Enroll in the Small Vessel Compliance Program?

Here is the email I got:

Hello,

Transport Canada Marine Safety and Security Small Vessels group is conducting outreach for small commercial operators under 15 gross tonnage which include Charters, Passenger , Work boats, Tugs and Fishing Vessels.

To own or operate a small commercial vessel, you must meet various safety and environmental requirements set out in the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 and its related regulations and standards.

The Small Vessel Compliance Program (SVCP) is a voluntary program that will help you operate a small non-pleasure craft, small vessel or tug safely and legally. As a vessel owner or operator, Canadian law makes you responsible for knowing, controlling and managing the risks related to your vessel. Once a Marine Safety Inspector completes a technical review, you will receive a blue, orange or green decal to display on your vessel and a letter of participation. This decal and letter will show that your vessel is enrolled in the program.

The Small Vessel Compliance Program (SVCP) gives owners an easy-to-use tool that brings together all requirements for small non-pleasure vessels, and provides help notes;

It helps owners or operators meet requirements such as:

• ensuring that the vessel, its machinery and equipment comply with regulations
  • developing procedures for safe operation and for emergencies
  • ensuring that crew and passengers receive safety training

Sounds like spam scam. How can you have these words together in a sentence?

Screenshot_20240126_203633_Gallery.jpg

Following, I havnt received an email
Is your boat registered as a commercial vessel with a "C" number? If not I doubt TC would be sending anything to you. If you are a commercial operator SVOP is a very good idea along with the rest of the training requirements such as Marine First Aid, MED A3 Marine Emergency Duties, Marine Radio Operators certificate etc.

Is your boat registered as a commercial vessel with a "C" number? If not I doubt TC would be sending anything to you. If you are a commercial operator SVOP is a very good idea along with the rest of the training requirements such as Marine First Aid, MED A3 Marine Emergency Duties, Marine Radio Operators certificate etc.
Yes I’m commercial and have all my tickets I run a charter out of Rupert.

Yes I’m commercial and have all my tickets I run a charter out of Rupert.
Then, I guess TC wouldn't have any reason to send you (or I) a notice. Likely only going out to those who have vessels registered as commercial but don't have a TC training file on the owner.

Its been around for a long time. I've only ever known it as the "Blue Decal Program". I put a former boat through it after the "Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association" was pushing it for their members... Currently putting our fire/rescue boat through it at work. Pretty much a long checklist of commercial vessel "requirements". It is voluntary... far from free if you have someone conduct the inspection. There is stability tests involved as well. Lots of info online about it... a TC initiative.

Upon completion you get a big ugly blue sticker to go with your C numbers and show the world your compliant 😬

Attachments

• IMG_6937.jpeg
    IMG_6937.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 28
Its been around for a long time. I've only ever known it as the "Blue Decal Program". I put a former boat through it after the "Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association" was pushing it for their members... Currently putting our fire/rescue boat through it at work. Pretty much a long checklist of commercial vessel "requirements". It is voluntary... far from free if you have someone conduct the inspection. There is stability tests involved as well. Lots of info online about it... a TC initiative.
Isn't the stability test required for the C numbers regardless?

This is happening and only going to be enforced more, they trying to get rid of the bad and ilegal guides that have killed people in past. Guys with no certs or experience that are taking paying people out with no clue on the water.
I see it all the time they make a web page and facebook page (NO 'C" numbers ) and all of a sudden they are the "guide"
Persoanlly I wish they would Fine these guys. we have a few in sooke and they are aware of the situation....

this is a reincarnation of the blue decal program for "C" licensed charter operators. Once you "voluntarily" start with the program you are obligated to file a report yearly.

So where saying this legit but a bad idea? I have C numbers for my boat. I did login and everything seems legit with the website. The question section seems quite detailed in term of requirements.I
Its accually a great idea as it shows your a professional honest it should be manditory woule get rid of alot of problems. If you have nothing to hide its easy...

The decal is good for 5 yrs… you have a legal responsibility to conform with commercial vessel standards when operating a commercial vessel… this is a guideline to ensure you are compliant. The decal shows authorities at a glance that you are compliant. IMO it’s a good thing…

This is happening and only going to be enforced more, they trying to get rid of the bad and ilegal guides that have killed people in past. Guys with no certs or experience that are taking paying people out with no clue on the water.
I see it all the time they make a web page and facebook page (NO 'C" numbers ) and all of a sudden they are the "guide"
Persoanlly I wish they would Fine these guys. we have a few in sooke and they are aware of the situation....
There’s lots in Rupert as well
this should be standard practice

Back