Chum????

Im thinkin of trolling spoons and hoochies in the inlet , but cant find out how far im aloud in the inlet , I am getting mixed info

Yup, a few years ago around this time, we were prawining in Saanich Inlet and there were tons of chums traveling in tights school on the surface right off the old cement factory in bamberton they were heading down towards Goldstream. It was amazing to see, if one tried to target them you would fill the boat there. That area is very open to fishing just not allowed to catch chinooks and Coho. Its only closed for all fin fish in front of Mill bay and Finlayson Arm area see the "Map"!!
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/cowichantovic_e.htm
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area19_e.htm

Mill bay--In a portion of Sub-area 19-8: Those waters of Saanich Inlet inside a line from Whiskey Point to Verdier Point are closed to fishing for all finfish, from September 15 to November 30.

Finlayson Arm area--- Sub-area 19-12, Saanich Inlet: Those waters of Finlayson Arm southerly of a line drawn true east from Christmas Point to the opposite shore are closed to fishing for all finfish, from September 1 to November 30.
Map

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area19_e.htm

It's open for Coho Oct. 1 You just are not allowed to keep Chinooks.. definatly open for chum!!

In Subareas 19-7 to 19-10 (Saanich Inlet), non-retention of chinook is in effect August 1 to October 15, 2006.

Coho Openings

The daily limit for coho will be two (2) , only one (1) of which may be wild, effective October 1 to December 31, 2006.

I asked about the exact same thing my first year down here - a little investigating found that apparently these guys just aren't in a mood at all to bite that close to the river, so no one really bothers trying. A far cry from the active bite up in CR.....

If anyone does try and does have success, please post - just remember they aren't coming until beginning of November!

That is true, might be a little early still.. .. we saw the chum traveling in front of Bamberton that one year it was right around Halloween. now that I remember I took some pictures of that trip I just looked at the date stamp on the pics were Oct. 26. The chum would be definalty be very dark by then and harder to catch, however where's there a will theres a way..;)

Will give it a go again this year. Some of our members were claiming to do o.k.
Maybe I can bribe them for the 'secret' method.

We had one awesome day last year in November, and have had limited success on a few other outings. We've never been able to be consistent on the damn things and have invested many hours for relatively few fish.

What success we have had has been on flashers and either pink & blue squirts or UV hootchies trolled between about 20 and 90 feet. Our best success came in mid channel right off Pat Bay fishing around jumpers. I will always remember the one day when we simply couldn't keep them off, but there were at least 10 other days that were lessons in frustration - fish all around you (sometimes literally hitting the boat!) and not a sniff for hours. We usually managed one or two, (for about 4 - 6 hours fishing)but given the huge schools of fish, I'd suggest that they typically don't bite well in this area. Not like north of the Narrows in the Campbell River area, anyway.

I moved to Victoria this summer so its unlikely I'll be chasing Chums this Autumn (the odds are just too long, and Juan De Fuca still has many secrets left for me to discover!)but best of luck to those of you who try. And hey, it sure beats sitiing on the couch, right?

Tight lines...

GB

Back