Commercial fishing Alberni Canal..why the entire Canal?

Islandgirl

I have just spent 3 days on the water in Port Alberni. Sat and Sunday were epic days lots of fish.
Then DFO opened the Entire Canal to Seines on Sunday afternoon until they get 105 000 fish or until tues 12pm

We went out today.. It was pathetic!

My question to DFO, and I know you read this board is WHY the entire canal?

Why not just open for seines from dunsmere in?
That could be open ALL week and Port Alberni would still prosper from the recreational sector coming to town and buying gas, tackle, food, camping, tackle, etc etc.. The people that don't fish can still buy it at save on.

I want someone from DFO would respond to this, I know they read this board!

so you would rather open the seins up earlier in the mouth or wait until the spawning numbers are reached then have them come in and clean up?

they were at the mouth 2 weeks ago trying to catch the same fish, came out of bamfield one monrning and had to do the duck n weave to get across to sanford

so you would rather open the seins up earlier in the mouth or wait until the spawning numbers are reached then have them come in and clean up?

Dfo has decided at this time there is enough fish to open sienes.. I dont agree until spawning numbers have been reached but we know the Dino.

The problem is why open the entire canal and ruin the sporties fishing? It could be opened at dunsmere to the quay ONLY for sienes and a sporty can go out and catch fish with a reasonable expectation.

In this opening they were allowed 105 000 pieces, they do not need the entire canal to do this.

My question is WHY ruin the sports fishermans day, and seine the entire area that sporties fish?

Maybe you have not fished PA and are not familiar with the area?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dfo has decided at this time there is enough fish to open sienes.. I dont agree until spawning numbers have been reached but we know the Dino.

The problem is why open the entire canal and ruin the sporties fishing? It could be opened at dunsmere to the quay ONLY for sienes and a sporty can go out and catch fish with a reasonable expectation.

In this opening they were allowed 105 000 pieces, they do not need the entire canal to do this.

My question is WHY ruin the sports fishermans day, and seine the entire area that sporties fish?

Maybe you have not fished PA and are not familiar with the area?

i am a little surprised they are opening on a sunday. usually the fleet is kept back on weekends so the rec sector can have the area. i would think there is a fairly large surplus in order for the seins to go early. then again this is dfo we are talking about.

i am a little surprised they are opening on a sunday. usually the fleet is kept back on weekends so the rec sector can have the area. i would think there is a fairly large surplus in order for the seins to go early. then again this is dfo we are talking about.

yes..the following if from Bob Cole July 02 sent to DFO too.

"Hello Bill,
The problem with the Dalai Lama’s statement is that it doesn’t hold true when the dialogue is just words.
A reliable source of mine told me Thursday, before our meeting, that they were to meet a particular seine boat anchored at China Creek Sunday evening if they wanted some Sockeye.
Obviously, as last week, the fishing times and locations had been pre-determined and our meetings are basically window dressing.
The same thing happened the week before where a notice of time and boundaries was issued by DFO before our meeting that was to discuss and define such times and boundaries.
Secondly, at this point last year there weren’t more than ten seine boats fishing and they were restricted to certain areas that allowed a reasonable area for the sport fleet to operate in. The seiners still caught their allocation over the season and a reasonable recreational fishery co-existed. It is obvious that the intention is to decimate the rec effort and the local economy.
When we asked for some consideration last week, we were told they would be in and out, no problem. When we asked for such an area and a Monday start because of the long weekend, we were ignored and were told by someone on the phone from one of the many processors that have somehow joined our committee (maybe we should have all the motels, hotels, restaurants and tackle shops in town join the conversation) that “we don’t recognize American holidays”. Well Sunday is still part of our long weekend and the 800 recreational boats fishing in the inlet and many of the hundreds fishing Barkley Sound are still likely to be fishing or travelling through on Sunday afternoon and even Monday morning. Compromise is a two way street and we are seeing only one direction from the seine sector.
To top this lunacy off, Diana Dobson’s and your option 1 and 3 don’t make basic arithmetic sense. To “catch up” and allocate more fish than are in the inlet and Barkley Sound according to your own test boat, even if you include ten to fifteen thousand recruitment a day, plans to take all of the fish. Do the math! That leaves few for escapement, few for First Nations and basically none for the sport fleet.
Undoubtedly, the local economy and the real taxpayers don’t factor into the process at all.
Therefore, and after discussion with my colleagues, I will not be participating any further in this sham process regarding Sockeye.
Best of luck,
Bob Cole"

And from Bob Cole July 05, it was send to DFO too
"Hello Chris,
Well my worst fears as to the results of having the seine area open all the way from Pocahontas to Polly’s has come to pass.
The seines are still here and the recreational fleet has caught diddly squat this morning.
Most of the tourists will be or already are packing up and going elsewhere.
A fleet of ten or so seiners could have fished as hard and as long as they wanted inside Dunsmuir Point and caught all the fish as they pass by without impacting the recreational fleet.
DFO is systematically ruining our fragile tourism economy.
Bob "

did the rec sector hit it's allocation with that much effort out there? 800 boats must be a bit of a zoo.

