Coop marked gas with ethanol.

Vanisle marina still had E0 last time I was there. I also bought the ethanol tester to be sure, and it is indeed 0 ethanol.

No point paying the premium for marked premium from the Co-op if it has ethanol in it, unless your engine needs the higher octane. Might as well just run regular.

Can anyone confirm whether or not marinas carry ethanol-free fuel? Obviously it depends on the marina, but maybe it would be worthwhile to get a running list in a shared doc for reference.
I called marinas at Comox, Campbell River, Powell River and Gorge Harbour - all sell E0 premium gas. The E10 requirement is for road gas.

I called marinas at Comox, Campbell River, Powell River and Gorge Harbour - all sell E0 premium gas. The E10 requirement is for road gas.
Excellent, thanks. You pay a bit of a premium for marina mid-grade, but cheaper than phase separation from old E10 in your tank

The coop marked gas is not intended for road use.... its for farm, offroad or marine, so why does it have ethanol.

The coop marked gas is not intended for road use.... its for farm, offroad or marine, so why does it have ethanol.
Good point, I would inquire about that. Have you checked other stations selling marked gas? Any chance it’s just mislabeled at the one station?

I'm a trailer guy, so Im never at the marina or at the marina gas stations.

Also, marina fuel prices are significantly higher ?
Same here, but I am fortunate that my usual launch at Vanier Park is a stone’s throw from a marina, so if I’m not heading out before they open I try to fuel up there. Not a huge deal in my boat with a portable tank, I just siphon the leftover into the truck in the winter

Good point, I would inquire about that. Have you checked other stations selling marked gas? Any chance it’s just mislabeled at the one station?
Just read saxepoints comment about all the coops on the peninsula now having ethanol in marked gas…so there’s goes my thought

Peninsula Co-op’s website says:

As of October 1, 2023, we offer the following:
Regular gasoline – 87 octane; contains 10% ethanol, known as E10.
Mid-grade gasoline – 89 octane; contains 10% ethanol, known as E10.
Premium gasoline – 91 octane; will contain up to 10% ethanol.
Marked premium gasoline – 91 octane; will contain up to 10% ethanol.
Diesel – will not contain ethanol.

Excellent, thanks. You pay a bit of a premium for marina mid-grade, but cheaper than phase separation from old E10 in your tank
Apparently the E0 gas at marinas is top tier premium, now. No longer mid-grade. At the Discovery Harbour Fuel Dock it's $1.73/ liter, today.

Last edited:
Apparently the E0 gas at marinas is top tier premium, now. No longer mid-grade. At the Discovery Harbour Fuel Dock it's $1.73/ liter, today.
Decent price then. The only marina I’ve filled up at recently is False Creek fuels, and I didn’t notice if they upgraded to premium. I trust your experience more lol

I understand the supplier Parkland Fuels does not supply any ethanol free gasoline. Same is true for Columbia Fuels cardlock.

Maybe we should all switch to diesel lol
Seriously though, if all gas now has ethanol, why not diesel?

Decent price then. The only marina I’ve filled up at recently is False Creek fuels, and I didn’t notice if they upgraded to premium. I trust your experience more lol
Best price around this area! The local First Nations run a good operation at this marina.

I think all fuel in BC must now contain a minimum amount of Ethanol. 5% minimum for gas and 4% for diesel.

I emailed False Creek Fuels and Mike Short (Pres) confirmed they are Ethanol free for the time being.

I tried to read through the regulation and I didn't see a carve out for Marina gas, so who knows how long that will last. Would be curious if anyone knows about fuel from Pitt Meadows Marina or the Pitt River Boat Club

I emailed False Creek Fuels and Mike Short (Pres) confirmed they are Ethanol free for the time being.

I tried to read through the regulation and I didn't see a carve out for Marina gas, so who knows how long that will last. Would be curious if anyone knows about fuel from Pitt Meadows Marina or the Pitt River Boat Club
There are certainly exemptions to the ethanol requirement: ethanol in Av Gas, for instance, is prohibited by Transport Canada. Rec gas is another one. I called 5 Marina fuel docks. 100% confirmed only E0 at their pumps. Many are even promoting it on their sites: Van Isle Marina to Poett Nook!

Section 3(4) states that:
"gasoline placed in the market for the purposes of *generating power in aircraft, marine vessels or equipment, off-road vehicles or equipment, or vehicles manufactured prior to 1980* may be deducted from the total amount of gasoline placed in the market in the same compliance year in accordance with the compliance formula set out in section 4, if the fuel supplier so elects and can establish by written evidence, that the gasoline was distributed for those purposes."

So for the purposes of proving compliance, E0 fuels are deducted from the total volume of gasoline sold, in order to substantiate that the minimum ratio of ethanol is blended in, as stipulated for typical vehicles.

Last edited:
Back