Commander 26,30,re-power older boat,newer,diesel....

Lol right you guys love spending others $$haha

Paul, I like spending my own as well, we Do NOT discriminate here :)

We are all in this together and together we will stand strong!

Hey Paul.
The guy you should talk to is Morley Munro at Canmar Yachts. He is the Commander guru and has been involved with them for 25+ years at the factory level too.
http://www.canmaryachts.com
here are his listings: https://www.yachtworld.com/core/lis...sturl=canmar&page=broker&slim=broker&lineonly

The Volvo diesels although expensive to maintain are very well made and good for 8,000 to 10,000 hours no problem. Great fuel economy too.
Parking with the twins is easy and many have bow thrusters.
Good luck!
Morly actually figured 4000-5000 hrs on the motors

has anyone delt with the KAD 43 engines? and if so is there any important maintenance requirements like internal sacrificial zinks as mentioned by Ericl.

The OP's boat is very similar to mine, which had twin 6 cyl Volvo's. I went thru most of the options you mentioned, but they were way too large/heavy for the size/type of boat we are talking about. Yes, they don't need the raw water cooling cuz their output of HP/per liter of displacement is low. The Volvo 41 series was considered a great purpose-built marine diesel in it's day which was around 30+ years ago. Given that my boat originally had 800 pound or so Chev's, I was reluctant to go with anything heavier than the 41 Volvo's (1200 pound or so).
Paul, I looked at the Commanders for sale. All with diesels look to be the original Volvo 41 series put-in at date of mfgr, which on some is around 40 years ago. If you go this route, be sure to look closely at main records to make sure that all the internal sacrificial zinc's (especially the intercooler) were changed per schedule. The intercooler housing is aluminum and after 30-40 years I would be highly suspect at it's integrity. Also realize that parts for these are rare at best & you may end-up waiting a very long time for parts. It would be best to have a serious discussion with local main. business regarding how easy it would be to get service. (you are in Kitimat?)

As an FYI current Volvo Penta Diesels are D3 (5 cylinder car engine), D4 (4 cylinder marine engine), and D6 (6 cylinder marine engine). There are others, but they are much larger than those we would use in a 30-something foot boat.

I ended-up going with twin 300hp E-techs because I got a great deal, I have used the dealer in the past & like them, and the diesel dealers in my area are all less than customer oriented.
I figure that changing plugs every five years is low maintenance, & that I have a much better chance of sharing fuel costs than maint costs with passengers.
Ericl do you know if there are internal zincs in the 43 series motors that are supposed to be serviced also or any other non typical service requirement?

Met these folks on the weekend in Ganges. Super nice people and they have done an amazing job on their Commander 26.
Its a 1977, 10th 26 built, and they completely gutted and rebuilt it. Took out the mercury stern drives and podded it with 2 x 225HP Mercs.
Was surprised when he said top speed was 38 mph. Thought it would be more with that much horsepower but they are heavy boats.
He said the surveyor would not believe it was a 1977 hull and said it cant be that old but they confirmed with Morley.
Looks like a new boat.

IMG_0682 (Large).jpg

Met these folks on the weekend in Ganges. Super nice people and they have done an amazing job on their Commander 26.
Its a 1977, 10th 26 built, and they completely gutted and rebuilt it. Took out the mercury stern drives and podded it with 2 x 225HP Mercs.
Was surprised when he said top speed was 38 mph. Thought it would be more with that much horsepower but they are heavy boats.
He said the surveyor would not believe it was a 1977 hull and said it cant be that old but they confirmed with Morley.
Looks like a new boat.

View attachment 55486
I'm sure it's clean and well done but there is so much on that boat that is just all wrong esthetically. Awesome if it works for them as it's really only their opinion that matters I guess.

Buzz your tower, woof!

Looks like a new boat.

View attachment 55486
pretty sweet set up, I would have thought it would have topped out a little quicker myself

Looks like a new boat.

View attachment 55486

You boys are just jealous. Imagine climbing that bad boy while hunting for tuna! Keep on pumping the re-powers of the commanders, convert those gas inboards to fly by wire triple stations so I can buy a 30 footer in 10-20 years.

So I bought by first boat a couple years ago Double eagle 22’ and now I’m wanting to get something bigger and I’m down to a Commander, I’m really liking the rear kitchen layout on the 30’ but I’m also a little apprehensive on parking a boat that size and re-powering $$ if it was needed etc... there are a couple low hr diesel 26’ but there around 80k as well as some 30’ diesels in the 60k range or less for gas models but the diesels are lower powered models twin 200hp at best any advise or links to any upcoming boats for sale would be appreciated!!!
Thinking that I might try low balling a couple 26’, judging from around my area I don’t see the demographics of boat buyers getting any bigger, seems like it would be shrinking, thoughts on the boat market of today????
I've got a 30' podded with a pair of 350 Verados bolted on to it. We are in a marina with 3 other standard 30' units, turns out the Mercs burn about 30 liters an hour less than the inboards. Amazing boats

Attachments

• 20220831_103833.jpg
    20220831_103833.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20220826_195851.jpg
    IMG_20220826_195851.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 114
I've got a 30' podded with a pair of 350 Verados bolted on to it. We are in a marina with 3 other standard 30' units, turns out the Mercs burn about 30 liters an hour less than the inboards. Amazing boats
Somebody bought it! Crazy, I thought it would never sell. Can I ask what you ended up picking it up for? Did you get it surveyed? I'd love to hear more about it's performance!

Somebody bought it! Crazy, I thought it would never sell. Can I ask what you ended up picking it up for? Did you get it surveyed? I'd love to hear more about it's performance!
Yeah, surveyed great. Got a good deal on it. I am continually blown away at how nice it rides and handles, everything was redone, electro is, wiring, plumbing, extended warranty on the engines, it's a real nice unit. Fuel burn is the same or less than my old Bayleaner. And of course an excess of power when needed. It cruises nicely at about 26 knots, and can get up to (not sure why you would) 45 knots if your looking to be completely wreckless. All in all it's a dream machine.

Yeah, surveyed great. Got a good deal on it. I am continually blown away at how nice it rides and handles, everything was redone, electro is, wiring, plumbing, extended warranty on the engines, it's a real nice unit. Fuel burn is the same or less than my old Bayleaner. And of course an excess of power when needed. It cruises nicely at about 26 knots, and can get up to (not sure why you would) 45 knots if your looking to be completely wreckless. All in all it's a dream machine.
Awesome I'm glad to hear. Do you know your actual fuel burn numbers in MPG or GPH?

Great buy! I thought it was a steel w dual engines under warranty and a trailer. What marina are you in?

Back