Coho in The Gorge

Use to live right on the Gorge and when looking out my windows was able to watch the Coho jumping in the Gorge. Anglers also use to fish under the Blue Bridge area for sea run trout but that was years ago.

Don’t think I would want to fish Coho in the Gorge as in my view those runs are not that strong and they get hit rather hard by our huge over-population of seals.

If you want Coho, use a boat in the ocean as there are lots and very easy to catch.
If you don’t have a boat use a large spinning rod or bait caster set up and a buzz bomb fished from shore off Otter Point, the Sooke River Mouth Sand Spit or Ten Mile Point. Some use to get them from shore in Ross Bay in the old days or off the Breakwater. The largest Ho I caught off of Ten Mile Point from shore was 15 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been seeing them on my lunch breaks. Some resting in some rather accessible, odd places. Those runs aren't very strong and the creeks they are heading for (colquitz, craigflower) aren't even running right now. Hopefully anyone that gets one lets it go.

Back