Converting to Bucket Seats?

Ringo

Crew Member
The back to back lounge seats on my Campion are not holding up anymore and every time I’m on a small chop, the seats open themselves up and get flattened out to the bed mode. This is especially annoying to the passenger on the port side and coukd also be a safety risk when small children are on the lounge seat.

I looked online and the only replacement is the Wise seats but the reviews aren’t too good. I also thought about converting to single bucket seats. Got a price quote from Campion on the bucket seats that they use in the newer model plus the pedestal, slider and the seat cover and I almost fell off of my chair! The seats look super nice but they would almost cost me a grand/piece after tax and shipping. I have no plans to sell the boat in near future but it would definitely be nice if the interior looks all nice and clean.

Cheapest option is to repair the existing seats. Would it be possible to use a L bracket and fasten the seats just so they permanently stay in the upright position?

The other option is to convert to a cheaper bucket seat. Any idea what would be a reasonable option for this conversion? There’s a fish box under the lounge seat so I guess should be able to remove the seat and the stand and then bolt the pedestal base through the top of the fish box.

Would be nice to get the perspective of those who have done this project before.

I removed the sleeper seat and bought a wise replacement. After opening the box I returned it. Total crap. I got a temptress high back Deluxe or something like that. I love them! 300$ ea and 100$ for a pedastal.

Sleeper seats are usually built in a way that you lift the back to clear a wood cleat and pull back to lay down.Screw the cleats from the back of the base and they won't fold out anymore.You haven't said how big your boat is,I'd prefer pedestal seats in a small boat,but depends on how many people you need to seat.

Sleeper seats are usually built in a way that you lift the back to clear a wood cleat and pull back to lay down.Screw the cleats from the back of the base and they won't fold out anymore.You haven't said how big your boat is,I'd prefer pedestal seats in a small boat,but depends on how many people you need to seat.
It’s an Explorer 542, newer haul model. I think I’m going to convert the sleepers to pedestal seats. I looked at the seats that are in the newer Campion boats and they are very similar to the Tempress ProBax Captain seats:

https://tempress.com/store/ProBax-Captains-Seat-p97903167

My only problem is that I can’t fins them with the gray and white pattern to match the captain seat.

This is how the newer 542s look like. The other option is to get rid of the sleeper, add a pedestal for the passenger and a cushion seat on top of the fish box. Cushions are easy to clean when there’s fish blood and slime everywhere. Any thoughts?
upload_2020-6-9_11-52-19.jpeg

Last edited:
i like my legend captains chairs. work awesome and they are suspension seats so they cushion the small impacts.
https://www.legendboats.com/seating/deluxe-reclining-captains-chair/
$700 ish. bought them from chilliwack from the legend dealer there.
xcalibur_accessory_captains_chair.png

Another option is to go to a marine upholster and get a quote? I had both my sleepers replaced with new ones for $700 at Stitches Trim Shop in Langley and they did a great job.

I have the s
I removed the sleeper seat and bought a wise replacement. After opening the box I returned it. Total crap. I got a temptress high back Deluxe or something like that. I love them! 300$ ea and 100$ for a pedastal.
i have the same tempress seats, not high end but the price was right, west marine in the US

Another option is to go to a marine upholster and get a quote? I had both my sleepers replaced with new ones for $700 at Stitches Trim Shop in Langley and they did a great job.
The sleeper seats are in a good shape. There’s rotten plywood or cracked foam, etc. and I put a new Campion cover on them a couple of years ago.
The issue is with the hardware or the wood cleat. If I can get them to stick to the upright position and not fold out on their own, I’d rather keep them as-is. I use them for a nap when fishing is slow or while waiting at the dock. On the starboard side, I only have one seat at the helm so, fishing space isn’t a big issue.

Back