Comox Valley Beer Wars

Duffer

Tortuga and I were discussing why is Blue cheaper than Lucky now, is this only happening in the Valley? Are the boys in Cumberland sticking to there Luckies? I dont quite know what to do the Blue doesnt taste too bad. Is this a ploy by Labatts to take over the Lucky market? Anyone else even notice this?

Lucky is owned by Labatt's... so I am not sure. Whats Blue cost a guy up there these days?

so the question is, do you save your coin and go for blue? or splurge and enjoy the fine taste of a Lucky?? haha

I am a Lucky man myself

I do believe thats the first time the idea of "splurging on lucky" have come together.

Blue is domestic in par with Canadian or Bud imo but is almost 3 bucks cheaper per 6 er at the Leew*rd. And a free bag of ice to boot.

As long as they are all 5% alcohol, what difference does it make? Just like Gas, I buy the cheapest. Probably because I'm a cheapskate ha ha

If you want the cheapest beer -- go to one of the U-Brew places and make your own. The quality is on par with the most expensive beers you can buy, and the cost is cheaper than all of them. It costs roughly $85 (taxes in) to brew a kit of 24L at one of the U-Brew shops. That works out to .35 cents per mL vs. about .5 cents per mL for Blue, Lucky or Bud.

This year I've made a Cervesa (Mexican beer like Corona), an American Lager and a German Munich-style dark and all 3 are better than anything you'd buy at the store and don't have all the crap and preservatives in them. Takes 5 weeks from ordering to drinking so you have to plan ahead, but each time I go now I get a few kits started so there is always a great stock in the beer fridge.

If your family motto is "I don't pay" you buy Cooper's beer kits from Save-On for $15 and make it in your home. Only additional cost is about 3 lbs. of sugar and voila 23 l. of beer. Best kits that I have found.

Bottle in swingtops and forget capping and its costs.

When you can buy a 6'er of Bowen Island Irish Cream Ale for 8 bucks and change, there's no excuse to drink swill like Lucky or Blue.

When you can buy a 6'er of Bowen Island Irish Cream Ale for 8 bucks and change, there's no excuse to drink swill like Lucky or Blue.
haha, i dont think bowen island beer is the cat's butt in comparison to Lucky... to each their own however!

I dont know about Bowen Island beer--- but I DO know that Lucky is swill!!! LOL!!! But if you are from Cumberland (The "Luckiest" town in BC) thats all you know!!! Just dont give any of that stuff to the weird guys playing banjos on the porches in town--- Doesnt take much to set them off!!!

I believe they call Lucky the "Champagne of the Comox Valley" But then again, those guys are knuckle draggers not beer aficionados.;) I tend to flip from one fav beer fad to the next. My current fad is Bud Light Lime...a girly beer but I like it....for now.

I believe they call Lucky the "Champagne of the Comox Valley" But then again, those guys are knuckle draggers not beer aficionados.;) I tend to flip from one fav beer fad to the next. My current fad is Bud Light Lime...a girly beer but I like it....for now.

My mom is diggin that too! :p

(When you can get them) Bud 8 packs at the gov store...$12.49.

The Islander is cheap down here too.... and not bad.

The Cariboo is cheaper than Luckys and would take one of those over a Luck any day

Last edited by a moderator:
Back