Colquitz Coho

chris73

Just checked at the fence and saw a few coho and what could have been many jack coho or nice cutties. Water was too murky to see what those little fish were. Anyway, nice to see some life in this river!

That creek has returns every year upwards of 300 of good size coho ,and lots of jacks which is a healthy stream!

Was mentioning to Chris Bos the other day about the abundance of fingerlings jumping in the lower estuary over the last week or so. We lived on the banks of the Colquitz for 29 yrs now and we are seldom treated to seening these little guys (2 to 3-inchers) in such abundance jumping for insects all over the place. Not certain if they are juv'ey Coho or Cutties; both spawn in this watershed.

Good to see, regardless.

I posted this in another thread thinking it was colquitz...more fitting here...

I stopped off at the fence on my way home from work yesterday and was pleased to see about half a dozen coho in the cage. There was no sign of seals or otters.

I had never done a walk of the full creek before(above the fish weir) so I did the other week to see just what state it was in for the salmon. It was a bit of a mixed finding. Although there are stretches of the creek that look amazing and healthy, there were also sections with so much crap in them that theres no way a fish could get past. There was one section that bottlenecks that had a full couch blocking the regular flow. I hauled the couch out as best that I could by myself. It was pretty damn heavy all waterlogged. When I went back yesterday, the couch was completely gone, so that is great that someone took it away. That must have been a mission.

Anyways, below are some of the images from my walk....you can see the good and bad. Note the beaver marks on the tree UNDER the overpass!!

I plan to join the Friends of Swan Creek, where these fish would like to spawn in huge numbers if we help them out. There is a meeting for the project on Oct 23 at George Pearkes Centre, Owen Room 7-9pm.

More pics coming up...

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 68
It never fails to amaze me how thoughtless people can be when it comes to throwing **** in the river. Shopping carts are among the worst. Another, especially in the lower estuary where dog-walkers frequent, is plastic ****-bags. They end up in the river and even hanging from trees like some gross ornament.

Social attitudes towards fish-bearing streams has to change in order for this situation to improve for our fish. When politicians don't care, why should we?

Another, especially in the lower estuary where dog-walkers frequent, is plastic ****-bags. They end up in the river and even hanging from trees like some gross ornament.

I never understood this practice, just leave it where it lies
and rain will wash it away.
inside a plastic bag it will last forever... :eek:
sorry for the strange hi-jack

I went to the meeting for the 'Friends of Swan Lake Watershed' and it was super informative. I had no idea how many wateresheds on Southern VI actually have supported salmon runs in the past and its rad to see them coming back with lots of help. I was also very stoked to hear that coho spawn about 3 blocks from my house! They go all the way up through Swan Creek, through Swan Lake and up into Blenkinsop Creek.

They figure with some effort in the watershed that it could support at least another 700 spawning coho in the Swan Lake Watershed alone.

Awesome stuff.

Hey,

For anyone interested: the Friend of Swan Lake Watershed is meeting tonight.

Details:

From Ian Bruce:

Tuesday, Nov. 6th, 7pm (to go no later than 9 pm) at the same place : Owen Room at George Pearkes. I will develop a basic Agenda but this next meeting is a chance for you to share your stories, tell us what you would like to see happen in the watershed, and to structure a stewardship group. I will bring a copy of my PowerPoint presentation if you want to transfer it onto a flash drive or CD or DVD. In the meantime, if you get a chance to walk the creek and see adult coho in the Swan Creek watershed, please drop me a note as to where/when, etc.

Andrew P,

You should put a post about the Swan Creek meeting in SFBC "Important Meetings, Derbys and SFBC Get Togethers"

Gov

Back