Conservation Measures for Northern and Southern BC Chinook Salmon and Southern Resident Killer Whale

Hey Nog,
How did the Seal Impact meeting go?

It was extremely interesting.
There will be a lot more coming on this matter shortly now, just as soon as they get a couple technical details sorted out.
I believe most will be onside with this development.
I know I certainly am...

Cheers,
Nog

I read an article in the PSF magazine that said the lack of food is pretty much due to Washington, Oregon and california chinook populations, I'll scene it at work on monday! Anyways some good news on the whale watcher front 200m by july 11.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ding-to-help-save-key-whale-species-1.4717980

Canadian government announces measures to help save key whale species

Some key recommendations include:

• Reducing the total fishery removal of Chinook salmon by 25 to 35 per cent.
  • Closing fisheries where whales forage for food.
  • Introducing a new mandatory requirement for all marine vessels — including recreational boats — to stay 200 metres away from killer whales starting July 11.
  • Adding to the underwater hydrophone network to measure and track noise impacts of individual vessels.

I don't no who you are Dean Kennedy but thanks for posted on this on CBC and letting people know what the real issues are for these early endangered fraser river chinook stocks!! and southern resident killer whales!

upload_2018-6-23_13-28-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-23_13-27-15.png
    upload_2018-6-23_13-27-15.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 28
There will be a lot more coming on this matter shortly now, just as soon as they get a couple technical details sorted out.
I know I certainly am...

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks Nog looking forward to hearing what will happen.

LEH sea lion to replace our stolen G-Bears??? I'm all for that. When can we apply?

HM

I am a realist, do not for a second think current Governments will increase, enhance or better our fishing and hunting oportunities.

HM

I know I certainly am...

Cheers,
Nog

I'm interested to hear what the particulars are, I emailed Kenneth Pearce asking for info and basically received a reply that the next meeting was July 20 @ 8:30 at the Nanaimo convention centre. Being that I don't live in Nanaimo and work for A living I did not make that meeting. Curious to know the particulars of this group.......

Just called in 3 illegal nets in the canyon.
Opening ended at noon today not 830pm.
Im sure someone will come lol....

This.^^^^^. Ceremonial/food fisheries are one thing but, use traditional methods. I’d be down with that. But using “white mans” tools like nylon nets and gas motors on aluminum boats doesn’t strike me as very traditional.
So what your saying they should not use anything that they didn't have pre contact. Would that include vaccines for their children? Where would you draw the line ..... They can have a modern life but when it comes to harvesting salmon, sorry you can't enter the 21st century you must stay back in 17th century. What right do we have to hold them to that standard.

Ugh.

Weak point GLG. Isn’t the reason they are allowed to harvest for preservation of culture?

Taking some troubled young boys/men off the street and out of the res and having them spend some time on the river nurturing their relationship with nature is what should be happening.

Not dragging nets and ending up with major surpluses. That is a hokey commercial operation.

Floater has it right. If it’s a”traditional” food and ceremonial fishery, use “traditional” methods.

In my opinion, and it’s just an opinion. Anything other than that and we’re giving them license to slaughter the runs. Traditional fishing methods always allowed some fish to make it through and reach the spawning grounds. Using modern methods, it’s obvious the pressure put on any given run is much more than would be by a guy using a dip net or hand woven gill net.

FN are the first to declare that it’s their tradition and right to take fish even on a small run year. I’ve got no problem with that. I do have a problem with someone using that argument and modern technology to do so and saying its their traditional fishery.

It’s not traditional and never will be. It’s a bunch of guys in an aluminum boat netting an ever decreasing amount of fish.

Last edited:
So they should be forced to use ancient pre-european colonization harvesting techniques despite the decimation of the runs by the descendants of European colonists making those techniques largely ineffective? Every thread goes to the same theme, blame everyone else (FN, seals,) when the salmon disappearance is squarely on us for destroying habitat, introducing non native farmed species, erroneously thinking smolt factories could replace natural spawning, and overfishing.

^^^YES^^if it’s a traditional fishery.
That’s a weak argument at best. It’s the 2000s for Christ sake.

And before you start calling me racist or anti native, my dad is FN.

He hasn’t fished salmon in over 30 years because of the greed. He’s also the first one that’ll tell you native dudes laugh at white guys and the regs we have to follow.

Last edited:
So they should be forced to use ancient pre-european colonization harvesting techniques despite the decimation of the runs by the descendants of European colonists making those techniques largely ineffective? Every thread goes to the same theme, blame everyone else (FN, seals,) when the salmon disappearance is squarely on us for destroying habitat, introducing non native farmed species, erroneously thinking smolt factories could replace natural spawning, and overfishing.

100%, BUT now that we are where we are we need to look at the pressures that are on the remaining fish and see what we need to do to ease those pressures. I think the fish can handle a legitimate FSC fishery, it's the additional quasi-commercial fishing and poaching that most reasonable individuals take issue with.

