cool things caught in prawn and crab traps

Charter Tofino

Today i was pulling up my prawn trap (400 feet of line 30 lb 5 foot commercial trap=tired arms!).It felt heavier than ushual. i thought it was a big bait stealing starfish. I pulled the trap to the boat and low and behold a big starfish. But i took a closer look when it got closer and i noticed it was to big and red to be a starfish. It was a massive octapus. probaly 6 foot legs with a basketball sized head. I have only seen them diving and i once caught one fishing but they were never close to this big. I looked at it for a bit then let it go. It ate every one of my prawns and judging by the shells i must of had 40. I have also caught 6 full grown dogfish that broke into one of my traps and ripped it to peices. In a crab trap i also caught half a dogfish. im guessing it was killed by a bunch of crabs when it got stuck in the trap. What have you guys caught. ???

beachcomber NANOOSE

1- octopus, never that big tho
2- some kind of weird deepwater sculpins- pretty big(14 inches or so)
3- big sun stars- i mean big

lotsa sole and flounder, and the usual massive starfish

never heard on lingcod hmmmmm wonder what it would have been in there for as they hunt by sight instead of smell do they not??

th

Back