Coho or Chinook??

Unless I see the rod bend over hard there is no panic. Both Chinook and larger Coho hit hard. Chinook usually take longer runs and stay down in the water, not 100% of the time but a good general rule. Coho usually surface right away, if bigger a bit of run then they are done. Coho usually fight more as they get to the boat about 10 ft way. 1st thing I look for is the coho will usually come to the boat smiling like the Joker with White Gums, I then try to look for the adipose fin. If has it don't really care if I lose it. Once gets closer to boat, definitely looking for adipose. If no adipose, great hatchery fish. Then its coming in the boat. Once in boat quick check on tail, if square and no indent then coho. BANG!. Sometimes they will have spots on the upper portion of the tail, but usually white gums and square tail and bright silver. I can usually tell how they hit the line and how they play whether its a Coho or Chinook. I would say 98% of the time. Yes there is some hybrids out there and yes they are hard to tell. If you can't tell just let them go.

Chinook and Coho salmon hybrids linked to habitat and climatic changes on Vancouver Island, British Columbia - H. Andres Araujo, William D. P. Duguid, Ruth Withler, Janine Supernault, Angela D. Schulze, Jessica L. Mckenzie, Kevin Pellett, Terry D. Beacham, Kim Jonsen, Anna Gummer

Abstract

"Between 2013 and 2019, 63 presumed Chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha sampled primarily in the Strait of Georgia (0.63% of total sample) were identified as potential Chinook–Coho (Oncorhynchus kisutch) hybrids by the presence of anomalous microsatellite genotypes. Their hybrid origin was confirmed by single nucleotide polymorphism amplification of two species-specific amplicons. Mitochondrial DNA indicated that most of these fish resulted from the hybridization of Coho salmon females and Chinook salmon males. Although no diagnostic external features were identified, several individuals displayed an abnormal scale arrangement on the caudal peduncle. One hybrid juvenile examined for meristics exhibited a pyloric caeca count intermediate between published values for Chinook and Coho salmon. Most hybrids originated in the Cowichan River during the 2014 brood year. Their prevalence in the watershed is a naturally occurring event, likely exacerbated by prolonged low water levels which limit habitat and delay Chinook salmon spawning, in addition to the differential abundance of the parental species. This research is the first to document ongoing natural hybridization (Chinook–Coho salmon crosses) and link it to habitat and climatic changes, and includes the identification of eight F1 adults and two juvenile backcross or F2 hybrids. The potential negative impacts of hybridization, particularly in Coho salmon through potential introgression, warrant hybrid identification as an ecosystem monitoring tool within a survey program."

We have a published paper saying they are real, which is pretty solid evidence. I was going to mention that I know Trout hybrids such as Cutbows (rainbow/cutthroat) definitely exist and pacific salmon are closely related so it stands to reason if they were spawning in the same areas it would be possible.
I think its interesting, I don't think I have seen any.

We have a published paper saying they are real, which is pretty solid evidence. I was going to mention that I know Trout hybrids such as Cutbows (rainbow/cutthroat) definitely exist and pacific salmon are closely related so it stands to reason if they were spawning in the same areas it would be possible.
I think its interesting, I don't think I have seen any.
Do you have a link to this paper that you could share? Thanks!

Caught a fish a few years ago in Barkley Sound. Bonked it and counted it as one of our Chinook.
After we got back to the ramp and started cleaning I looked at it more carefully and I wasn't convinced. It kinda looked like a pink, with big oval shaped spots, but it was about 9 lbs as I remember and had a lower jaw more like a Chinook. I've heard there are 'Pinooks' and maybe this was one of them.
Should have taken a photo I guess. Tasted good anyway.

Caught a fish a few years ago in Barkley Sound. Bonked it and counted it as one of our Chinook.
After we got back to the ramp and started cleaning I looked at it more carefully and I wasn't convinced. It kinda looked like a pink, with big oval shaped spots, but it was about 9 lbs as I remember and had a lower jaw more like a Chinook. I've heard there are 'Pinooks' and maybe this was one of them.
If it tasted good it wasn’t a pink lol

Sounds like one I put back this year because it was over 80 and I wasn't convinced it was a pink. I knew it wasn't a coho, but it was too big to be a pink I thought. :confused:

I caught a monster Pink one year with some impossible weight like 8 or 9 pounds and someone said it could possibly be 3yo fish.

I caught a monster Pink one year with some impossible weight like 8 or 9 pounds and someone said it could possibly be 3yo fish.
Googled up a 31" fish. Who knows?

I caught a fish at t10 last week with Grey gums and a head that looked more coho and the tail had about 4 spots on the top tip of the tail and 4 spots on the bottom tip of the tail. About 10 lbs.

It seemed half coho and half chinook…released it after taking off one fillet.

Back