cougar Creek Campgrounds, Fishing expectations?

Breakin"even

Crew Member
I have a 18" lund and I want to fish for Bottom fish, Hali/cod and Prawn and crab in the spring out of Cougar Creek Campground down Tlupana Inlet, Nootka Sound.
What can I expect for fishing in that area at that time of year. Will I have to travel out for good fishing,
weather permitting? Best months for this trip, any advice would be very appreciated?

Last edited:
Don't expect any salmon on the inside before mid July. On a calm day you can get out around the lighthouse and get salmon. May, June can be great there. Maybe even before but never been up there earlier than that. Hali is a no go on the inside. There are rockfish and lings on drop offs and reefs inside. More, bigger and more consistent the closer you get to the mouth of the sound.
Crabs are there in a few spots with softer and shallow ground. Prawns, so I hear, can be great early but not sure where.

On a calm day you can get out around the lighthouse and get salmon
Do you mean Nootka lighthouse? I"m searching for a good place to camp and launch/moor, any better locations closer to better fishing than Cougar Creek Camp ground for Nootka Sound and a smaller boat.

Yup, Nootka lighthouse. There is nothing closer as a land-based facility. There are several boat-in resorts or private accommodations across the sound but I am not sure when they open their season in the spring. North-Nootka/Esperanza, you could go to Tahsis. I am not so familiar with that location though.

Thanks MacDuff. I'm thinking of going right after ling are open and what kind of weather to expect.
I dont expect a weather forecast but in general at that time of year, fog being a concern.

I’ve seen it miserable in May. Windy, wet, foggy and cold. The weather can change in a hurry. I don’t know what your boating experience is but you have to use caution out there especially if fishing offshore.

To keep in mind, fuel will be hard to come by in Nootka in May. I believe critter cove marina opens up first weekend in June. So Westview Marina in Thasis might be closest for decent fuel in May. So bring your own extra fuel if sticking to the Nootka light house area and offshore there area.

Good to know, this will be my first trip and waiting for june sounds like
a good idea. Having Critter Cove for support would be wise.

Thanks MacDuff. I'm thinking of going right after ling are open and what kind of weather to expect.
I dont expect a weather forecast but in general at that time of year, fog being a concern.
Be prepared for everything - rain, wind, sun, fog. The fuel dock at Esperanza is open year round. The community operates a small store which sells tackle. Food, restaurants, accommodation and fuel are available in Tahsis.

Back