Coating for Spoons???

S

steve41

Hi Guys,
Last year I was using these spoons in Bamfield and they were working great until the finish started to come off (Laminated finish on one side) I think they were Gibbs spoons not sure. Any idea on how to coat them so this does'nt happen without affecting the weight or action of the spoon. I only have a couple left and I dont know who makes them and I can't seem to find them in our local Tackel shops, like I said I think they are Gibbs but who knows they sure work good.
Thanks Steve41:D

Oddly enough i saw a "How its made" on the weekend on how spoons are made. As I recall they are dipped in copper and nickel, then painted and then dipped in lacquer. Maybe try re dipping in a light lacquer.

Oddly enough i saw a "How its made" on the weekend on how spoons are made. As I recall they are dipped in copper and nickel, then painted and then dipped in lacquer. Maybe try re dipping in a light lacquer.

I've been spraying my new coyotes with Verathane prior to putting new hooks on them. Seems to make the finish last longer. I hang them from fishing line and do a batch at a time. Prior to putting them in the tackle box, with new hooks on, I give them a rub with the same anchovy paste I squeeze inside my hootchies.

Seems rather ridiculous to put this much effort into a spoon that you are paying for... but they work so I'm not going to knock the setup...

I've been spraying my new coyotes with Verathane prior to putting new hooks on them. Seems to make the finish last longer. I hang them from fishing line and do a batch at a time. Prior to putting them in the tackle box, with new hooks on, I give them a rub with the same anchovy paste I squeeze inside my hootchies.

Seems rather ridiculous to put this much effort into a spoon that you are paying for... but they work so I'm not going to knock the setup...

Sir
I do the same but have not change the hooks.
After reading other posts I will be swapping hooks
Question to you, what hooks do you change to.
If anyone else has tried new hooks what brand are you using?
GLG

Sir
I do the same but have not change the hooks.
After reading other posts I will be swapping hooks
Question to you, what hooks do you change to.
If anyone else has tried new hooks what brand are you using?
GLG

I use a 5/0 Mustad that bends back towards the shank a little and is offset. Can't remember the hook #, but any quality hook with a slight backwards bend at the point and an offset is good. It's seem like a majority of other folks use a 4/0 but I've had good success with the 5/0s. I used to buy closed eye hooks and play with sliding them onto the split rings as I was worried about getting a tight close on the eye but after enough fiddling I now buy open eyed hooks and just close them down hard with pliers, MUCH faster.

It kinda goes without saying but make sure you attach the hook facing the right way when your subbing them out.....

Try Tomic Spoons. They are made in your country and don't flake off like the cheap tin ones made in the Orient. Just my opinion. Good luck and buy North American.

Thank Sir . I just read in another thread that seawolf uses a Gamagatsu Open Siwash.
Seems to me that is similar to the Mustad you described.
Was going thru my tool kit today looking for barbs (none) but my hooks do look sad.
Going shopping and will get an assortment.
That way I might able to match up size to keep the spoons working the same.
I use blue/black hooks at browns bay for chum don’t know why they like’m but they do.
I think they are the mustad, I take the pliers and give them an offset.
And I’ll throw out there keep them sticky sharp because it works.
GLG

Has any one tried circle hooks on spoons? I like the holding ability of circle hooks but don't know if they would change the action of the spoon

want to try a pretty decent Mustad hook, look at the 10839bln series. They are not plated for saltwater but are a black nickel finish. Only available in small packs from #1-6/0 and have been on the market for only a couple of years.

3366.gif

Thanks LC. I actually sent them an email back in the spring with my initial season-prep shopping list that was around $1.5K of stuff and never heard back from them so I went locally.... Mayby I'll give them another try with my mid season order, would be nice not to have to tie my own hootchie rigs, getting lazy :)

Back