Conservation Measures for Northern and Southern BC Chinook Salmon and Southern Resident Killer Whale

Don’t give up. Keep trying the usual avenues for sending messages to Government. However we also need to learn from our past mistakes. One of those is we were badly out gunned in the social media space by the Green ENGO groups. This particular Minister listens more to social media than perhaps even his own Senior staff.

Start using your social media networks to get the message out There are a lot of very good posts on this site that you could draw content ideas from. Imagine the power of thousands of social media posts and how quickly we could fan out messages. Everyone here has that ability right now at no cost

The key is to craft well thought out positive messages promoting the social and conomic value of the Rec fishery. Tell our story. Keep it real, mentioning how these political decisions ruin a way of life, crush the economic contributions to Canada, kill jobs in small coastal communities.

Let’s all take up the call to action and turn our attention towards doing something constructive.

Christopher I always have been supportive of everything Sviac has done from beginning. This time though we need a change. You guys look at the 20ft view. This is how I viewed things a year ago until I got involved with other fisheries in other areas. I now look at the 10k view looking at all of BC. That's why I moved all of my support to SFI. It's nothing against you guys but having whale watchers essentially fund the organization worries me a bit. I still do believe that forage areas if that's what they are should be free from traffic. Where you guys stepped into it was trying to silence anyone that mentioned the whale watchers or why they were allowed in there. It's like we couldn't say anything about them and not get jumped on. That to me just didn't feel right as an area angler. Anyways I said what I said and will leave it for now but it isn't just me that feels that way. Please listen to the guys in your area. Especially the guys in Area 18 in the Pender area. They don't even have a fishery. We shouldn't be silencing any of them for speaking their mind.

Thanks for your reply. Just need to be clear on one thing. I personally never said people cannot express their opinions or thoughts on any subject on any position on this forum. I firmly believe this is essential for good debate, and development of ideas, and more importantly a right of us all in a democracy which I know we both cherish. Enough said.

Best of luck with your future work with SFI-BC, they are a great group to work with and the more folks they have helping them the better for recreational fishing!

If a total fin-fish closure is required to protect the SRKW, why are commercial boats permitted to fish for bottom fish? Earlier today in Area 18 off Pender there was a commercial boat with nets in the area in the middle of the closed area fishing for bottom fish.

According to the DFO this is legally permitted despite the fact that as a recreational fisher, I cannot fish for the same. What brain trust has decided that a complete recreational closure is warranted while permitting commercial operations?

Is the Minister really this out of touch with reality? I would think he would be more competent than this!

The point I was trying to make is that the DFO will ignore the economic impact of closing huge areas if they think it will save an endangered whale. Or to be more cynical, the government of the day will tell DFO what to do in hopes of winning back the growing green vote leading to the next election.
Sooke = Caraquet

Of course, the DFO has no idea what the economic impact is and it's obvious they don't care. They never did any studies into the economic impact.

The words Liberal & Economic are like "fire & Ice" total opposites.

Remember "budgets balance them self"

Here is more conservation measures for our endangered Fraser Chinook.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/abor-autoc/UpperFraser/UMFOpenTimes-eng.htm
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CeremonialOpeningTimes.html
This is by far the most openings in the Fraser we have seen in a long time!
The increase in openings for gillnets in the mid Fraser will wipe out anything that made it through the canyon. Absolutely disgusting!

The increase in openings for gillnets in the mid Fraser will wipe out anything that made it through the canyon. Absolutely disgusting!

And here we are taking more cutbacks and closures to help the Fraser Chinook get back to their spawning grounds. :(:mad:

And here we are taking more cutbacks and closures to help the Fraser Chinook get back to their spawning grounds. :(:mad:

The 35% reduction was to get more in FN nets, the spawning grounds only get more fish if FSC fisheries are dialed back. Escapement goals have not changed.

If you want a chinook to make it to its spawning bed i suggest you put them in a live well and take it their yourself.

