Commercial take a shot at Sport Fishers.

OldBlackDog

Robert Hauknes: It's a disgrace that foreigners are being given a priority to salmon over Canadians
OPINION: Foreigners are taking precedent over Canadians this year for fishing for salmon and into the foreseeable future
Robert Hauknes
Updated: July 19, 2019

salmon-fishing-closed.jpg

Chinook salmon fisheries will be severely curtailed in 2019. Jamie Lusch / AP

There are many opinions regarding salmon in B.C. on how they’re managed — or not managed. One thing that everyone can agree on, though, is they are a public resource and that Canadians should benefit from that natural resource. Unfortunately, it’s not true.

Foreigners are taking precedent over Canadians this year for fishing for salmon and into the foreseeable future. You may ask how this is possible. It’s quite simple. Foreign nationals pay industrial sport fishing lodges to take them out to harvest chinook salmon. I use the words “industrial” and “harvest” because this isn’t recreation, it’s a business. It’s an industry. The industrial lodges are in the business of making money, just like any other commercial enterprise. It is time that they were treated as such.

Fishing lodges have fleets of boats to take their clients out in — boats with all the modern technology, such as GPS, depth sounders, chart plotters and downriggers. It’s the same equipment that commercial salmon fishermen use yet without the same level of scrutiny that commercial salmon fishermen have.

B.C. commercial salmon fishermen must notify Fisheries and Oceans Canada when they go fishing. Logbooks must be filled out every day that they are fishing, noting how much fish was caught and where. When the fishing trip is over, DFO must be notified and that the boat is heading to shore to unload its catch. At the dock, an independent observer counts the fish as they come off the boat to verify that what was caught matches what was written in the logbook.

The inspectors also take DNA samples so that the caught chinook can be traced back to their rivers of origin. All this information is supplied and submitted to DFO in order to have extremely accurate information in order to manage the salmon fisheries in a sustainable manner.

Yet there is no reporting requirement for fishing lodges. DFO uses estimates to determine what has been caught. How can salmon stocks be sustainably managed when there are no accurate records of what is caught?

This year, the commercial salmon fishermen in northern B.C. are being told that they cannot fish chinooks until at least Aug. 20, or potentially later, until the runs of concern have migrated past. But it’s business as usual for fishing lodges. They even say as much on their websites.

Small coastal communities are taking the brunt of this conservation measure and associated economic loss. The lodges, however, which are self-contained and contribute little to the local economy since their clients are flown in and out of the lodge, continue to operate as if salmon stocks are not at risk. If the stocks of chinook are a concern, why are Canadians being told they cannot go out and make a living but foreigners with money can pay for priority access to the salmon?

B.C. commercial salmon fishermen provide access to a healthy and sustainable source of food for people who don’t have the means to catch it themselves. They take pride in providing high-quality, locally caught seafood. If pay-for-access to salmon continues, the next time someone orders salmon at a restaurant or buys it at a grocery store, chances are it will either be farmed salmon or salmon caught in Alaska or Russia and not caught in B.C.

Frankly, that’s a shame and a disgrace.

Robert Hauknes is a third-generation commercial fisherman born and raised in Prince Rupert.

Letters to the editor should be sent to sunletters@vancouversun.com. The editorial pages editor is Gordon Clark, who can be reached at gclark@postmedia.com.

CLICK HERE to report a typo.

Is there more to this story? We’d like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. Email vantips@postmedia.com.

I have made 4-5 trips to the Haida Gwaii lodges & agree with most of the above facts but not the conclusion; the lodges put a lot more into the economy & employ more people than commercial fishing. On all my trips Canadians were the vast majority.
When Chinook are plentiful, all the releases of the smaller one's with the related 10% - 15% Incidental Mortality means these lodges kill a lot of fish.

Robert Hauknes: It's a disgrace that foreigners are being given a priority to salmon over Canadians
OPINION: Foreigners are taking precedent over Canadians this year for fishing for salmon and into the foreseeable future

Robert Hauknes is a third-generation commercial fisherman born and raised in Prince Rupert.

Robert Hauknes is more then just third-generation commercial, he is the president of PHMA (Pacific Halibut Management Association of BC)

Something's up as these guys don't make a move like this without a strategy in mind and they don't just write an oped. They go hard as anyone who has followed these guys in the past will know. Check out this link and see what they are looking at by using the "registration versions" to see where their interests are on different dates.
https://lobbycanada.gc.ca/app/secure/ocl/lrs/do/vwRg?cno=16171&regId=891260

Have a look at the breakdown of non-res. licences. 5800 annual. Those people have summer homes in B.C. They keep boats here, buy groceries, fuel, restaurant meals, tackle etc. A lot of them stay for months. They contribute to our economy, and they are not taking jobs away from Canadians. All the other classifications, it should be noted can only retain two 1-day limits away from home. In a lot of cases, that will be only two Chinook, maybe a couple of Coho too. Most of the resident licences are B.C. or Alberta residents. Some fishers do catch a fair number of Salmon, but I bet a lot get less than ten a year.
Have a look at some of the past years of commercial catches.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...aumon/fisheries-peches/stats-donnees-eng.html

