• Regular pump gas

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Marked mid-grade

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • High test from Chevron

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

Bent-Tip

Just re-powered the mighty tyee. I ran marked mid-grade for the old 2 stroke and the dealer commented that the dye used to mark gas is a diesel derivative and hard on components as diesel is a thinner. He then went on to say that a modern EFI four stroke is compatible with 87 octane pump gas even it contains ethanol.
My kicker is normally aspirated. Both are Yamaha. Should I head to the pump and get regular ? Or continue to use the red stuff ???

Personally, l don't buy that the red dye is harmfull on components. It is mixed at a ratio of 14 parts per million or .0014%. I'd rather run that the use a fuel with ethanal at 10% or 10, 000 ppm. Ethanol is a pretty good thinner as well.

I find if I used marked gas in my Yamaha 150 and 9.9(both new four strokes), they both make oil and the oil turns quite red. I don't run marked anymore and oil levels don't go up between changes and doesn't change colour.

Nah won't hurt it. Diesel is a solvent and so is gas

The dyded stuff dosnt hurt anything its all personal preference and actually Lubricant, ive pumped well over 4million litres of dyed diesel into machines and havn't seen a Problem arrise from using it

The only way the oil would be turning colour or going up in level if the engine isnt burning the fuel completly and you have blow by where the fuel is getting sucked into the crank case thinning and dying the engine oil.

Last edited:
I run it in my twin 150's no issues at all, its only a dye, yes some of the color will transfer from cylinder walls to the oil thus turning it red.
not harmful at all, its only a marker to identify it as Agg gas which is not road taxed.

ran purple, dyed for years in diesel and gas engines with no issues. will continue to also. never once thought it was having a negative effect and don't think I ever will....

I've used marked fuel in every outboard I've owned over the last 45 years. I should have saved enough money in 45 years to retire by now. Sadly I must have spent the savings on something else. Dam you Stella!!!! lol

We had 50 hp Hondas on our 7 lodge boats and the red dye was not much of an issue except turning the oil reddish . The big problem was the ethanol in the regular gas. It was hell on the older carbureted engines . We ran premium the last few years I was there and had very few issues after that. A lot more money but worth it when your on the westside of the Charlottes for 115 days

Nothing to worry about marine grade marked gas... Better than anything with ethanol in it. Car injectors & fuel systems are built to handle it... Most new outboards, not so much (A lot say do not use gas with ethanol at all!!!)

Back