Commercial fisherman blocking Sportsfisherman at the ramp

The only shakiness is on this forum. The rec sector is in full force IMHO Province wide. The internet aint everything. Just sayin'

And only a couple of voices that are causing this shakiness, divided we fall and all that sh*t...

It's kind of funny. Sport fishermen didn't drop concrete blocks in front of the Govt wharf when we were given 88/12 while holding our ankles. It's nice to see someone so passionateon the news about "giving something to the rec sector". Kind of like those pawn shops "giving something back" that was taken without permission eh?

Don't take the bait! These guys want to intentionally rile up the sport sector until someone does something stupid. Then they will go to the media in order to get public sympathy for the commercial sector. This is the oldest trick in the book , don't fall for it. The rec sector is slowly winning this battle it may take 10 or even 20 years , but the public is starting to see that 400 slipper skippers should not be getting rich off the backs of a supposedly shared resource.

beemer

I wnt down and had a look at the blocks at cattle point. For those who haven't seen them, they used 3 large rectangular blocks about 3X2X2, the kind they use to build heavy retaining walls. The cable loops on top for lifting them were cut so they can't be lifted.

Spray paint on one says " sports refuse to conserve with commercials"

The fun part of advertising is you don't need to tell the truth.

I think I'll drop by later and spray over that message.

So, lies and distortions and the use of sleaze ball lobbyists to influence government and the press are not enough in their efforts to maintain their millions in gifted ownership of the fish that rightly belong to all Canadians.

What greed and sense of entitlement. Now they have declared war on the citizens of Canada with this cowardly late night vandalism of a public park and the tax payers who will pay to clean it up.

Others are correct; we should not stoop to the level of these criminals, but rather can use this attack to reenergize ourselves, wake up and get on with the battle using legitimate political protest. Never give in to these bullies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't take the bait! These guys want to intentionally rile up the sport sector until someone does something stupid. Then they will go to the media in order to get public sympathy for the commercial sector. This is the oldest trick in the book , don't fall for it. The rec sector is slowly winning this battle it may take 10 or even 20 years , but the public is starting to see that 400 slipper skippers should not be getting rich off the backs of a supposedly shared resource.

beemer

X2 of this post...we are slowing winning this battle.. one door at a time .... Pretty sure this kind of stuff that we saw thursday night will not be the last either.... ;)

X3

A childish, stupid act of vandalism. Must make their Mommys proud to see their kids acting like spoiled brats who don't get their way. Boohoohoo. :(

Many of us sport fishermen and women forget the professional commercial fishery represents 33 million people.
the majority of Canadians do not want to go in a boat and catch a fish to eat.
They want to go to a market and buy it.
The sports lobby will never get anywhere with the bully attitude it has now.
I know and you know and the DFO knows that we are not accountable . We have to change and show accountablity , it is not like the old buffalo hunts where the old hunters thought they had a right to slaughter as many buffalo as they like.
Maybe it has to to be a lottery or draw for halibut tags or ????? but hate on for commercial fishermen and red neck attitudes will only hurt the cause. Come up with a accountable sustainable solution.

Many of us sport fishermen and women forget the professional commercial fishery represents 33 million people.
I know and you know and the DFO knows that we are not accountable . We have to change and show accountablity , it is not like the old buffalo hunts where the old hunters thought they had a right to slaughter as many buffalo as they like.
Maybe it has to to be a lottery or draw for halibut tags or ????? but hate on for commercial fishermen and red neck attitudes will only hurt the cause. Come up with a accountable sustainable solution.

Think a little bit before you open your mouth there capt hook, 75 or 80% is EXPORTED ie: it leaves Canada only for the financial benefit of 400 some people

You are obviously one of those 400 and some to come out and say something like that. Right?

Here's what I don't get...

Why are the commercial halibut fishermen that don't own much quota and are leasing it from slipper skippers supporting these quota owners?
Does it not make sense that if they joined our fight for fish it or give it back they would benefit?
They could then apply with proof that they are fishing and require quota and may get it for free could they not.
If all the non fishing quota owners gave back their quota there should be enough to spread between the remaining commercial "fisherman" and increase our rec quota.
If I was a commercial fisherman trying to make a living and had to pay a slipper skipper for quota knowing that they got it for free and are keeping me from it, I would be pissed!
Am I wrong?

Tips

I am sorry capn hook but I have met and known a few of those that were and still are in that boat. But now the demographics have changed, a larger portion of this hidden group is now big shots like Jimmy Pattison who ONLY thought is making money. Conservation does not exist in their minds it is just get it all and move on. You should be positioning yourself with us to get your mom and pop fishery back.

We are plenty accountable. When we reach our quota we are off the water... The big issue here is gifting a public resource... Where was my chance to get some of this free quota going around? The pie chart posted by fish4all shows the bulk of halibut is exported.... So how exactly does gifting 85% of a resource to 400 slipper skippers help every Canadian get access to this resource at $22 per kg at the supermarket? Why is there not a lottery for the whole resource? Take it back, and let those that want it lease it from the people of of Canada? Oh, I forgot, 400 guys won the private lottery in 2003... We have independent creel surveyors at the dock, and our catching power is nothing compared to the modern commercial fleet..

And who is the bully? Every SFAB meeting has someone from the commercial sector there, could a few rec guys sit in beside the commercials and "help conserve" as they put it? I bet not..... We did not go dump blocks in front of the commercial fleet on their opening weekend, because 85/15 is a sign of more to come...

captain whatever, now is the time to ensure the cogs of your lobby machine are well greased, because the theft of a Canadian resource ie coming to light...

Actually the old buffalo hunters did have a right to slaughter as many buffalo as they liked.

They were in fact paid to slaughter buffalo by the government with the government's blessing. much like they did with Coyotes as well.

I suppose if commercials were fishing herring for use in Canada ....how come there's never any for sale in our "Canadian " stores? ( Because it's " screw Canada"...we could get better money in Japan....regardless of whether the Canadians would like some or not).

Gooeyduck clams......when was the last time you bought any of these in a 'Canadian' store? You 'll have to go elsewhere to buy one most likely.

The commercials have absolutely no fillial loyalty to Canadians to provide a food source. They will go where they can get the highest buck if they can.

I have an idea. Any time one side of this conflict does something illegal, that side loses 1 %.
Seriously, what did those 400 slipper skippers do to get that quota?And just as good a question, who gave it to them? And further, why ?

Did someone ask for pie?
Here you go there capt crook
Explain to us how you are looking after the interests of 33 million Canadians.
2012HalibutAllocation.jpg

I'm waiting for your answer as you must know it all.
GLG

Back