English Bay Cruise Ship?

Pippen

Anybody know why there is a cruise ship in English Bay out amongst the freighters this time of year?

Anybody know why there is a cruise ship in English Bay out amongst the freighters this time of year?
Maybe too tall for the bridge till the tide goes out

Maybe waiting for the Seaspan dry dock to open?
I agree with the ship is probably waiting to get into Vancouver Shipyard for dry docking, if it is a smaller ship. With the Canadian dollar being $1.30 for every $1 US, a lot of the cruise ships come to Canada to get refit. Canada has some of the best tradesmen and produces the highest quality work in the world.

Back in the early 2000s and with the Canadian $$ low, there was a mad rush of cruise ships making there way into the Esquimalt Graving Dock in Victoria for hull and interior work.

I was working there as a Project Manger and few people know that the Esq Dry Dock is the largest private sector dry dock on the west coast of the Americas and can fit any ship that can got though the Panama Cannel. Esq also has a 150, 80, 30-ton luff cranes which makes work go faster.

Victoria and Vancouver shipyards are both Seaspan and owned by the Washington group, so they shift work back and forth depending on availability. Now with the Esq mainly being used by the military, a lot of work is now going to Vancouver.

Is it the one they discovered the stack had to be removed in Esquimalt to get it under the bridge? Apparently quite the mess since the crane couldn't lift it. Stack had to lose weight. The peir was to small for the ship so tugs had to be present 24/7.

Last edited:
Yo can see it out there now although the webcam resolution isn’t that good.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.png
    IMG_0030.png
    820.8 KB · Views: 70
Its called the Isabelle. Ro-Ro/Passenger Ship. Travelled from Puerto Quetzal in Guatemala.

Its called the Isabelle. Ro-Ro/Passenger Ship. Travelled from Puerto Quetzal in Guatemala.

I assume that Ro-Ro is roll on, roll off passenger ship, that is interesting.

Back