Conversation With DFO - Halibut Allocation Issue

capt josh

Here's the correspondence with DFO, I'm going to keep this thread going as things develop. I encourage any of you to please also post your own correspondence here as well!

Here's my first letter -

Dear Hon. Gail Shea,

As a fourth generation fisherman in my family I have spent my life guided by the movements of fish around this country, and the men and women who endeavour to catch them. From humble commercial beginnings in my pre-teen years, I have learned about the delicate balance of the eco-system, and the need for sustainable fishing practices if we are to maintain the viability of this extremely important resource.

In the past twenty three years since I began fishing commercially with my family as a young child, I have seen this province grow and the popularity of sport fishing grow along with it. I now make my living as a professional sport fishing captain, for a myriad of reasons. The first and foremost being that I truly believe that a sport caught fish is worth tremendously more to the people of this province than a number of commercially caught fish, and that the long-term effects of the sport fishery are far healthier than a large-scale commercial effort on many levels.

What worries me most, is that the current halibut allocation regulations favour commercial fishing so heavily, that the sport sector, including families like mine who are dependant on sport-caught halibut to survive, is suffering.

Currently, 88% of the total allowable halibut catch is allocated to 436 commercial license holders thanks to an outdated mandate from 1991. Many of these license holders do not even fish anymore! They are allowed to "lease" out their allocation to other boats while they sit at home and collect a check. To me this kind of system is more than inherently wrong. Why is the government allowing a minority of license holders to continue to monopolize the majority of the quota?

Recreational halibut fishermen, myself included, number in the hundreds of thousands and yet are allocated only 12% of the total allowable catch of halibut. Considering the amount of revenue that sport fishing generates, particularly when compared to that of the commercial sector, it seems silly that these 436 commercial license holders should be allowed to control the majority of the halibut quota. It would seem to me that in terms of broad economic effect, and perhaps political influence, that hundreds of thousands of residents and visiting sport fishing anglers are more deserving of a fairer share of quota than 436 commercial license holders, many of whom never physically fish for halibut anymore!

Please help me understand how we can work to achieve a more viable distribution of the halibut quota, as families and fishermen like myself are seriously concerned with the direction that this issue is headed. I would like to offer my time and experience with regards to this issue, and will gladly participate in meetings, forums, or any such medium where discussions of this matter are apt to surface. I am happy to cover my own travel, time, and expenses at no cost to the government in hopes of conveying the seriousness with which I, and others like me, regard this very pertinent matter.

In closing, I appreciate you taking the time to consider this letter, and look forward to your response.

