Circle Hooks for Salmon Trolling?

Percy Stipec

Happy Saturday everyone I hope lots of you are filling up some coolers today. I’ve been rigging up hoochies this morning and wondering how a circle hook would do for this type of setup and others. The reason I’ve been thinking about this is I’ve been trying to come up with ways to reduce my mortality rate on the shakers and was thinking perhaps a circle hook wouldn’t be conducive to their small mouths and maybe I would hook less of them. Has anybody else tried this? I’ve tried using wider gap hooks but I’m still getting them. Although there may be now way to completely dodge them Im willing to take measures to reduce my bycatch as much as possible. What do you guys find works the best?

I've tried them a few times with limited success. I think the problem is that a circle hook needs to be held in the mouth as the fish swims away. I think that while trolling it's more of a snatch and grab? and therefor the lower hookup rate? The few I did land had the hook nicely at the side of the mouth. Perhaps I need to spend more time experimenting.

I've tried them a few times with limited success. I think the problem is that a circle hook needs to be held in the mouth as the fish swims away. I think that while trolling it's more of a snatch and grab? and therefor the lower hookup rate? The few I did land had the hook nicely at the side of the mouth. Perhaps I need to spend more time experimenting.
Agree 100% on the type of bite is different than the predominant circle hook application

Thought I read that fishing with plugs caught less shakers...? I'm willing to try it. I need to use less bait...painful when in Shaker town.

IMO - trolling with release clips is the problem for using circle hooks - the warm water way of trolling circles is to have the drag just BARELY tight enough to stop line pulling out. The fish can run away and there isnt an instant sharp pull/tug like popping the release clip. that sharp jerk pulls the circle hook too quickly and right out. The loose drag from warm water trolling pulls the hook much slower giving the hook a chance to turn into the jaw.
Old skool live mooching would work with circles I'm sure

I've been using circle hooks successfully this year with hoochies. Lead hook free sliding inserted 1/2 way with trailing hook tied and trailing.
Definitely be slow to react, no hook set, just a steady application of pressure.
My PB 28lb spring on this:
20221001_135750.jpg
A few nice coho on:
20220919_114613.jpg

need to get a decent stainless barbless version from one of the makers out there ....

as stated no need to strike.. used them buzz bombing on the beach and worked a treat on small fish next to no damage .

also will work better as a down turn eye or on a modded bent hook for like carp and cat fishing style ...

Circle hooks are designed for a less aggressive bite than typically takes place with a hoochie, so I'm not sure it will work well. If the reason for experimenting with hooks is to reduce release mortality one of the main factors contributing to mortal injury is hook size. I base that on experiences doing steelhead broodstock fishing where fish were held for months after capture and hatchery staff could observe post release injuries. Small hooks resulted in fewer injuries, even when bait was used. In fact, bait wasn't really a factor - however hook size was. Another observation was initially we were encouraged to use cotton gloves to assist handling and placing the fish into transport tubes. We learned that was a very bad idea, as weeks later a fungus developed on the wrist of the tail where we handled the fish with gloves. Removed the gloves going forward and no problems thereafter. I suspect using nets will also have the same effect with released fish when people net fish to remove hooks.

The SFI and UBC are conducting a Fishery Related Incidental Mortality (FRIM) study over 2 years in Barkley Sound. That will shed more science-based light on the mechanism of injuries leading to mortality from fishery encounters. There should be a set of best practices flowing from the research findings once the study concludes in 2023.

Circle hooks are designed for a less aggressive bite than typically takes place with a hoochie, so I'm not sure it will work well. If the reason for experimenting with hooks is to reduce release mortality one of the main factors contributing to mortal injury is hook size.
The reason I have chosen circle hooks is my slow reaction time to get to the rod. As I am rowing a dory, I was experiencing lots of strikes that shook free by the time the oars were down (the boat stops) and I picked up the rod. I believe switching to circle hooks improved hook-sets.

The reason I have chosen circle hooks is my slow reaction time to get to the rod. As I am rowing a dory, I was experiencing lots of strikes that shook free by the time the oars were down (the boat stops) and I picked up the rod. I believe switching to circle hooks improved hook-sets.
Roger that, looking forward to hearing more about the success rate.

Roger that, looking forward to hearing more about the success rate.
I modified my setup this year to a siwash (plugs, jig assists, or spoons) or octopus (hoochies) with a circle trailer. Managed 2 for 3 hits this morning. Both securely circle hooked in the corner of the mouth.
20230801_180221.jpg
Lead band for action, 2nd and third to position siwash and hold a small strip of herring.

Used to live in Florida where Circle hooks were mandatory for Billfish Tournaments. Bought a bunch of 5/0 stainless mustad and bent the barbs and never looked back.

We use the Circle hooks on our spoons as well with great results.

No problem with hookups, you will find. Just put a few beads in the hootchie to increase the space between the head and the hook.

Best memory was having been followed by a Seaswirl Striper follow us around Hoise Point for a morning. The boat was from Campbell River, fishing out of Moutcha Bay, and was owned by a German fellow, the boat was named something along the lines of "Alkamie"

On our third fish, he managed to run across our line with his downrigger down and snag the line. He managed to bring up the rigger, and the fish had wrapped around the ball and the other fisherman was in the better position to net the fish, and did so. First thing he did was unhook the fish and look at the hook.

He thought we were fishing with barbed hooks, and he apologized. He had never seen a circle hook, and could not believe the number of times our fish jumped but still stayed on. I gave him a 5 pack of 5/0 Circle hooks to try.

We have had springs jump 5 times 20 yards off our boat, and still get landed as the circle hook does not pop out unless rotated and pushed inwards.

Circle hooks are a bit tricky on anchovies and you have to use a 2/0 trailing hook in the tail to increase hook ups for short strikes, but the do a wonderful job on a Rhys Davis head holder as long as you pin the line with toothpicks to hold the 5/0 main hook in the proper position.

As for Stainless, we cannot find them anymore, but the Vanadium hooks made by VMC are just as rust resistant and hold the edge nicely for the point of the hook. VMC hooks are not very maliable, so don't try bending with pliers or they just break.

Drewski

going to try the Maruto 348SSC in a 5/0 we will see how this one works on the hoochies as i like to only run singlesIMG_1791.JPG

Last edited:
Back