chum bag on anchor for halis?

Trowser

Is it illegal to attach a chum bag to you anchor? If not, would you recommend it for fishing halis? keep in mind this is for the sooke/victoria area

Thanks,
Trowser

As water flows past your anchor/chum bag it would take scent down past your gear. The thought is that hali's find their lunch using scent so they would swim upstream from behind your boat towards your gear and anchor.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

I have read the regs, and nowhere does it mention it's illegal
to leave a scent trail ??
I think Fisheries could make a case that using a chum bag meant introducing particles of meat because as we all know that's what a chum bag does it's not just scent but chunks of meat in a coarse mesh.

Not saying I agree but that's how they think it's all about control.

so instead of a chum bag attach a prawn trap with a big bait bag in it, scent trail goes down stream and might just get some prawns

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

so instead of a chum bag attach a prawn trap with a big bait bag in it, scent trail goes down stream and might just get some prawns

Now that's a good idea.

I've tried it. It works very well, the longer you are there the bigger they get. It's a bit of a hassel to anchor etc. I drift mostly.

poppa, prawn trap off the anchor line sounds like a pretty good loop hole to me. Next time you guys pull up your prawn or crab traps, drop a jig down next to it and give it a couple jerks. You might be pleasantly surprised.....I've caught some pretty easy butts this way.:D

quote:Originally posted by doubletake

poppa, prawn trap off the anchor line sounds like a pretty good loop hole to me. Next time you guys pull up your prawn or crab traps, drop a jig down next to it and give it a couple jerks. You might be pleasantly surprised.....I've caught some pretty easy butts this way.:D

Isn't it hard on the prawn trap getting yarded up by the anchor yanker?

I also heard of just sending down a chum bag on an extra rod up at the bow, although you'd think you might as well just put a hook on that line.

Another method is to double paper bag a baseball sized whack of chum and staple it onto your line. Drop your gear down give it a couple of quick jerks and the wet bag tears and releases the chum right on top of your gear.

Not sure if it counts as chumming since it is attached to your line. I haven't tried them but just some tips I've heard.

Ive wondered that same question and have scoured the BC Sport Fishing Regs and found nothing.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/frame/cr/SOR-96-137///en

Also nothing in the sport fishing guide

The only thing close is
62. Subject to these Regulations, no person shall deposit any substance into the water for the purpose of attracting fish.

but this is under fishing for finfish in non tidal waters so I would challange fisheries to point where in the fisheries act you could not use a scent trail.

I have tried chum bags and like Tailspin said I got more dogfish.

Back