Regards,

Capt Josh Temple
Tofino, British Columbia

And here's DFO's response -

Fisheries and Oceans
Pacific Region Suite 200 - 401 Burrard Street Vancouver, B.C. V6C 3S4
DEC 302010
Peches et Oceans
Region du Pacifique Piece 200 - 401 rue Burrard Vancouver (C.-B.) V6C 3S4
Captain Josh Temple < captjosh@mac.com >
Dear Captain Temple:
Thank you for your correspondence of December 10,2010, addressed to the Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, regarding the quota and allocation of Pacific halibut to the commercial and recreational sectors. I have been asked to respond on Minister Shea's behalf.
I assure you that Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) recognizes the cultural and economic importance of the Pacific halibut recreational fishery in British Columbia, including the economic contribution the sector makes to businesses and communities on the west coast of Canada.
The Canadian total allowable catch (TAC) is determined on an annual basis through the International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC), which was established in 1923 by a Convention between Canada and the United States. Canada remains committed to meeting its obligations with the IPHC.
As you are aware, the halibut allocation policy designates 12 percent of Canada's TAC to the recreational sector and 88 percent to the commercial sector. Except for years in which additional quota was accessed by the recreational sector from the commercial sector, this percentage has remained constant since the allocation policy was adopted in 2003. Declining abundance has resulted in there being fewer halibut available for all to harvest. For 201 0, both the United States and Canada's catch shares were reduced. Canada's 2010 TAC was 7.5 million pounds, down from its high in 2006, when the TAC was 13.2 million pounds.
Regarding the leasing of quota by commercial halibut fishers, the decline in the number of active vessels in the halibut fishery since individual quotas were introduced in 1991 is largely due to conservation and subsequent management measures introduced by DFO. These measures include: stricter monitoring; closed areas; accountability of all catch; and changes to quota transfer rules. Each of these changes has affected the economic viability of commercial halibut harvesters.
.../2
Canada
Your file Our file
Votre reference Notre reference
-2*
In response to these changes, some harvesters have, over time, decided to leave the fishery permanently, and others have stayed to make bigger investments in quota holdings to increase their individual harvest opportunities. The free movement of quota between licence holders ensures that all available halibut fishing opportunities are fully utilized and undertaken by those harvesters with the greatest interest and ability to fish.
It must be noted that, like any other fishery, halibut harvesting is not static. Individual quota moves between licence holders from year to year for a variety of reasons, including fluctuating prices paid by processors, fishing opportunities of other species made available to halibut licence holders, and the need to periodically pull vessels from active fishing for refit purposes. These factors, as well as many others, affect the actions taken by individual halibut harvesters from year to year. Ultimately, the degree to which any halibut fisher chooses to fish his or her quota during any season is a business decision of that individual at that time.
Fisheries management is a complex issue and the balance between conservation, economic and social issues is challenging. The Department is committed to continuing discussions with both the recreational and commercial sectors on the development of a long-term solution for the catch-share adjustment between the recreational and commercial sectors.
DFO appreciates your willingness to participate in ongoing discussions. Local stakeholders are encouraged to provide their input to local Sport Fishing Advisory Committees, which are located throughout the province. To become involved in this process, please contact the local Sport Fishing Advisory Committee in your area. For more information, please visit < www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/sfab-ccps* eng.htm >.
Thank you for taking the time to write to the Minister. Yours sincerely,
Bonnie Antcliffe Acting Regional Director Fisheries and Aquaculture Management Branch Pacific Region

And here's my letter from today back -

January 7, 2011

Dear Bonnie,

Thank you very much for your response to my letter. It is truly heartening to know that DFO is open and approachable on the issue of halibut allocation and the seriousness of this issue as it pertains to fishermen whom depend on halibut to support our families.

With regards to your response letter, I have a few further questions that I hope you can help me with. When the halibut allocation policy was adopted in 2003 it was made abundantly clear by DFO that there would be "absolutely no in-season closures in the sport fishing fishery". However, if current allocation limits are upheld, and DFO media releases are to be believed, the sport fishing industry is facing a province-wide closure in the early summer of 2011. Last season, 2010, our halibut fishery closed in mid-October. While this might come as a surprise to DFO, many sport fishermen are still fishing halibut during the fall and winter seasons. My question to DFO is, why were we told in 2003 that we would never face in-season closures if in fact we are facing yet another in-season closure during the 2011 season, our third potential in-season closure in the last four years?

Subsequently, again during the 2003 policy adoption disclosure, DFO promised that if there were future problems with the ratio of halibut allocation, that DFO would revisit the original 88 - 12 split as formulated in 2003 and amend the ratio as required. Certainly the sport fishing sector has proved to DFO that the current allocation of 88-12 is neither fair nor sustainable for the hundreds of thousands of sport fishermen that fish in British Columbia for halibut every year. Does DFO currently have a proposal in place with regards to a potentially new allocation split that will provide the sport fishermen in British Columbia with a more favourable quota allocation? And if so is DFO prepared to meet with both the commercial and sport fishing sectors to discuss this new proposal?

Finally, with regards to the importance of this issue as it pertains to the 2011 fishing season, and furthermore how it will effect the hundreds of thousands of recreational anglers who are intending to fish halibut during the 2011 season, are there currently ongoing discussions within DFO that are pertinent to this allocation issue, insofar as the increase of quota to the sport fishing sector is concerned? And if so what are the details of these discussions and who is involved in them?

I appreciate your effort and time in responding to these very important questions, and look forward to your response.

Regards,

Capt Josh Temple
Tofino, British Columbia

Great letter can't wait to hear what they have to say about no inseason closures!

I agree, well written and on point. Keep the pressure on the minister to give an answer one way or the other.

Indeed, well written and thanks for taking the time on all of our accounts.

Personally, I find it most difficult to keep a civil-tongue when addressing these peckerheads.

Back