Chinook MSF proposals for Spring/Early summer 2023 (Chinook Hatchery Retention)

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
These are our latest SFAB Chinook proposals for Spring/Early summer 2023 directed to the department. These proposals will be on the SBC Salmon Integrated Harvest Planning Committee agenda Feb. 8th.

This will be discussed at all the local SFAC areas this spring ,so may be good idea to attend.

Have a look at the document.

Attachments

• Attachment 1_Southern BC Chinook - 2023 MSF Pilots-1.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 259
These are our latest SFAB Chinook proposals for Spring/Early summer 2023 directed to the department. These proposals will be on the SBC Salmon Integrated Harvest Planning Committee agenda Feb. 8th.

This will be discussed at all the local SFAC areas this spring ,so may be good idea to attend.

Have a look at the document.
It’s better than what we had last year. Gives us some spots in area 28 to play in until the end of May.

Good to see this proposal! SFI, SFAB, SVIAC, PFA, etc. and especially all rec fishers need to keep pushing DFO and their political masters to make this happen now.

A marked fishery for areas close to the Fraser River is good management backed by science and the way of the future. Many coastal economies and business need this. DFO has been dragging their feet on this for too long!

is there any proposal even on the table to have any sort of fishery in area 13, 14, or 17 (aside from around tent island)???

In the slate of purposal there is a bunch of sub area"s in 17 that should be opening.. We are currently looking at a couple other area's that are data supported in area17 to be purposed for 2024.. If you see a area that is not currently in the purposal in area 17 get ahold of me and we can see about getting either a motion in play or i can dig out data for it and see igf it is in the relm of the possiablity :)

I know everyone involved is trying their best, if that's it for area 17 that's really disappointing. Nothing for anyone fishing off Nanoose, Nanaimo or Gabriola, i.e. all the popular areas.

There is a new propsal being looked at at our next SFAC 17 meeting for consideration for the 2023/24 IFMP.. One must remember that there is a certian criteria needed to be able to move forward with MSF fishery with the support a catch data.. Baby steps as we move forward

Last edited:
The way things are headed with the latest liberal CCP election interference we may have a new minister very soon, real change will start there.

I know everyone involved is trying their best, if that's it for area 17 that's really disappointing. Nothing for anyone fishing off Nanoose, Nanaimo or Gabriola, i.e. all the popular areas.
It's all based on the DNA data. The proposed area has limited to no sign of stocks of concern (early Fraser etc) in the recreational and Avid Angler collected biosamples. Nanoose etc are all areas where these populations have shown up in higher numbers. A simple, but impossible to avoid, problem, if the conservation of these stocks remains a priority.

Don't know. I did found out directly our Area 17 meeting that these have to be approved by minister, and she still has final say. A lot of work has gone into these by Regional DFO so fingers crossed.

The NGO lobby is really working hard to prevent this from happening. Raincoast Conservation under Mysty McDuffee alone has been in part most of the vocal opposing any recreational fishery period. Greg Taylor from Watershed is also going around complaining we are unmonitered and commercial fisheries are much better. Suzuki is also lobbying.

Another mistruth that the NGO group is spreading is how this will benefit guides. Many areas listed SOG don't even have guiding in them. For apple I know no guides that area.

Added to that also the representatives from several FN are opposed but..... There are some FN that are for this. For example in Area20 this would be interesting to say no Port Renfrew and Becher Bay/ FN who are in favor.

Seems like lots of greed, and shame on NGO groups. They are real piece of work right now.

Back