Columbia River Spring forcast

Looking forward to a great year ahead...Thanks to our neighbours to the south ...hopefully I will get to play a number of these fish and others with my son at Queen Charlotte Lodge on father's day weekend this year ... counting the days till then :)

Yes these USA bound salmon will hit in good # in early June for WCVI. They come off Brooks Peninsula heading into the feeding grounds off Kyuquot, Esperanza & Nootka. Then move south following the 50 fathom line (THE HIGHWAY).
With a runs this large from river from Washington to California we may very well see these fish enhancing our catches to well into late July when our WCVI local stocks arrive.
On Vancouver Island Hatcheries- can only speak to the Conuma hatchery- Yes federal funding is seriously down from the late 1990's But thank to supplement funding from Nootka Sound Watershed Society, Tahsis Salmon enhancement Fishing Derby & others the hatchery put out approx. 1.3 mil. Chinook fry & 600k of Coho. Last year the Chinook return was well over 65,000 & this year is Projected by DFO to be higher. The Hatchery crew is doing a GREAT job within the resources they have. This yrs. Salmon Catching will the best we've seen in years.

These are the fall run they are talking about in this article John. So they'll be coming through in end of june, july, and Aug WCVI I think no? The Spring/Summer forecast is also one of the largest runs in recent history as well! So whole season should be great.

I am hearing a lot of love on this thread. Now, if everyone would institute a "buy a Yank a drink" policy for when I am up there in July and August it would make me very happy!LOL
Tight lines to all!

I am hearing a lot of love on this thread. Now, if everyone would institute a "buy a Yank a drink" policy for when I am up there in July and August it would make me very happy!LOL
Tight lines to all!

Where are you going to be - you might get some takers!

Anyone out there know if the off-shore coho fishery for wilds will open up this year off the WCVI? Last year off Nootka/Bajo you couldn't keep them off your lines even when we set up to avoid them. There was talk last summer that they may open it up for wild coho in 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s too bad. The mortality rate is likely high on those fish we release. They feed very aggressively up there. I'd heard from a reasonable informed source that they were looking at an opening given the fact the Coho population had showed multiple years of solid returns.

we have been trying for the last couple years... not to say it won't happen as the door has never completely closed...

This issue was raised through SFAB process last year, and again I believe this year by some of the SFAC groups. We also raised it with DFO last year in WCFGA meeting. The main issue then and I suspect again this year is while the abundance of Interior Fraser Coho has been on the increase, there are still concerns that interception rates will push recreational catch up beyond the max target of 3 percent. They use the coded wire tag data to extrapolate the impact of expanding the areas we want opened to retention of wild coho. I'm not completely convinced I concur with how this data is being used, but it is what it is for now. Hopefully with the higher abundance there will be enough coho to allow expansion of the open areas.

Last year we asked to at least expand this to the surf line, and got no where....so getting off shore is a long shot IMO

One other hitch, that is coho are currently closed off shore for commercial troll, and if DFO opens this area for rec fleet then that opens door for troll fleet. I suspect there ain't enough room for both. So you know what's going to happen there!

Back