As of June 29, DFO estimated the recreational catch at 22,000 sockeye, with 18,662 ocean-caught and 3,350 at Papermill Dam. Those numbers are expected to climb rapidly as the run reaches its peak over the next few weeks, although some sport fishers reported the catch declined somewhat with all the new net activity. The recreational catch limit is four fish per day in Alberni Inlet and two per day at Papermill Dam.

With a run size of 1.05-million fish, the escapement goal has been set at 443,000, leaving 562,000 fish available for harvest by all sectors.

Through June 29, total sockeye escapement was estimated at 220,700 adults, with 122,500 to Sproat Lake and 98,200 to Great Central Lake.

Source from above:
http://www2.canada.com/albernivalleytimes/news/story.html?id=76f82f04-fd4f-42d4-9790-84e21e4bdd06

22,000 rec compared to 105,000 by seiners alone this week.

We have to re-examine the position of the DFO. There is no Sportsfishing in the DFO period. This has been proven on the east coast.
The DFO is for First Nations and commercial (big wigs not the little guy) the sporties are just a cash cow for the extra bucks needed to make life hard for us. All interests that sell, provide,or in anyway make a living off the sporties should form a lobby to get some major ear time and firmly establish our share of the bio-mass. The route it is going now we will have to buy all our fish from the Pattisons and such.

We have to re-examine the position of the DFO. There is no Sportsfishing in the DFO period. This has been proven on the east coast.
The DFO is for First Nations and commercial (big wigs not the little guy) the sporties are just a cash cow for the extra bucks needed to make life hard for us. All interests that sell, provide,or in anyway make a living off the sporties should form a lobby to get some major ear time and firmly establish our share of the bio-mass. The route it is going now we will have to buy all our fish from the Pattisons and such.

Well said Gunsmith..
That is proven time and time again with DFO.
Every year they seine over the port derby chinook 3 or 4 days before the derby..Now the sockeye before this town's important sport fishing tourist season.
I am going to phone their office this aft and give them a piece of my mind

250 724 4440

(they are closed for lunch)

I suggest everyone give them a call.

I just got off the phone with Paul from port alberni's DFO office.. I was on the phone for an hour.
I would say just don't call him stupid if you call, he has had way too many of those phone calls.

Long story short.
I told him myself and friends ( from Victoria and abbottsford) will be packing up and heading out of here on sunday if they ruin the sport fishery again next week, and we were going to be in this town until July 17 I know other people that are now not coming.

I said I felt us sporties could live with the commercials operating from dunsmere in to town, at least we would have an area to fish, with a reasonable expectation of catching.

I will right more later cause I want to enjoy the rest of this nice day, and my blood is boiling about this whole mess.

During my conversation with Paul, I was told since the run was upgraded the commericals get to catch more fish so now they are doing a 'catch up fishery' to get their quota ( part of what has already swam up the river).
They felt than going in and out FAST would have less impact on the rec sector rather than a few sienes being there for 2 weeks, they sent 20 to clean up in a few days.. I said yes.. they did clean the canal of fish.

He also suggested having 3 days a week for the commercials with no rec fishing allowed and then opening to rec for the rest of the week. I suggested that would not work since after the commercials there is NO FISH to catch! I guess they needed to be told that one!

After my conversation with them I called Jake who is sitting in for Bob cole on the round table meetings, It is more like a unilateral triangle with the skinny end given to the recreational sector.
There is another meeting this thursday.

Jake and Bob Cole told them at the last meeting that seining the entire canal will not work, AND has never been done.
Bill Shaw SFAB ( Ph 250-756-7152 who is supposed to be representing us) was actaully pushing to seine the entire canal.

I just called Bill Shaw. I was told comm. is allocated 95% on the soxs and they must get their fish. I said it is not an inconvenience for 2 days with sienes but wipes it our for 3-4 days after. I suggested again commercial open from dunsmere to town...Leave the rest of the canal to the sporties.

Make your phone calls, there is a meeting on thursday.

If the DFO was hired to manage the Sahara desert they would be out of sand in 10yrs.

Anyone make any calls?

fished today 2 jack soxs and 2 sox fished fromfirst light to 12.30 pm
We will be leaving here on sunday IF DFO opens the entire canal to seining on sunday and monday!
No point in going for a boat ride every day. I mentioned this to the place we are staying at and they were going to make some phone calls today

Last sat and sun, PRIOR TO SEINING the entire canal .. We were pulling the gear with full limits of 12 before 8 am

Back