California, I’ll call you out on this every time because it’s a sad tactic you seem to rely on.

Don’t stretch my statements out to the extreme to try an invalidate them.

Hell, they didn’t have Dams before Europeans, so why don’t they build some and sit by the ladder and scoop up all they want?! Nah, because that’s not traditional either.

I just can’t, for the life of me, understand the mentality behind so called “conservationists” defending this practice. Even when we have abundance. Is it a deep seeded guilt? What have you guys done in your past that makes you feel this way. My conscience is clear, I see these groups as humans the same as anyone else and I have never treated anyone with disrespect unless it’s shown to me first. Hence I can call out this practice and sleep well.

Or maybe your just being a contrarian? Idk.

Last edited:
So what your saying they should not use anything that they didn't have pre contact. Would that include vaccines for their children? Where would you draw the line ..... They can have a modern
So what your saying they should not use anything that they didn't have pre contact. Would that include vaccines for their children? Where would you draw the line ..... They can have a modern life but when it comes to harvesting salmon, sorry you can't enter the 21st century you must stay back in 17th century. What right do we have to hold them to that standard.

Well I’d have to say get with the times or live in the past. But... no cherry picking. Follow our regs or follow your traditions but stop using the best of both worlds and claiming it’s traditional. It’s a sham and hurts the traditionsl food fishery argument and turns people against FN.

I’d go further and say when DFO does finally catch people of any nationality or race fishing illegally it should be mandatory to set court dates for mid winter and seize the boats until after said court date. Those offenders and their boats would effectively be out of the fishery for the season. Hungry in the dead of winter? Too bad. Next year you might follow the rules.

California, I’ll call you out on this every time because it’s a sad tactic you seem to rely on.
Yes, I do rely on the tactic of calling out hypocrisy when I see it. You provide a lot of ammunition, you did again and now I cant help myself! There are no Dams on the Fraser. On tributaries where are dams placed? At natural constrictions of the river where FN likely fished traditionally . then the dam turns miles of river into a lake and damages the salmon run.

I have stated many times that while I don't believe official FN fisheries are an issue (they take a fraction of the Chinook we take as sport fisherman) but unreported catches and poaching need to be addressed for the health of the runs, regardless of who is doing it. I'm not so naive to not realize most of the Fraser poaching is FN and the catch is being sold for cash. I don't support it and want it stopped through enforcement as much as anyone else. But I don't make statements like they should be restricted to fishing methods from 400 years ago. That's your choice.

I said rod and reel in my original post man. The same techniques used by sport fisherman.

Claiming fishing rights for traditional reasons then using modern commercial equip is the height of hypocrisy.

Back to the hysterical drawing board buddy.

A few things to note here as I disrupt a decent Sunday morning to deal with another thread gone sideways.
Is it not possible for people to look at the title of a thread and then post ONLY things that are pertinent to the thread? Does the title of this thread have anything to do with First Nations fishing techniques or their rights to harvest fish in the rivers? Why is this such a difficult edict to follow for people educated enough to use this forum and type well enough to be understood by others reading their posts?
This constant confusion between FN rights to harvest within set limits set by DFO and poaching needs to be acknowledged once and for all and then left alone. No illegal activity should ever be condoned by anyone, but, as has been stated here many times, complaining about it on a forum like this is not going to affect change. Continue to push for change with the politicians and law enforcement authorities as often as you can, but stop bitching about it here. When Andrew H from the forum took action and called authorities, a good outcome occurred. The key was he took action in the right way.
Again, assuming everyone is staying within legal limits and abiding by the fishing rules, suggesting there should be no harvest of any kind for First Nations in the rivers while the rec and commercial sector continue to harvest fish is never going to happen. (If anyone has a right to complain it may be rec fishers who have been restricted from river fishing). There have been justifiable statements here, by more than one member, that fishing on the west coast has cultural value to every Canadian, not to mention the economic value to coastal communities, and social structures that need to be protected by Government. However, to suggest that the tradition of sport fishing remains the same as when these various values were established is ridiculous. The changes in the ability to access new fishing grounds with bigger and more powerful boats, sonar and fish finding technology, down riggers that allow fish to be caught at 200 or more feet, etc. have changed exponentially since I first moved to the coast in the early 80's. Still vividly recall my ex-father-in-law pulling out the old Peetz knuckle buster with the steel line and weighted ball in Port Renfrew to catch large Salmon. Those days are gone and with them, it seems, too many Salmon.
I guess my point through all of this is, complaining about the past or trying to relive it is useless. When we accept that things aren't going to get better until ALL groups who want the opportunity to catch Salmon figure out a way to work together for one common cause, that being an abundance of fish, any ranting is just a waste of energy that would be better spent trying to make it happen.
So, continue to call out poachers with the proper authorities until they have no choice but to listen.
Do not paint any group of people with the same brush. There are bad apples everywhere.
Stay on topic in the forum.
Keep the personal crap out of your posts.
If we can manage to do all these things and post with respect all should be good.

Last edited:
Back