Cost to re do all wood in 23' Hurston

Knotty Seamen

Anyone know what cost would roughly be to re do a 23 foot hourstons stringers floor and transom if I had boat all gutted and old wood removed? Came across a hull I can buy with a bracket and trying to decide if I wanna take on the project. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been doing just that to a 21 Foot K & C. I stopped keeping track of the costs a while ago. I used Custom cut fir for stringers and Marine Plywood for the transom. Its an ongoing project and a lot of time and effort on top of incredible cost. You can buy a funcitoning boat and go fishing for years for what it costs to repair a boat. The only advantage to doing it is in the end you know what is under your feet and you can make the boat as sound as you wish, and in my case, (300 Plus pounds ),
"Jerry Proof". LOL.

Just working on a 18 ft Hourston same except stringers where still in great shape. We are gel Coating the whole boat and new transom Its not bad about $1000.00 to do the floor and Transom. Buy resin in a 5 gal bucket and lots of acidtone. We got the boat for free that helped..

Anyone recommend anyone to do this? I don't have time to do it myself and wanna get actual quote done. Wanna try and get done for this season. Thx

Blackline Marine is considered one of the best.. Count on 6-10 grand. I've rebuilt a few of them myself, my advice, get another boat. Having poddeda couple big Hourstons myself, are you sure the stringers are shot? Both of my boats had stringers that got a little wet, but were still fine. Re-doing the plywood in the transom is not a big job, but stringers and floors are a pain in the butt!

Re-doing the plywood in the transom is not a big job, but stringers and floors are a pain in the butt!
You got that right!
Redid my floor and stringers last year and I damn near took a match to my boat.In the end I was very happy with it, and the extra reinforcing added 3mph to my top speed.I was also able to add a fish hold in the floor, and also put a floor drain in the cuddy.
Total cost for my 19' was 1200$-that includes new fasteners,hoses, paint, etc., but doesn't include the 12 gallons of resin I needed( knew someone for that ;) )

The guy selling the boat is selling it with a bracket off a Grady. Will that even work on it ok? The boat is 500 and interior is nice but stringers have been removed and floor to point of entrance into cabin. Transom ply has been removed too. I really wanted to do this project as I could throw spare cash at it when poss.

Back