Chinook MSF proposals for Spring/Early summer 2023 (Chinook Hatchery Retention)

Someone who has the ability should make a press release about this. I do not have that ability :(
Careful what you choose to put in a press release.
What you will get is both the pro sport fishery position and the anti sport fishery position and you can guess which one will win with the general public.

Pro industry, anti industry, in the days we live here in Canada is all about anti

How about pro let's let our citizens and licence holders go get a fish.

Or at least try. Sounds like a good day to me

Steer away from the orcas of course

Watershed watch, Suzuki foundation and raincoast are going after he's proposals hard!

Yeah they actually are stating publicly on the Salish Sea Orca FB page that fish mortality is 50% from some study at UBC which is complete
lie. Then when questioned they strat going on that all fish hatcheries should close down. Personally they are all over the place with this one.

Interesting though I have been told that these petitions really have little weight on the decision. The only thing though is Suzuki does have the ministers ear so we need to be aware of that.

We pretty much know who the charter operations pushing for these openings came from. The funny thing again is it wasn't charters "Secondary" that were pushing for it. It was general public. The "Primary" ones.

Last edited:
Interesting though I have been told that these petitions really have little weight on the decision.

sure at the local DFO level they will recommend to the minister to accept the proposals as they are low risk. But make no mistake our minister is an activist and has a track record of not accepting DFO science and staffs advice.

Then there is local first nation advice, I have not seen what they have said about the proposals but if there is some support from them that would help immensely.

Someone who has the ability should make a press release about this. I do not have that ability :(
Public Fishery Alliance will be presenting a response to this misinformation. So many lies in what they're sharing that the public needs to be better informed.

You should give your support to the PFA

Public Fishery Alliance will be presenting a response to this misinformation. So many lies in what they're sharing that the public needs to be better informed.

You should also respond too the lies spread on our SFAB processes being spread through steelhead voices website. Have a read at the articles.

His minion keeps posting articles on here.

Shameful!

Last edited:

Nice. I joined that group when they first started it. Donated some coin.

Had to laugh at this one this morning in Watershed Watch FB page. I love the many of us are avid anglers statement click bait wording.

Watershed Watch supports thriving wild salmon runs and the fishing opportunities they provide. Many of us are avid recreational fishers who love bringing fish home to our families. To ensure future generations have these same opportunities, we must take a precautionary approach when opening new fisheries, to protect endangered salmon runs. For these reasons, we are asking the Fisheries Minister to invest more time to assess and consult on proposed fisheries that will kill endangered Fraser River Chinook. More information here: https://watershedwatch.ca/media-rel...ies-that-will-harm-endangered-chinook-salmon/

Last edited:
Had to laugh at this one this morning in Watershed Watch FB page. I love the many of us are avid anglers statement click bait wording.

Watershed Watch supports thriving wild salmon runs and the fishing opportunities they provide. Many of us are avid recreational fishers who love bringing fish home to our families. To ensure future generations have these same opportunities, we must take a precautionary approach when opening new fisheries, to protect endangered salmon runs. For these reasons, we are asking the Fisheries Minister to invest more time to assess and consult on proposed fisheries that will kill endangered Fraser River Chinook. More information here: https://watershedwatch.ca/media-rel...ies-that-will-harm-endangered-chinook-salmon/
That is the most phony statement ever. They try to propagate such misinformation such as 50% mortality on catch and release!

That is the most phony statement ever. They try to propagate such misinformation such as 50% mortality on catch and release!
Agreed when released properly ,
but when guys post photo's of there catch hold the salmon for a photo op and after taking a group photo. shooting the fish like a torpedo back into the wild you can see where this false info comes from.
Many guys on this forum have defended this practice, BUT
Like I have said, some fishers are are own worse enemy!

No sure if you can open this YouTube video, but it's common practice and has been defended by members of this forum.

Agreed when released properly ,
but when guys post photo's of there catch hold the salmon for a photo op and after taking a group photo. shooting the fish like a torpedo back into the wild you can see where this false info comes from.
Many guys on this forum have defended this practice, BUT
Like I have said, some fishers are are own worse enemy!
There's been a recent catch and release study done by UBC. Survival numbers were quite good. I think that many anglers have improved their fish handling skills with education out there. We all want to see our salmon survive when we release them. Many of us are now using catch and release nets. DFO can always adjust gear regulations as well as a means to reduce impacts. 50% is just ridiculous statement by these groups!

Back