Circle Hooks for Hali fishing?

islanderguy

I generally use a tandem 9/0 Gammy "J" hook setup with some pretty good success of a spreader bar and 2 lb weight. As a gear junkie, I've bought quite a few circle hooks to try out but always been a bit reluctant to use them. I understand they are generally used commercially on long lines. Anyone use them on a spreader bar with any success?

i live by them.they take patience to use but are always hooked in the lip so are easy to release fish.imo if anyone plans on releasing big halis they should use these.using single hooks that gut hook a hali makes it very hard to release and cutting the line runs the risk of the fish dying.I have released plenty of big halis with circler hooks and its quite easy to twist the hook out with a gaff or just tear the lip(wont kill them)

I started with circle hooks and found that they work if you leave the rod in the holder and they hook themselves. The regular hooks work best on the spreader bar. You tend to pull the circle hook out of the fishes mouth without hooking it.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Resist the urge to set the hook. It will grab as soon as the fish bites, and work itself in fairly quickly as the fish moves around. Once hooked, 0 change of coming unhooked. That being said, I am not a hali fisherman, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The only way to go if you want to release any halis, easy clean releases, just a twist of the gaff and there gone. Great if you take the kids out they dont have to set the hook and they can leave the rod in the holded to bring them in.

You will catch more and bigger fish using circles. Let them start to swim with the hook and just keep a tension. They hook themselves, and once hooked, literally cannot shake the hook out.

and yes they are much easier to get loose.

check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryGsOFBXu70
When halibut take the bait, they suck it deep down in the gullet. As they swim away and your line starts to pull out of the corner of the mouth, the circle hook first catches the inside of the jaw, and then snaps to around the jaw bone.

And be sure the put your solid leader in through the front of the eye. 50% better hooking success. See figure 1 on Page 406
http://www.iphc.washington.edu/HALCOM/pubs/rara/2000RARA/RARA00_12.pdf
The trick here also is hook size. A 14/0 hook is best for little fish, 15-20 pounds. A 16/0 hook is better for fish over 20 pounds.

quote:Originally posted by Eyes Up Chuck

Also wondering what's "best" bait for hali's on outer banks of Uki when using circle hooks?

Octopus, White Halibut skin cut into strips, Salmon bellies or chunks of the spine after filleting, Herring, Squid, Rockfish fillets...

I like using strips of the white side of the Halibut cut into strips about an inch wide and as long as possible. Thread them onto the hook so that they have about 6 or 8 inches hanging free to flutter in the current and then put on a chunk of Octopus or Salmon.

Whole Herring work well, but are too easily stripped off the hook by Halibut or other bottomfish. If I'm going to use them, I want some Octopus and or Halibut skin on there as well. Otherwise you end up fishing with no bait and bringing your line in after every bit to check bait.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:Originally posted by Eyes Up Chuck

Also wondering what's "best" bait for hali's on outer banks of Uki when using circle hooks?

Octopus, White Halibut skin cut into strips, Salmon bellies or chunks of the spine after filleting, Herring, Squid, Rockfish fillets...

I like using strips of the white side of the Halibut cut into strips about an inch wide and as long as possible. Thread them onto the hook so that they have about 6 or 8 inches hanging free to flutter in the current and then put on a chunk of Octopus or Salmon.

Whole Herring work well, but are too easily stripped off the hook by Halibut or other bottomfish. If I'm going to use them, I want some Octopus and or Halibut skin on there as well. Otherwise you end up fishing with no bait and bringing your line in after every bit to check bait.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

circle hooks are the way to go , especially when im out with the kids, they dont have to set the hook, it does it, just cant be quick on the set .

i'm no expert but i have watched and learned from folks who rig bait for a variety of game fish. so here is how i rig whole herring for halibut: hook of choice, from the top of the fish puncture through and behind the jaw pulling hook and leader all the way through; lay the hook along side the herring with the hook eye about even with the front of the gill plate; hook the herring so the hook point is sticking out the oppposite side above the backbone; use ordinary dental floss, tie the hook shank to the herring just behind the gill plate.

will keep the herring from being sucked off and the halibut get to clean their teeth at the same time.

Back