Coho and Pinks

we were right off the tip of secretary and the coho's were everywhere - pinks, not so much for us, but we were only there for a short while. Pinks may be better further out (typically are)

We were at the West Race and didnt fish any farther out than Rosedale. We were into pinks and a lot of them, lots of ho's 3/4 - 1 hatches, a bunch of sox and a smaller springs... One good whack though

Have not seen these numbers of coho in many years. Does anyone have a theory as to why so many this year. One rumour I heard is that the US hatcheries have really stepped up production, is that true?
I am also curios if all hatchery fish are fin clipped or only a percentage for research purposes?

Yeah, that is a good question. I would also like to know where all those cohos are heading for. Maybe Puget Sound fish. Could be Fraser too. From what I know, the US hatcheries pretty much clip all fish. Canadian hatcheries very few.

My guess would be that yes US hatcheries have stepped up alot. but also just hte sheer quantity of bait that has moved into the sooke area has the fish that usually hold on swiftsure bank all the way in here. Just a theory though. Anyone else want to take a stab at this one who knows there stuff???

-Steve

Not all hatchery fish are clipped. Clipping is very labour intensive, and most hacheries on the Island are run by volunteers. As such they lack the man power to clip. Also, I know of at least one that stopped clipping in part because they wanted more of their fish to come home.

I am glad you guys are finding so many, cuz I all but struck out on them yesterday. Maybe try again on the weekend.

quote:Originally posted by Steelhead S2

Not all hatchery fish are clipped. Clipping is very labour intensive, and most hacheries on the Island are run by volunteers. As such they lack the man power to clip.
Yes, but the guys that use this knowledge to justify keeping one or more unclipped fish are still poachers in my opinion. I've heard this talk at cleaning tables sometimes. I find confronting people holding knives to be unwise, and I like to think they are the small minority that karma will kick in the knackers soon enough. ( not accusing anyone on here)

One thing you have to remember is NOW people are going out looking for pinks and we are just seeeing the coho as people are not in tight like we normally fish.
The coho were there, always have been its just we are targeting them thats all wasnt toooooo long ago that this was the norm in july.

One thing I would love to see dfo do is let us go out and get your 2 coho doesnt matter if they are wild or clipped get 2 and your done and save what is there to continue on!!
seems VERY pointless to go through 20 or 30 fish to get 2 hatchery?????WTF as the mortality rate is going to be high its a real shame to toss back a gill hooked wild coho and watch it float away as you know its dead and you know we all have done had to do it the other day with client ons the boat and it makes me feel sick to my stomach as I know that fish is dead what a waste!!!! and it pisses me off.

So why not go out get 2 fish and then your off?????again another dumb butt descision by fisheries!!!

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by wolf

One thing you have to remember is NOW people are going out looking for pinks and we are just seeeing the coho as people are not in tight like we normally fish.
The coho were there, always have been its just we are targeting them thats all wasnt toooooo long ago that this was the norm in july.

One thing I would love to see dfo do is let us go out and get your 2 coho doesnt matter if they are wild or clipped get 2 and your done and save what is there to continue on!!
seems VERY pointless to go through 20 or 30 fish to get 2 hatchery?????WTF as the mortality rate is going to be high its a real shame to toss back a gill hooked wild coho and watch it float away as you know its dead and you know we all have done had to do it the other day with client ons the boat and it makes me feel sick to my stomach as I know that fish is dead what a waste!!!! and it pisses me off.

So why not go out get 2 fish and then your off?????again another dumb butt descision by fisheries!!!

Wolf

amen wolf - that was always my gripe about fishing the banks in renfrew - it is pathetic the way DFO has us set up now to sift through and handle (typically) so many coho just to find the ones we can take home. I wrote to them about that last year - they expressed concern, but was anything done? Of course not! Clueless government officials! [xx(]

Wolf is 100% correct. Do any of the decision makers at DFO get out fishing if they did they would know exactly what we are all talking about. Do you think it would ever make a difference if we or a guide ever offered to take out one of the DFO brass or take a video tape to show them how many fish are handled. Another quick point I try and follow correct catch and release being as gentle with the fish and keeping it in the water as much as possible but you watch some guys they dont seem to care at all just catch them as fast as you can until you get your hatchery fish. I have always thought the rule should be you keep the first two fish you catch saving a lot of fish a lot of stress and miss handling. Realeasing a coho with bleeding gills just seems like predator/seal food.

WDFW now has a 'trailer' with an automated clipping system. they simply move this trailer to whatever hatchery is about to release fish and clip the lot. they always ask the fishing clubs for volunteer labor to move the fish in and out, never a problem getting more folks than they can use.

now the indian hatcheries apparently have seen fit to not clip fish. so do you have a 'wild' fish? no way to tell unless everyone is onboard the program.

hatchery fish, it has been demonstrated sixteen ways from sunday, are a negative impact on wild fish. the more of them we can catch, the better. i can understand the frustration folks feel when they have to release an unclipped fish, but the fish ain't at fault, the hatchery managers are. get on your local high horse and get them to clip, it's the one and only way.

Back