The guy I would be watching is Christopher Sporer he is a paid consultant to the commercial fishing industry. Lots of new work for Chris it would seem. Something up and many of us have seen him in action over the years with halibut, salmon and prawns. SFI better get a handle on this damn quick. He is not someone to take lightly.

https://lobbycanada.gc.ca/app/secur...969&sMdKy=1563673277426&V_TOKEN=1563673277426

The guy I would be watching is Christopher Sporer he is a paid consultant to the commercial fishing industry. Lots of new work for Chris it would seem. Something up and many of us have seen him in action over the years with halibut, salmon and prawns. SFI better get a handle on this damn quick. He is not someone to take lightly.

https://lobbycanada.gc.ca/app/secur...969&sMdKy=1563673277426&V_TOKEN=1563673277426
With everything going on in the halibut world I doubt very much Mr. Sporer has time to deal with salmon Issues. I believe the area F troll have their own representative. That being said I know Robert quite well. Presently he is up off Cape Chacon chasing the odd coho and pink as that is all the troll fleet is allowed to retain. I too think its somewhat disgusting that the trollers,whom put food on the table of canadians that cant afford a charter, are being curtailed as much as they are and the commercial side of the sports fishery(more so in the north) and FN are having a hayday on the chinook.

I thought it was bad strategy on Mr. Hauknes part. How many have argued on this forum that the Commercial Sector and the Public Sector need to work together to defend us both from the forces that are aligned against us when it comes to salmon? Instead of being mutually protective allies, the northern Trollers have attacked the Public/Sport Sector, creating enemies where there could have had allies. From what I read it was loaded with talking points and strategies that can be easily rebutted, some recycled from the Halibut Allocation War days. That did not work then and I doubt will get them increased access now but they could harm the Public Sector a little. I would not be surprised if SFI is working on a response.

It seems to me what is going on is that the Government is just repeating the strategies that worked so well with the Area G Trollers. Limit them and make them unprofitable, in order to free up, decrease and transfer that fishery to First Nations at minimal cost as part of Reconciliation, and perhaps make the Americans happy. There will be trollers providing salmon to Canadians, but I suspect the boats may be owned by First Nations. This should never have become a battle with the Public/Sport Sector.

My view is that Ottawa is just plain afraid to take on the big corporate commercial west coast fishing interests, the ones that have outside PR firms, lawyers and high end politicians on speed dial in addition to the Commercial Sectors own PR organization, but wants a Commercial Sector sacrifice to Reconciliation and the insatiable demands of the ENGO’s.

My impression is that the trollers have a higher percentage of smaller independent owner operators which translates as less power and money despite being organized. They are easily as bad off as the Public/Sport Sector which is also viewed as weak by Ottawa and often victimized in the game that is Canadian fisheries management politics. We should have been allies.

The Public/Sport Sector does not have a lot of money for political donations or lawyers, PR firms and lobbyists, nor can most of us write off those costs as business expenses, but we do have a lot of votes and that is useful, especially before a federal election.

I know about only being allowed to keep Coho and Pinks, those are exactly the rules where I live right now, although for the Coho, we can only keep marked hatchery fish. I have not even bothered yet to take the boat out of the slip, despite the many thousands of dollars this season will cost me.

Last edited:
With everything going on in the halibut world I doubt very much Mr. Sporer has time to deal with salmon Issues. I believe the area F troll have their own representative. That being said I know Robert quite well. Presently he is up off Cape Chacon chasing the odd coho and pink as that is all the troll fleet is allowed to retain. I too think its somewhat disgusting that the trollers,whom put food on the table of canadians that cant afford a charter, are being curtailed as much as they are and the commercial side of the sports fishery(more so in the north) and FN are having a hayday on the chinook.
Well then we can just agree to disagree, it won't be the first time.

No exaggeration

I was talking to the local commercial tuna fisherman selling at out market awhile ago. We were discussing the state of the fishery and how DFO has fail us all and the resource. I mentioned Sport and Commercial folks need to join together to lobby/leverage DFO and present government to make the right decisions. Seriously, he turned his back to me and said that will never happen conversation over. What a shame both groups can see eye to eye and join forces.

Mr. Hawknes complains that things are wide open for the recreational fishery while the commercial fishery is closed. Sometimes, the tables get turned. Last year, the northern recreational fishery in some areas was closed to retention of Chinook, while the commercial fleet caught over 70,000 Chinook, not to mention 177,000 Coho, wild and hatchery, while the south coast was restricted to precautionary regulations allowing hatchery only. So the dice don't always roll in your favour, and nobody seems to be able to predict WTF DFO is going to do next. Unfortunately, I don't think there will be an alliance between recreational and commercial fisherman any time soon, as the commercial sector feels that a common property resource, belonging to all the citizens of Canada, should be entirely allocated to their sector.

Back