Compressor for air rides

abbyfireguy

Working diligently on my installation of air rides in the boat.. Thinking ahead to compressor install. I will be using a Viair Compressor installed under the bow, do you guys have a tank or not? I am not planning to have an air horn or any air tools.
Do you just plumb the airlines direct to the seats and use a switch for the compressor?
Thanks for any ideas. Looking forward to having a spine that is happy after lumpy days in the boat..
Trying to keep it simple..

Last edited by a moderator:
Just installed air rides in mine and was set on installing a tank so the compressor wouldn't have to be turned on every time you needed more air. After having a tough time finding an aluminum tank to fit where I wanted, I decided against it. In the end I have a rocker switch to turn on the compressor and quickly adjust seats and turn it off. Works good. Takes 10-15 seconds to air the seat up if it's completely deflated but 2 or 3 seconds for an on the fly adjustment. I am using a VIAIR 400

No tank on the Sculpin. Haven't needed one yet. There are quite a few folks that run them though.

This is what I have under the hood lol.

Seat switches. Up down, lumbar, you name it!

Alberni fisher put me onto the these shark type fittings for the new seat. They are awesome compared to the old school brass fittings.

Still have the old school fittings on the passenger side.

Continued.....

Side shot of the Bostrom trucker seat.

Air bellows.

One of the most comfortable seats a captain could have on a budget.

Bostrom Wideride with Serta memory foam and clad in real leather.

The air compressor is run off a switch on the dash (top right with no labeling).

I have to pump them up about every third trip. Not much, just kinda top them off. Love the seats. Best thing on the boat besides the diesel heater. I paid 1100 bucks for the new drivers seat from my local trucking outfit. I'm sure you could get them cheaper by not supporting their local establishments and buying them on line or going to Alberta:rolleyes::D.

Cheers,
John

Thanks for the info. I am going to use similar connectors. What is the name on those ones? I have quick connectors on my truck air bags and compressor for the exhaust brake too.

Thanks for the info. I am going to use similar connectors. What is the name on those ones? I have quick connectors on my truck air bags and compressor for the exhaust brake too.

Probably the same ones. I bought the connectors from Berks Intertruck in Nanaimo. Same as the seat.

I bought some of those plastic connectors when I installed mine but didn't like the fact that I couldn't quite feel that the air tubing was pushed all the way in compared to the brass push to connect fittings. I ended using the brass in the end.

I bought some of those plastic connectors when I installed mine but didn't like the fact that I couldn't quite feel that the air tubing was pushed all the way in compared to the brass push to connect fittings. I ended using the brass in the end.

You might have something there. My passenger seat (which is the old captains seat) seems to be doing really well with minimal pump ups over time. The brand new one with the special shark type fittings hasn't performed to my liking yet. Might have to go to the old school brass fittings myself on this one. Wasn't trying to pump them up or anything (pun intended):). They are easy for sure.

I have a tank on my boat and its a pain with the solenoid always acting up... I bypassed it and went right to a toggle that loads the tank, then im good for 3-4 days of air before I need to flick the switch

Back