Conversion from inboard to outboard

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Well kelly i personally was told different thats why i enclosed it but that also was the time with the 3 ft high sides etc.etc. i know they made some changes maybe that was one of them??????

Wolf

Possibly. If he flunks me, you'll hear me screaming from Cheanuh, but what I got from him was "Does not sound like it will be a problem", and I did mention several times "Large 20 inch hole from OMC sterndrive leg open to inside of pod". He didn't say anything about 3 ft sides, but I know a guy with a 21 Seaswirl who got certified, and he sure as hell doesn't have 3 ft sides (Maybe 16 inchers).. Who knows, I hope I get him on a good day.

If you don't close the hole in the transom, could water enter through the cockpit and into the pod? Perhaps this is a concern in an emergancy?

Possibly, but it is just another area of the hull. I don't know how 4 cubic feet of water could make much of a difference when it is coming in at that rate! Otherwise, we would not be alloed to have V-Berths and stuff. If the pod is bolted and secured properly, it is no different then any other area of the hull. There is nothing in the standards that I read stating the hull must be one uniform piece of the same material. It is very common to add on hull extensions using fiberglass, which is basicly "glueing" it on.

quote:Originally posted by jimbob

I am looking to get a bigger boat (18-19 feet rather than my current 16 foot double eagle) and have an idea which I would like to test. I want an outboard rather than an I/O engine. I often see ads for hulls which I like but the engine is an I/O. Here is my question. Can you convert a hull from I/O to an outboard? Is it possible to fix the transom inexpensively to get rid of the I/O and allow for mounting of an outboard? Is the effort and expense worth it?
I converted my 17 1/2 foot K&C (1971) but it took a lot of work. Fotunately, the hull was strong and it was a deep V. Unfortunately, the hull was very heavy (two tons loaded)and when I attached a 115hp to the bracket it just barely made to plane at 80% power. So I went to a 175hp Evinrude long shaft. It was able to kick the hull up to plane but at 22 mph which can be a little uncomfortable in a heavy sea. Back in 1993, I had the transom strengthened with fiberglassed bracing and the bracket was built by Lifetimer for $1200. The bracket was a good investment for I have been able to mount a live well on it. The bracket also seems to stabilize the boat with a following sea.
Make sure your transom is strong and try to find out how others have made out with a bracket on boats similiar to yours.
Spring Drifter

quote:Originally posted by jimbob

I am looking to get a bigger boat (18-19 feet rather than my current 16 foot double eagle) and have an idea which I would like to test. I want an outboard rather than an I/O engine. I often see ads for hulls which I like but the engine is an I/O. Here is my question. Can you convert a hull from I/O to an outboard? Is it possible to fix the transom inexpensively to get rid of the I/O and allow for mounting of an outboard? Is the effort and expense worth it?
I converted my 17 1/2 foot K&C (1971) but it took a lot of work. Fotunately, the hull was strong and it was a deep V. Unfortunately, the hull was very heavy (two tons loaded)and when I attached a 115hp to the bracket it just barely made to plane at 80% power. So I went to a 175hp Evinrude long shaft. It was able to kick the hull up to plane but at 22 mph which can be a little uncomfortable in a heavy sea. Back in 1993, I had the transom strengthened with fiberglassed bracing and the bracket was built by Lifetimer for $1200. The bracket was a good investment for I have been able to mount a live well on it. The bracket also seems to stabilize the boat with a following sea.
Make sure your transom is strong and try to find out how others have made out with a bracket on boats similiar to yours.
Spring Drifter

Back