Cleaning vinyl windows in boat tops

abbyfireguy

Just like the title says. My windows and drop curtains need a little cleaning. Any secrets? They are in pretty good shape just don't want to use anything that will damage them..

Pledge cleaner. Works great

Plexus is the ticket for the windows, restores them to nice and clear again

plexus is good its uses in aerospace a lot.... I never did though use it on vinyl. Other plastics and poly-carbonates but never vinyl...Sure it would be OK.. I remember it being very expensive...

I use it all the time on my Grady isinglass with great results and no side effects

Yeah I use to use that stuff on metal film coated plastic parts, and Fresnel lenses... Stuff worked awesome. SG power in Vic introduced us to to that stuff. I guess guys with motorbikes use it all the time for there visors.

isinglass is expensive. Plexus is formulated to specifically polish and clean it I'm guessing Pledge is for furniture and may have harmful solvents in it. If you are a risk taker I'm sure is great. If u want your glass to last. Buy Plexus at West Marine.

I have used Pledge for the last 15 years on all my vinyl windows and have never seen any harmful effects from it. Not saying there is anything else to use, just that it does work and know quite a few others that use it as well. Plexus is $30 a can and that seems a little expensive to clean you windows IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Meguirs plastic polish and detailer on all my plastics and vinyl, it works as well as plexus and is much cheaper.
Works great on gauge faces, dash bezels, and headlights as well.

aerospace 303 is like 15.00 a bottle... A smaller one around 9.00 usually last me a year or so. I forgot to mention it is recommend for top gun fabric not sunbrella...they have a fabric guard in 303 for sunbrella...I usually used to do mine twice a year...It reseals and protects stitching. the cool thing about 303 is it will fill in minor scratches.... I don't know about pledge...I know lots of guys that use it on windows...But this is what is recommended and its not more expensive and smells better than pledge..

Most marine places carry it... West marine here has it. I buy it from a local place one the island... Not sure about Vancouver....

When you guys say Pledge, is that just like regular lemon pledge furniture polish or a multi surface type stuff? Thinking the regular stuff would leave an oily film, wouldn't it?

regular Pledge, no film no residue. took my slightly yellow windows and made them clear again, good stuff

wow i just used pledge on my vinyl windows holy sh%t.and i thought my windows were clean thanks for the tip.great tip

Back