable fishing experiance. Eman

Scooter--I'm from the Victoria area.If you are looking for easy areas to fish, Nov/Dec can be excellent months to fish for winter springs out of Pedder Bay. There is a navy tie-up buoy at the mouth of the bay which is often a good area to start. Fish tight to the bottom with spoons or green and white or purple haze hootchies and you are almost guaranteed fish. You will have to let a few 3 to 4 lbers go before you get one from 8-14 lbs. I reccomend this spot for you because there is usually lots of fish and it's almost right in the bay, thus the weather/waves are not too nasty. Check BigWaveDave.ca for the weather and phone Sean, marina manager at Pedder Bay to find out when the fish move in.
Good luck,
T2

Thanks Eman, we'll be in touch. Probably moving up shortly after Christmas, not comin' for the fishin' only, I hear there is hunting and good hiking trails too!

Scooter

T2,

Hey thanks for the info, I've only fished the Flats, Victoria waterfront and Constance Bank. I've been wary about Sooke area because I hear it can be rough, foggy, has strong currents and is tough to fish. I know there's excellent fishing as I've been following along on the message boards.

Do you steam to Pedder Bay or are you putting in there? I'm in the Oak Bay Marina, and can't trailer very easily (truck stays at work, off the island) so I'm limited by fuel expence and weather...and I'm a little timid, as it is my rookie boating year too. I'm sure going to try your suggestion next week though if the weather cooperates and the fish have started showing up.

What 2-way channels do the guys chat on out in that area? Just in case I can pick up some info while I'm out there. Thanks again.

Scooter

Scooter--this time of year my boat is on the trailer behind the hedge in the backyard but I live in Metchosin so it's only a 10 minute drive to put it in the water at Pedder. It is a fair way for you to come across from Oak Bay if you don't have access to a trailer, especially in the winter.Keep an eye on Island Outfitter's fishing report for Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay for when the winter springs really start to show. ONce you get a good report, go out and give it a shot on the flats or in front of Victoria. Remember that these fish are hungry so if you've tried one area for a few tacks and haven't got any action, move location until you find the fish.
T2

Good job on the feed of prawns CS, and thanks for information. I'll contact you when we get in your area, maybe we can meet for a beer (or 2), go over the charts and tell some stories.

Regards
Scooter

Scooter, Lots of areas to prawn around Campbell River....back side of Quadra, Twins, Cortes Read Islands. Also a few areas to crab. As C.S. says, crabs mainly on mainland side near Hernando Isl. etc. Also good winter springs around. Best time for springs is Nov through Late Jan, but not bad into March. Lighthouse and Willow Pt. traditionally best spots. 4 inch plugs and hootchies best, usually near bottom.

Back