Not many Cu's left where DFO does actual spawning counts, Counting fish before they get caught is stupid, The only way to be sure fish are spawning is counting them on their spawning grounds.
The lack of funding that DFO receives to do assessments shrinking year by year. Pathetic

I know a counting fence on a classified river way up North BC, feeds the Skeena, the man who runs and reports to DFO was upset last year as a certain group of citizens annually snag, spear and break the lock on the counting cage to get at the steelhead and chinook (easier). Last year these stewards "entitlement" was 10X more more than the river has ever seen. But yes down from years previous when limits were never mentioned. You should see the stewards camps, it all makes me sick. Maybe even prejudice.

HM

I know a counting fence on a classified river way up North BC, feeds the Skeena, the man who runs and reports to DFO was upset last year as a certain group of citizens annually snag, spear and break the lock on the counting cage to get at the steelhead and chinook (easier). Last year these stewards "entitlement" was 10X more more than the river has ever seen. But yes down from years previous when limits were never mentioned. You should see the stewards camps, it all makes me sick. Maybe even prejudice.

HM

Exactly why I won’t sit by anymore and bite my tongue about the allocations given to the “Keepers of the Land and Sea”.

Since I ACTUALLY treat all people equally (not just virtue signal online), I realize that these humans have the same traits as any other race on the planet. In fact, given the economic conditions of large portions of this group, they have more propensity to rape the resource.

When political candidates step up and buck the current system, work against the current PC insanity and have the spine to take the heat from the screaming banshees on the far left, I will not only vote for them, I’ll do whatever I can to ensure others do too. Until that time, absolutely nothing will change.

Folks, that’s all you can do. Vote for the guy/gal that shakes this **** up. Vote for the person who the media hate, that tells it like it is. We are on a path to ruin unless we show support for change.

OH just wait .... more **** is coming down the pipe..... No push back from anyone so if im a betting man they will take a bigger bite somewhere else soon....

Exactly why I won’t sit by anymore and bite my tongue about the allocations given to the “Keepers of the Land and Sea”.

Since I ACTUALLY treat all people equally (not just virtue signal online), I realize that these humans have the same traits as any other race on the planet. In fact, given the economic conditions of large portions of this group, they have more propensity to rape the resource.

When political candidates step up and buck the current system, work against the current PC insanity and have the spine to take the heat from the screaming banshees on the far left, I will not only vote for them, I’ll do whatever I can to ensure others do too. Until that time, absolutely nothing will change.

Folks, that’s all you can do. Vote for the guy/gal that shakes this **** up. Vote for the person who the media hate, that tells it like it is. We are on a path to ruin unless we show support for change.
Politicians have tried but the Supreme Court rulings are hard to fight.

OH just wait .... more **** is coming down the pipe..... No push back from anyone so if im a betting man they will take a bigger bite somewhere else soon....

You are bang on. It’s how these people work.

Little by little, always playing the long game.

Politicians have tried but the Supreme Court rulings are hard to fight.

Sorry man, I can’t accept that.

The hearings on this case happened in the same period that white guilt was ramped up to max. Add to that international bodies that have actively worked against western norms and you get what we have now.

I understand the process and the legal standings, but I refuse to accept the judgement that a certain race shall be treated differently to other citizens. It’s just wrong in every way.

Still waiting for leadership and communication from an organization that already exists. Sports fishers working independently is not going to do it. Anybody know if we are close to an organization taking the lead that we can support?

Why wait. Start your own social media campaign. It’s free and effective.

Social media campaigns are started by well funded groups that put out messages that then can be shared...

it's essentially a political campaign though free advertisement still need to spend thousands creating the massage.

I honestly think that these let's just call them, pro-fishing groups, don't know how to use social media and are fearful of actually engaging in all out meme warfare.

I agree we can all do this and I will however it's unlikely to sway decision makers and does not have the impact of an organized strategy.

Exactly. Think of the power if everyone here posting on their social media asked all your contacts to do the same. Exponential powerful messages. I know some people who have 5000 followers. Just imagine if all those people started sending their own messages out to all their contacts and so on, and so on

And if you wonder how the Area Refuge closures that only impacted Rec fishers happened look no farther than a social media - we got out foxed by Green ENGO groups

Back